Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

ONEX Hid kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ONEX Hid kits?

Are these any good? Anyone have a pic of these in a 97 civic housing? I have a HID kit but its **** and was wondering if maybe these were a little better. TIA
Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ONEX Hid kits?

get an EBAY HID kid from the seller autoluminate they sell Xentec Kits that have passed Japanese Denso Spec. Me and a bunch of my friends have these kits and we range from 2 months to 2 years since we put them in. They are good, solid kits and they are like $60 shipped.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
get an EBAY HID kid from the seller autoluminate they sell Xentec Kits that have passed Japanese Denso Spec. Me and a bunch of my friends have these kits and we range from 2 months to 2 years since we put them in. They are good, solid kits and they are like $60 shipped.
Well here is the ****. I have bought a kit from ebay. Have one on now but its not as blue as other kits i see in other civics. Thats what im actually looking for. That NICE dense blue tint. My **** is 10k and it looks like 6k...LoL. but not bright.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Well here is the ****. I have bought a kit from ebay. Have one on now but its not as blue as other kits i see in other civics. Thats what im actually looking for. That NICE dense blue tint. My **** is 10k and it looks like 6k...LoL. but not bright.
The thing is with Ebay is it all depends on the seller. Not everyone sells the same ****. the guy autoluminate sells some good stuff. Those are the only kits I recommend (also the only ones I have experience with). But they are good with rich colors. And the 10k is blue as fuc, its on my friends accord.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got any pics?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Are these any good? Anyone have a pic of these in a 97 civic housing? I have a HID kit but its **** and was wondering if maybe these were a little better. TIA
No. ALL HID kits will be junk in factory halogen reflector housings. Period.

An OEM HID projector retrofit is the only way to get decent HID output that doesn't blind everyone for miles.

Check the HID retrofit thread, and have a look on www.hidplanet.com/forums to see what I mean.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they sell Xentec Kits that have passed Japanese Denso Spec.
Wow, what a gimmick!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have the money or time to do a retro fit. And i dont like how the housings look with them. I prefer the HID kit. Sorry. But in Cali everyone is blinding everyone so might as well join the flow. They are real common here so its a bunch of blinding cars. To be honest the only ones that blind people are yukons denali's etc. Cuz they are taller than normal height cars.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BS - every ricer I see around here with PnP kits is blinding as hell!

"everyone's doing it" would you jump off a bridge if they all did that too?

I advise you to replace your stock bulbs with something like Philips Xtreme Power H4 bulbs - a halogen bulb that actually puts out more light than stock without melting housings or harnesses, and don't look like ricer colored POS bulbs.

Go against the flow man. Don't fall victim to the "ricerness" abounding around you. Do it the right way.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
BS - every ricer I see around here with PnP kits is blinding as hell!

"everyone's doing it" would you jump off a bridge if they all did that too?

I advise you to replace your stock bulbs with something like Philips Xtreme Power H4 bulbs - a halogen bulb that actually puts out more light than stock without melting housings or harnesses, and don't look like ricer colored POS bulbs.

Go against the flow man. Don't fall victim to the "ricerness" abounding around you. Do it the right way.
I agree!! Not bashing on anyone... but he is right!!

I think if you can't afford and don't have time to do a retro kit? don't look towards HID's... HID 's are at their best in HID projectors, hands down... if you can make time,but don't have the money? start saving!! Do you want people to actually admire your HID's, or do you want people to be like, "I wish that SOB would quit blinding the hell out of me"??? I know when I see a nice looking projector HID coming down the road,with that sexy color flicker, im like, "damn, thats nice"... but when im riding down the road and geting blinded by some ricer with PNP ebay HID's, im looking for a beer bottle in the back seat,to throw at them!!! Don't be that guy... do it right
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jizzle1981
I agree!! Not bashing on anyone... but he is right!!

I think if you can't afford and don't have time to do a retro kit? don't look towards HID's... HID 's are at their best in HID projectors, hands down... if you can make time,but don't have the money? start saving!! Do you want people to actually admire your HID's, or do you want people to be like, "I wish that SOB would quit blinding the hell out of me"??? I know when I see a nice looking projector HID coming down the road,with that sexy color flicker, im like, "damn, thats nice"... but when im riding down the road and geting blinded by some ricer with PNP ebay HID's, im looking for a beer bottle in the back seat,to throw at them!!! Don't be that guy... do it right
ah hahahahahah my thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!

OEM HID = damn that looks hot

ricer PnP HID kits = DAMN ricer let me blind your @$$ right back with my bi-xenon + stock halogen high beams!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by retrosolutions
Wow, what a gimmick!
idc whether its true or not. becaues the kits last for years and are very high quality.

Here is a link to one of their auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...Q5fAccessories

The are def worth it.
Dont do stupid enhanced bulbs and ****, because that usually looks horrible. And you can adjust your lights using a screwdriver so they dont point so high up, so it blinds less people. But HID's in general bllind people, even in projectors. And projectors on civics = riced the F out.

Last edited by Jimster480; 02-04-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG hahaha $60 for an HID kit are you serious??!? You can't even get OEM D2S bulbs for that cheap. $60 means absolutely no money spent on R&D of any kind, which means they don't give a damn about blinding people, correct optics or anything. The ONLY thing they care about is making a buck. Although they must not be making much with that price, unless the ballasts are like empty cases or something.

I'd like to see someone who has been using one of these kits for 5 years, although this cheap crap probably didn't exist 5 years ago. My Philips ballasts are over 6 years old and my Philips D2S 85122 bulbs are 5 years old this month, and everything still works perfect.

BTW you can't just "aim them down" on reflector headlights, due to glare being thrown out in all directions. Even if you could get the glare from being thrown out in all directions, the usable light would probably be on the ground 20 feet in front of the car, which would be useless. Properly aimed projectors with correct optics do not blind anyone except for when coming over a hill. But any headlights can be blinding in that situation.

And aftermarket projectors can look like shAt on Civics I agree, but some of the nicer bi-xenon projector retrofits I've seen look 100% OEM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how i see it. About 400 or so, give or take to do a retro. I rather spend that on some f'en cams then lighting. PnP HID kits do what they are meant to do light up brighter. I think as long as it makes you happy F the other people. Im not gonna go buy a Retro fit to make other people happy and ****. They dont like my lights......change lane.LoL
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how i see it. About 400 or so, give or take to do a retro. I rather spend that on some f'en cams then lighting. PnP HID kits do what they are meant to do light up brighter. I think as long as it makes you happy F the other people. Im not gonna go buy a Retro fit to make other people happy and ****. They dont like my lights......change lane.LoL
It doesn't work that way when the safety and comfort of other people on the road, the road that you share with them, is compromised.

Maybe I should drive around with 100 xenon lights all over my car pointing in every direction, and 10,000 watts of stereo blasting everything around me. Would you pissed if my car was anywhere near you? I think you would. But "F you because it makes me happy" as you put it.

Would you drive around with slick tires on wet streets? People do it all the time, putting themselves and other drivers on the road at risk. Do you drive around at 100mph on a 40mph street? I sure as hell hope not, because it puts you and other people on the road at extreme risk.

An HID projector retrofit isn't just about looks. Sure that's part of it, but a large part of it is getting the most/best light output possible (increasing your own safety while driving at night) while controlling that light in the best way possible in order to keep glare at a minimum, so as to not blind other drivers all the time.

That's why people started doing retrofits in the first place. They saw the increased light output from the OEM HID projectors, and wanted the same for their car. But they realized correctly (perhaps through trial and error) that simply putting HID in stock halogen housings is a bad idea. It does not yield the desired outcome, and really just looks very horrible compared to HID projectors. Since an HID projector is essentially a standalone unit, much more efficient than a reflector-based setup, and not necessarily housing-specific (like most free-form reflectors are), they are great candidates for swapping into other headlight housings.

If you only think of yourself and never of other people while driving, then most likely you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how i see it. About 400 or so, give or take to do a retro. PnP HID kits do what they are meant to do light up brighter.
You're wrong on two points:

1) you can buy a complete HID setup for less than 150 dollars: projectors, bulbs, ballasts, wiring. And I'm not talking cheap ebay projectors. You can find plenty of hid headlamps for sale which have all the parts. Most people are just ignorant to this fact.

2) You're right, PnP kits do "light up" brighter, but they don't put that light on the ground. You only think you put more light on the ground because you were suckered into paying $$ for an aftermarket downgrade. Dropping in some Sylvanias or some Toshiba HIRs will net you more actual light output ON THE GROUND.

It's funny when I roll up next to riced up civics and integras with PnP kits, seeing how they put down less light on the ground than stock. It's even funnier to think that they paid actual money for the downgrade. Too bad the hilarity of the situation goes south when you try talking sense into them.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG hahaha $60 for an HID kit are you serious??!? You can't even get OEM D2S bulbs for that cheap. $60 means absolutely no money spent on R&D of any kind, which means they don't give a damn about blinding people, correct optics or anything. The ONLY thing they care about is making a buck. Although they must not be making much with that price, unless the ballasts are like empty cases or something.

I'd like to see someone who has been using one of these kits for 5 years, although this cheap crap probably didn't exist 5 years ago. My Philips ballasts are over 6 years old and my Philips D2S 85122 bulbs are 5 years old this month, and everything still works perfect.

BTW you can't just "aim them down" on reflector headlights, due to glare being thrown out in all directions. Even if you could get the glare from being thrown out in all directions, the usable light would probably be on the ground 20 feet in front of the car, which would be useless. Properly aimed projectors with correct optics do not blind anyone except for when coming over a hill. But any headlights can be blinding in that situation.

And aftermarket projectors can look like shAt on Civics I agree, but some of the nicer bi-xenon projector retrofits I've seen look 100% OEM.
no they dont look OEM at all. they look like ORICEDOUT. And ya its possible for you to sell stuff at a lower price and still have R&D. They used to be alot more expencive. A couple of years ago the set was like $90. Spending money on R&D doesnt mean you have to charge more for a product forever. I develop software which I code on my own. Hundreds maybe even a thousand hours of R&D go into some of my products. And all but one are under $100. Does that mean that there is no R&D becaues the price is considerably cheaper than others in the industry? The answer is No. Not that im defending them, I just love how people make blatant statements like "if the price is this then there is no R&D",etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I get it. But diffirent strokes for diffirent folks. Retro's look nice but i dont feel like cutting my housing up and soldering etc. "F" it!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no they dont look OEM at all. they look like ORICEDOUT. And ya its possible for you to sell stuff at a lower price and still have R&D. They used to be alot more expencive. A couple of years ago the set was like $90. Spending money on R&D doesnt mean you have to charge more for a product forever. I develop software which I code on my own. Hundreds maybe even a thousand hours of R&D go into some of my products. And all but one are under $100. Does that mean that there is no R&D becaues the price is considerably cheaper than others in the industry? The answer is No. Not that im defending them, I just love how people make blatant statements like "if the price is this then there is no R&D",etc.
Perhaps, but I highly doubt that quality OEM components could even be manufactured for $60 total. I'm talking a pair of ballasts/igniters and a pair of OEM D2S bulbs, or D1S bulbs with integrated igniters. D1S bulbs go for $200+ new for a pair.

When you use cheap crap components, the product will be cheap, and will be crappy.

As for 96-00 Civic retrofits, this looks pretty damn OEM to me.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps, but I highly doubt that quality OEM components could even be manufactured for $60 total. I'm talking a pair of ballasts/igniters and a pair of OEM D2S bulbs, or D1S bulbs with integrated igniters. D1S bulbs go for $200+ new for a pair.

When you use cheap crap components, the product will be cheap, and will be crappy.

As for 96-00 Civic retrofits, this looks pretty damn OEM to me.

I still dont like how that looks. And if you showed up to any local meets down here with **** like that and they would just straight up laugh at you.
Ya I get what your trying to say, but the fact is that with most digital ****, its manufactured in asia at cheap prices. It costs about $80 fora whole LCD panel, like a 720p 26 inch panel. Either way the guy offers a warranty on it, and hes pretty good about it. My friend broke one of his lights when his mom smashed the car and the guy sent him a new one for free.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah hahahahah that's funny. People in Miami would laugh at a well-done properly executed bi-xenon HID projector retrofit? Their loss I guess, since it would out-perform every PnP kit in the city.

You can have your opinion on whether it looks good or not. But you cannot discount the performance of the HID projector over a POS kit in stock reflector housings.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah hahahahah that's funny. People in Miami would laugh at a well-done properly executed bi-xenon HID projector retrofit? Their loss I guess, since it would out-perform every PnP kit in they city.
its because ricers have those projector setups with all kinds of **** in them. Even projectors with pink HID's and ****. So basically projectors = riced out.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its because ricers have those projector setups with all kinds of **** in them. Even projectors with pink HID's and ****. So basically projectors = riced out.
Well yes that is dumb. I have seen a couple Lexus GS and Escalades w/ reflector HID's around here put that purple and pink crap in their headlights. Ridiculous.

But I have yet to see anyone take the time to do a proper OEM projector retrofit and then use some ricer HID bulbs. Pretty much everyone who does a projector retrofit is aware that the color from OEM HID applications comes from the cutoff optics, and that the OEM applications use 4300K bulbs only, and that 4300K bulbs are the best and brightest. Thus pretty much all projector retrofits I've seen use 4300K bulbs.

So do ya'll consider S2K's and TSX's and other cars with OEM projectors to be riced out? And would you still consider a Civic with S2K or TL projectors and OEM 4300K bulbs to be riced out?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well yes that is dumb. I have seen a couple Lexus GS and Escalades w/ reflector HID's around here put that purple and pink crap in their headlights. Ridiculous.

But I have yet to see anyone take the time to do a proper OEM projector retrofit and then use some ricer HID bulbs. Pretty much everyone who does a projector retrofit is aware that the color from OEM HID applications comes from the cutoff optics, and that the OEM applications use 4300K bulbs only, and that 4300K bulbs are the best and brightest. Thus pretty much all projector retrofits I've seen use 4300K bulbs.

So do ya'll consider S2K's and TSX's and other cars with OEM projectors to be riced out? And would you still consider a Civic with S2K or TL projectors and OEM 4300K bulbs to be riced out?
no cars that come with projectors are not considered riced out because supposedly "cars cannot come riced out from the factory". My response is usually, I guess you have never seen a WRX then with big rims, chrome lights, and a wing.
But i have never seen a civic with S2K projectors or TL lights around so I dont know what it would look like or if people would say it was riced out.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At this point, don't you start to ask yourself, "should I care if other people think my lights look ricey even though I'm putting down more than twice the amount of lumens on the ground as their supposedly non-ricey purple lights?"

Is the import crowd over on the southern east coast really that backwards?

Quick Reply: ONEX Hid kits?