Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

The Ultimate LED vs. stock bulb comparison!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default The Ultimate LED vs. stock bulb comparison!

Alright here we go, I promised some red vs. white LED comparisons last week, and here it is!

Today we are comparing this style of 1157 LED bulb from superbrightleds.com in both red and white versions:

This particular bulb has 18 LED's facing axially (straight back on Integras), and 6 mini LED's around the base of the bulb facing out to the sides, for a total of 24 LED's per bulb.

Here's each bulb lit up:

Now according to the FAQ on the Super Bright LED's site, you should choose the LED color that is the same as the lens color. Reason being is that the lens filters out the light from the spectrum that is NOT that color, and white LED's don't have much red in the spectrum. For this reason, red LED's should appear brighter through a red lens that white LED's, because almost no light is filtered out from a red LED.

So to start with, here are white LED's vs. red LED's.

As you can see, the red LED's are quite a bit brighter than the white ones.

However, I wanted to compare the red LED's to a stock incandescent 1157 bulb.

As you can see, this style of LED bulb is still not as bright as the stock 1157 bulb.

To continue the comparison, I took some pics in daylight.

First we have all lights turned off:

Now white vs. red LED's:

And finally stock 1157 vs. red LED's in daylight:

As you can see, the red 1157 is actually visible in daylight, unlike the white one which is pretty much not visible at all. But it's still not as bright as a normal 1157 bulb.

In conclusion, stock incandescent 1157's are still brighter in all conditions, even than this type of red LED bulb. However, I still believe these are usable, and not totally unsafe like the white LED bulbs are.

If it were me, though, I'd get some of those newer "tower" style LED bulbs that have many more LED's facing out around the sides and a few facing backwards. I believe these would work much better. I'll definitely test them out if I ever get my hands on a set.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the stock bulbs light up the housings better, since the LED's direct the light only in the direction they're pointed in, they dont use the full capacity of the brake light housing. Good thing i saw your write up, i was gona buy a set of these.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ones I used have 6 small LED's that point out to the sides.

However I've seen some new "tower" style LED bulbs all over eBay these days, one in particular has 57 total LED's - 12 on the end and 45 total pointing around at all sides of the bulb. I'd think those would work pretty well. I may try a set sometime soon.

I just wish I could get them locally.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
im hench irl

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

In for the results. As i can remember, one member posted that since LED's draw less current thatn the standard incadesent bulbs, the blinker or tailights will mark nonfuntional. Meaning they will "hyperblink". Have you noticed any of this with your comparison's?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In for the results. As i can remember, one member posted that since LED's draw less current thatn the standard incadesent bulbs, the blinker or tailights will mark nonfuntional. Meaning they will "hyperblink". Have you noticed any of this with your comparison's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haven't used them in any of my turn signals.

But if/when I do put them in my turn signals, I'll replace my flasher with an electronic unit that is not affected by whatever load is on the flasher from whatever bulbs are installed.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
im hench irl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Haven't used them in any of my turn signals.

But if/when I do put them in my turn signals, I'll replace my flasher with an electronic unit that is not affected by whatever load is on the flasher from whatever bulbs are installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds good. Will be checking in when you post results.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: The Ultimate LED vs. stock bulb comparison! (PatrickGSR94)

Thank you for the comparisons.

The main benefit of LED tail lighting is the fact that it has a faster response time, thus providing a slightly earlier signal to other drivers that you're braking. Clearly though, any safety advantage from the response time of these replacement bulbs is negated by the fact that they offer poor light output and visibility compared with the stock incandescents they replace. Indeed, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a crack-down on the sale of these, because some are downright dangerous due to the way they reduce visibility to other drivers.

The newest designs may be better, but I still don't anticipate that they'll provide any more overall output than a standard incandescent, and when you factor in the higher cost, these types of bulbs still just don't make much sense at this point in time.

I look forward to seeing some comparisons of the new designs, though. Perhaps they'll be surprising.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While I was taking the night pics with the red 1157 LED on one side and stock 1157 on the other side, I had my garage door closed and was noticing the light shining on the inside of the garage door. Then I reached my foot inside the car and pressed the brake pedal, and the response time between the LED coming on brighter and the 1157 high filament coming on was quite obvious, nearly 1/2 second from I could tell. At highway speeds that 1/2 second means they would come on over 50 feet sooner than normal 1157 brake lights.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
im hench irl

The same way they are retrofitting HID headlights, they should retrofit, persay G35 coupe/sedan tail light LED's into civic tail lights. I saw somebody did it to theyre new SI tail lights but i do not recall where or what website it was. The result was amazing.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The same way they are retrofitting HID headlights, they should retrofit, persay G35 coupe/sedan tail light LED's into civic tail lights. I saw somebody did it to theyre new SI tail lights but i do not recall where or what website it was. The result was amazing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It would be easier to just rig up a PCB w/ LED's on it and stick it behind the lens inside the taillight.

Tony the Tiger here on Honda-Tech did it to his Integra years ago. He put custom LED's in his tail lights, rear turn signals, and front turn/parking lights.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might buy some... I might paypal you & you can get them & test I don't have a camera
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see your results..!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same issue with my 194 bulbs vs LED bulbs for my city lights in my civic.. There was almost NO emission of light on the sides, and just didnt do as well as regular stock bulbs..
Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Patrick, here are some pics of the LED retro you've mentioned

They are pre-sealed units that you can buy for trucks, trailors, etc... Just hit a search on Ebay for truck LED, or truck LED modules and you will get a huge selection of them. All of them are meant for 12v electrical system, and have two brightness levels (park, brake).

Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
im hench irl

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

That look nice. Thats what i was talking about in a sense. Not what was exactly done with the civic si tail lights, but looks dope none the less.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look on the HID Planet forums, there's a whole section for LED's with TONS of LED retro projects on there.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Patrick, here are some pics of the LED retro you've mentioned </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have any daytime photos?

What method did you use to remove the fluting from the lenses in the main tail lights?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have any daytime photos?

What method did you use to remove the fluting from the lenses in the main tail lights? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, no daytime photos. It looks exactly like the semi 10-wheeler trucks which you can see from a mile away even in sunlight. Can't go wrong with these LED modules.

The fluting on the lens were removed the labour-intensive method...lol 6 steps of water sanding, and final buffing with a Dremel cloth wheel.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While I was taking the night pics with the red 1157 LED on one side and stock 1157 on the other side, I had my garage door closed and was noticing the light shining on the inside of the garage door. Then I reached my foot inside the car and pressed the brake pedal, and the response time between the LED coming on brighter and the 1157 high filament coming on was quite obvious, nearly 1/2 second from I could tell. At highway speeds that 1/2 second means they would come on over 50 feet sooner than normal 1157 brake lights. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed, this is the safety improvement that I referred to in my previous post. It seems that there may be a different alternative available from Philips, offering proper illumination and an improved response time: Philips Vision Plus P21/5W

Not LED, and likely not as fast, but it seems to me like this is a good option for those looking to obtain some of the safety benefits of LED in an inexpensive plug and play bulb.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Patrick for making this comparision!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate LED vs. stock bulb comparison! (BERT-O)

bump for an awesome comparison, and an even more awesome Mississippi State tag
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes sir, the old MS tags were butt ugly, and the new ones are *** ugly!! That's one reason why I prefer the MSU tag, and it also doesn't show the county so it makes my place of residence more anonymous when I'm driving around.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM

yeah i hate the new tags.. someone deserves to get their *** kicked for those..
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was an awesome write up, good stuff man