Notices

1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan 4 Speed Auto AT Well Maintained

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan 4 Speed Auto AT Well Maintained

Vehicle Information:

Price: $3,750. Somewhat firm, but open and willing to hear reasonable offers. No lowballers please! No trades please!
VIN: Will and can be given upon request
Engine Code: D16Y7
Engine: 1.6 L 4 Cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic transmission
Trim: LX Sedan. On top of the LX's standard features, a CD audio system, anti-theft alarm system, and keyless entry was added (see below for more details).
Observed MPG: I have actually gotten as high as 42 MPG before in this car driving conservatively during an all highway road trip. On average, however, I get around 35 MPG. I drive like a grandpa so it's pretty easy to get that kind of mileage.
Mileage: approximately 150,XXX miles (miles will slowly go up as I am still occasionally driving this vehicle)
Exterior Color Code: Clover Green Pearl Metallic Clearcoat G-95P
Interior Color: Tan/beige
Title in hand
Clean title
Never smoked in
Never tracked
Never raced
2nd Owner (that I know of)
Private Owned - No expressed warranty
Treadlife: Measured at approximately 4.5/32nd = about 45% treadlife left on all 4 tires. Well taken care of rims and tires. Balanced and rotated every year around spring time. Never used in the winter. Rims were cleaned and waxed whenever taken off.

This is a 6th generation of the all popular Honda Civic. The 6th generation Civic was released from 1996-2000 in the U.S. so this particular vehicle is the second to last year it was made within the 6th generation models. This Civic has the updated front fascia, rear tail lights, and internal radio antenna. The interior also undergone a refresh most notably the center console/dash area. With a 1.6L engine, this little Civic is very fuel efficient and perfect as a daily driver whether one is a beginner or experienced driver. This little, nimble car handles well and is very tame. The 6th generation Honda Civics were arguably one of the most popular generations for the Civics. The interior was built with mostly quality, soft materials unlike most entry level cars today that has gone through numerous cost-cutting hard, plastic panels. They do not make cars like they used to these days.

About Me:

My name is Scott. I am very detailed when it comes to my cars as you are about to tell based on the following description to come. I would not want to waste anyone's time nor would I want anyone to waste mine's as well. This is partially why this ad is very descriptive in nature. I am pretty particular when it comes to maintaining and keeping this vehicle in the best, running condition as possible. Most of the work done to the car has been done by me and recorded with as much detail as possible. Just about all of my work done is always done down to torque specs as I know how important it is to follow it. I would not consider myself a master mechanic, however, I do know a decent amount in terms of mechanics. I possess a good understanding of mechanical concepts and do most of the basic mechanical work at home. Despite the looks of the vehicle due to the mods, I drive my cars fairly conservatively and never beat my cars to death in favor of longevity, reliability and gas mileage.

History of the Vehicle:

This particular Civic was purchased by my father for me from an older couple that upgraded to a "nicer" vehicle in summer of 2004 with 47,797 miles. I do not know the history of the vehicle prior to me receiving it nor have I looked up the vehicle history. I have pretty much babied the vehicle upon receiving it. This Civic has a clean title from what I know and has not been into any major accidents. There was a small accident back in 2004 or 2005 where a vehicle backed into my vehicle in a parking lot at low speed. The repairs involved two passenger doors and was repaired by a reputable Honda dealership. The Honda dealership did a great job at repairing and color matching the paint. There was no frame damage. The vehicle to this day still drives straight and true! The front bumper cover was also replaced due to a small mishap where the Civic ran into a tow hitch of a truck at around 3-5 mph. No damage was done to the truck but the bumper cover of my vehicle had seen better days so it was about that time to just replace it and call it a day. Nothing else was damaged other than the bumper especially going a such a slow speed. The vehicle was driven conservatively for the most part. All of the maintenance has also been done such as fluids (brake, power steering, automatic transmission fluid, and coolant) within around 20,000 miles. The timing belt along with all of the accessory belts have been changed as well as retensioned. This should last the next owner about another 75,000 miles before replacing belts. The water pump along with oil seals have been replaced (more details below). Most of the important parts were replaced with Honda OEM/OE parts to ensure the highest quality in repairs. Overall, this vehicle is solid and should last for a long time without any major issues.

Reason for Selling:

I just upgraded to an Si. I have always been a huge fan of Honda and wanted something more fun to drive while being reasonable in gas consumption. I would like to keep this car as a daily driver, but I just do not have time and the resources to take care of multiple vehicles anymore.

Please, no joy riders.

I am currently asking for $3,750 and I am somewhat firm on this price. If you still have another reasonable offer, I am still all ears however. I think my asking price is fair and reasonable considering the condition, mileage, and the time and effort I took to maintain this vehicle. While the records for this vehicle are not official as I did most/all of the work myself, I did take time to record every little detail that was done to it. As I always say, something is better than nothing. I am in no rush to sell. I welcome and encourage anyone that wants to hire a mechanic to take a look at the vehicle at the buyer's expense. At the buyer's expense, I will also cooperate with shipping if necessary.

Condition of the Vehicle:

As to be expected from an 11-12 year old, used vehicle with 150,XXX miles, there are going to be blemishes, rock chips, scratches, door dings, minor dents, etc. that is to be expected from a vehicle of this caliber. There are signs of touch up paint to cover up some of the rock chips/scratches to prevent the metals underneath from corrosion/rust. Nothing out of the ordinary I would say to be concerned about. This car starts up with no problems and with no hesitation. The transmission shifts smoothly and shows no signs of problems. The engine still runs smoothly with no hesitation. The engine bay is dry with no signs of leaks. The exterior of the vehicle is in good but by no means in pristine condition. The paint on the car is very good however, (other than the accident spots on the front bumper and passenger rear door area (more details below)) as I periodically give the car detail and wax jobs. The paint still shines and retains it's luster when it is cleaned. Typically a car with this amount of miles will have a very nasty looking front bumper. I am happy to say that I have replaced that front bumper pretty recently and that will not be much of an issue. Tasteful mods were done to the car to give it a more sporty look, feel, and sound without sacrificing driveability and reliability. There are no engine mods! The offset and width of the aftermarket wheels give the vehicle a more aggressive stance. The wheels and tires are flush with the fenders of the vehicle with no rubbing what-so-ever! Despite this appearance stereotype, I am still one of those conservative drivers. I just enjoy a sporty looking car that also gives off a nice sound. It is all show, which I have long grown out of that phase. I would have to say that the interior is in very good condition with no signs of noticeable, excessible wear. There are no tears in the fabric and or dash components. The underbody of the car shows no signs of major rust and corrosion. Yes, I also wash the under carriage as well as the engine bay of my vehicles. Nothing is neglected although the vehicle may be a bit dirty right now due to my extensive work schedule.

Oil Changes [Capacity with oil filter change (never used Fram)] 3.8Q - 5W-30) 33 lb-ft torque:

Oil Change intervals were kept at every 3,000 miles - 3,500 miles but was not recorded before 10/31/06

10/31/06 - 93,270 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
02/28/07 - 97,301 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
06/01/07 - 100,905 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
Fall 07 - Approximately 104,500 - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Valvoline - Purolator PureONE Oil Filter (PL14459)
01/17/08 - 108,555 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Valvoline - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
03/29/08 - 113,058 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Castrol Syntec - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
10/23/08 - 117,244 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Castrol Syntec - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Quaker State Q - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
03/30/10 - 131,719 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance oil - PureONE oil Filter (PL14459)
10/19/10 - 136,930 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Pennzoil - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
07/02/11 - 143,536 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Pennzoil - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
08/14/12 - 150,097 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)

Exterior/Interior Maintenance/Preservation:

Summer 06 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Fall 06 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Spring 07 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Summer 07 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Fall 07 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Spring 08 - Full detail, wax, interior and engine bay cleanup
Spring 08 - Applied petroleum jelly to all visible electrical contacts to prevent/inhibit rust and corrosion
11/11/09 - 128,668 miles - Full detail, wax, winter prep, interior and engine bay cleanup
10/10/10 - 136,797 miles - Full detail, wax, winter prep, interior and engine bay cleanup
10/06/11 - 144,919 miles - Full detail, wax, winter prep, interior and engine bay cleanup

Maintenance:

Spring 06 - Replaced dim switch - OEM Honda Genuine part
Summer 06 - Replaced dome light bulb
Summer 06 - Approximately 90,000 miles - Replaced front brake pads - Premium
Winter 08 - Replaced battery 51R
04/19/07 - Replaced hood release cable - Done by Collision Craftsmen, Inc.
04/19/07 - Replaced front, driver side power window regulator - Done by Collision Craftsmen, Inc.
Summer 07 - Approximately 100,000 miles - Replaced 4 spark plugs - Bosch Platinum Plus (4030)
Summer 07 - Approximately 100,000 miles - Replaced fuel filter - Honda Genuine, OEM fuel filter
Summer 07 - Approximately 100,000 miles - clean/washed cone air filter element - K&N air filter cleaner kit
Fall 07 - Windshield Wipers replaced - Michelin 20" Driver Side, 18" Passenger Side
Summer 08 - Clean/washed cone air filter element - K&N air filter cleaner kit
Summer 08 - Replaced Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor - OEM Denso oxygen sensor
10/23/08 - 117,244 miles - Full coolant drain and fill - 0.79 Gallon Peak 50/50 Long Life (5 years/150,000 miles) antifreeze coolant
10/24/08 - 117,247 miles - Replaced and upgraded all 4 stem valves on wheels/tires (MSR Rims)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced PCV valve (Honda Genuine Part OEM 17130-PM6-003)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced oil pan gasket (Honda OEM 11251-P2A-014) and all 8 flange bolts (6x18) 95701-06018-08, 4 stud bolts (6x28) 90041-PA5-000, and flange nuts (6mm) 9450-06080 (Honda OEM)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced timing belt (OE supplier CRP Industries Contitech TB224) + tensioner (OE supplier GMB TB 024-119GMB)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced accessory belts - alternator belt (OE supplier Bando 4PK800) + power steering belt (Honda OEM Bando 4PK850 56992-P2A-003)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced all 4 spark plug tube seals (Honda OEM 12342-P2F-A01)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced valve cover gasket (Honda Genuine Part OEM 12341-P2F-A00)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Replaced engine oil seals/gaskets (Honda Genuine Parts)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Full coolant drain and fill - 0.79 Gallon Peak 50/50 Long Life (5 years/150,000 miles) antifreeze coolant
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Full power steering fluid drain and fill
07/24/09 - 124,804 miles - Replaced front pipe (down pipe) after the catalytic converter with new gaskets
08/06/09 - 125,314 miles - Replaced power steering pump O-ring gasket
09/02/09 - 125,881 miles - Replaced Air Filter - APC White Cone Air Filter
09/09/09 - 126,062 miles - Cleaned distributor wires, distributor cap, and rotor contacts
09/09/09 - 126,062 miles - Full brake fluid flush and fill
10/22/09 - 127,905 miles - Replaced radiator cap (Honda Genuine Part OEM 19045-PAA-A01)
08/27/10 - 135,424 miles - Full transmission flush and fill - 4 qt. Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 fluid, 5.9 qt total; 36 lb-ft torque
09/03/10 - 135,493 miles - Timing belt retension and check
09/03/10 - 135,493 miles - Replaced water pump - OE supplier GMB 19200-P2A-A01
09/03/10 - 135,493 miles - Partial coolant drain and fill
09/03/10 - 135,493 miles - Partial power steering fluid drain and fill - Honda Genuine power steering fluid
09/03/10 - 135,493 miles - Replaced power steering pump O-ring gasket
09/14/10 - 136,076 miles - Full power steering fluid drain and fill - OEM Honda Genuine power steering fluid 0.84L (.4L reservoir)

Note: There is still plenty of brake pad life left. I don't accelerate and brake hard so they are holding up just fine.

Miscellaneous Work:

2005 - Ultra white halo (angel eyes) projector headlamps
2005 - Black, clear tail lights
2005 - Short ram air intake (red cone air filter)
2005 - Remote keyless entry with alarm - Code Alarm
2005 - M3 Carbon fiber-look exterior mirrors
2005 - Carbon fiber-look automatic shift **** with boot
2005 - MSR 044 B 17x7.5", 4x100mm lug pattern, 40mm offset lightweight black rims with polished/chrome lip with General Exclaim UHP 205/40 ZR 17 380AA tires (last balanced and rotated on 03/26/2012 @ 148,286 miles) (All four tires measured at 4.5/32nd = about 45% treadlife left) Tires were rotated and balanced every year around the spring time. The rims adds a nice taste and gives a more aggressive stance to the car. The wheels are light weight and are flush with the fenders of the car with no rubbing issues and no spacers needed!
11/22/06 - Rear bumper cover replaced - Installed and painted by AutoBahn Collision (not due to any accidents, just wanted to replace and paint the rear bumper)
Spring 06 - Replaced chrome center grill bezel
Summer 08 - Tenrai FB, 100% T304 stainless steel, 2.25" piping, 4" exhaust opening, CNC mandrel bent, angled, catback exhaust
12/02/09 - 129,311 miles - Installed Dual Bluetooth-Ready w/ Auxillary port & USB port stereo receiver - Dual XDM6400
03/30/10 - 131,719 miles - Front bumper cover replaced

The Bad:

Small dings here and there around the body of the car due to other careless drivers in the parking lot
Driver side door rubber lining is loose and has a bit of tears due to an animal that had chewed it up
Side mirror enclosures (not actual mirror) has blemishes and chips
Trunk floor tray underneath the lining needs replacing has a tear. Can't be seen unless the tray is lifted up.
Headlights are hazy. Will go away with some plastic, polishing compound and a nice buff
Driver side head light along with the left side of the bumper has rash/scuffs due to a hit and run while parked.
The middle of the bumper area has two cracks due to a hit in run while parked. The cracks are hard to see from far away as it is not very noticeable.
Light scratches/scuffs on the passenger side, rear door and rear fender due to a Jeep Cherokee backing into me in the parking lot. Has been roughly touched up to prevent corrosion.
Some light curb rash on the wheels

Will include:

Two original keys
Two keyless entry remotes
Original carpeted, front and rear floor mats (well taken care of. Always used all weather floor mats in place of the original mats instead)
Original tool kit/car jack
Original owner's manual
Original SRS manual
Original dealer, window sticker (not in the best condition)
Original warranty information manual
Original Radio (If it can be located)
Splined lug nut key

Option to purchase separately if desired at a significant discount. Buy everything at $475 - $75 = $400:

- Set of (4) Kumho Ecsta AST 205/40-17 tires. They are currently mounted on Liquid Metal Motorsports LM 11 Wingman 17x7.5", 4x100mm lug pattern, 40mm offset silver aluminum constructed with polished/chrome lip. The only issue is that one of the rims is toast as I hit a pot hole and the rim cracked. The tires are pretty much new however! I only used them for two winter seasons. They have about 80%-85% treadlife left on them. (last balanced and rotated on 11/28/09 @ 129,175 miles which is the last time I put the wheels on). $225
- Set of (4) Enkei TBS-11 17x7", 4 lug universal (4x100mm lug and 4x114.3), 38mm offset silver rims. It has some scuffs and curb rash through out the rims but still in pretty good shape and in perfectly working order. None of the rims are bent and are fully functional. I originally bought these rims with the intention of using them as winter wheels since my Liquid Metal rims were compromised. Will include the center caps. Three of the rims have tires on them but are unusable and worn from the previous owner. $125
- Brand new aftermarket rear bumper made out of high-quality fiberglass and is ready to be prepped and painted. The bumper is still wrapped in a large plastic bag with a sticker that says TSC Rear Bumper 96hdcvbcrb, 1996-2000 Honda Civic 2dr/4dr. Based on the information given along with the looks of the bumper, it is pretty safe to assume that this bumper will fit this car along with pretty much all of the U.S. 6th generation non-hatchback Honda Civics. The bumper has no cracks and is pretty much new. Just needs a little bit of prepping and paint and it is good to go. The bumper has never been painted on before. Please click this link to see how the bumper looks like at: http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product...ar_Bumper.html $125

Let me know if you want to purchase any of these parts even if you do not intend to purchase the vehicle. I am willing to ship all/most parts at the buyer's expense. Please add 3% on to the total for PayPal fees if you choose to pay through PayPal.

As much detail as this listing may contain, there may be a few, minor things I may have forgotten to mention. With that being said, please contact me initially through e-mail/PM if there are any questions, concerns, and/or interest. More information can and will be given upon initial contact if desired. Best times to look at the vehicle are Mondays - Wednesdays after mid afternoon as my work schedule permits. First come first serve basis. I will not hold the vehicle for anyone as I did not have good experiences in the past with doing so. I have a ton of additional pictures available upon request. Whew, thanks for taking the time to read all of this!
Attached Images           

Last edited by Scottie03; 11-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan 4 Speed Auto AT Well Maintained

This thread was cross threaded from: 1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan. Please click on the link for more pictures. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i might be stupid but... the 3,000-3,500 mile oil change interval doesnt seem to apply...

Oil Change intervals were kept at every 3,000 miles - 3,500 miles but was not recorded before 10/31/06

10/31/06 - 93,270 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
02/28/07 - 97,301 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
06/01/07 - 100,905 miles - 5W-30 with Oil Filter - Done by Speedy Auto Service
Fall 07 - Approximately 104,500 - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Valvoline - Purolator PureONE Oil Filter (PL14459)
01/17/08 - 108,555 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Valvoline - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
03/29/08 - 113,058 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 Castrol Syntec - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
10/23/08 - 117,244 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Castrol Syntec - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
07/02/09 - 124,243 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Quaker State Q - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
03/30/10 - 131,719 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance oil - PureONE oil Filter (PL14459)
10/19/10 - 136,930 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Pennzoil - Mobil 1 EP oil filter (M1-104)
07/02/11 - 143,536 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q Pennzoil - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)
08/14/12 - 150,097 miles - Full Synthetic 5W-30 3.8Q - Purolator PureONE oil filter (PL14459)

it seems as if you went a couple times close to or over 7k miles?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 3,000-3,500 mile oil change intervals applies to all of the oil changes before I started recording all the maintenance being done. I apologize for the confusion there. I started to extend my oil change intervals once I started using synthetic oil with a premium oil filter and when I found out that it is totally unnecessary to change oil that frequently. Google it up. Now a days, cars are changing oil around 7,500 miles now and oil tests are still good after that. The electronic maintenance minders in newer cars are telling people to change oil around 7k miles as well. Even my car owners manual is telling me to change it at around 7.5k miles under normal conditions. Unless you race/beat on your car, I find that around 7k miles is a good time to change your oil.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a side note, the car still runs fine and never had any issues. When we took off the valve cover off the engine during the timing belt job, there were no areas of concern, no sludge build up and the engine looked healthy.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did anyone read all that?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump