Notices
Northeast Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

New York- Quarter panel rust

Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 New York- Quarter panel rust

Does anyone know any good/ cheap(er) shop that can fix/weld the infamous quarter panel rust spot on a eg?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New York- Quarter panel rust

unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Cheap/er shops tend not to cut out the rusted portions or if they do they use something like kitty hair or fiberglass to rebuild the quarters to look decent. These jobs never last. If you want the job to last 2+ years without coming back worse than before then you need to pay.

I did the same thing, paid a shop $750 to repair very small rust bubbles on both quarter panels. within 9 months the rust was back and even worse. It had spread from about the size of a nickle to the entire quarter panel. I chose to repair the rust myself this time to ensure it was done right.

Often times you need to consider, is this car even work $3-5,000 worth of body work to properly repair the rust or should i just get a new shell or live with the rust.

Tons of shops will offer you rust repair for under $1000 but you will end up with a poor repair. Proper repairs will take 80+ hours of labor. Just look at my body restoration and other online to see what all is involved. The outer skin you see rusting is just the tip of the iceberg, its much worse underneath.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jlk16188
^^^^^ this + 3M Panel Bond = what i need to do

p.s. panel bond gets excellent reveiws
Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3m panel bond works well if the outer panel is all you are replacing. If you have typical honda rust then it has spread into the inner finders, rocker panels and inner structure which requires all of the rust to be cut out, new pieces fabricated and welded in. I had very little rust inside of my quarter panels but still needed to make a few patches in the inner wheel wells.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yeah im sure ill need some rocker panel welding. not gonna fiberglass resin that ****. but a large amount of metal will be replaced
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlk16188
unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Cheap/er shops tend not to cut out the rusted portions or if they do they use something like kitty hair or fiberglass to rebuild the quarters to look decent. These jobs never last. If you want the job to last 2+ years without coming back worse than before then you need to pay.

I did the same thing, paid a shop $750 to repair very small rust bubbles on both quarter panels. within 9 months the rust was back and even worse. It had spread from about the size of a nickle to the entire quarter panel. I chose to repair the rust myself this time to ensure it was done right.

Often times you need to consider, is this car even work $3-5,000 worth of body work to properly repair the rust or should i just get a new shell or live with the rust.

Tons of shops will offer you rust repair for under $1000 but you will end up with a poor repair. Proper repairs will take 80+ hours of labor. Just look at my body restoration and other online to see what all is involved. The outer skin you see rusting is just the tip of the iceberg, its much worse underneath.

i went to a pretty good body shop and they wanted 600$ per side to cut out the rest ans weld the replacement panel(no paint, just primer)...i thought he was just talking out his @$$...
Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM
The Credible Hulk

I'll tell you one thing.

Best inexpensive patch panels BY FAR come from Mill Supply.com

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body...s/honda/civic/

Take them to a decent shop and it should save you a chunk.