Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Help! One headlight works, but the other doesnt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! One headlight works, but the other doesnt?

Hey guys! I need help big time on my 04 civic ex. Two nights ago, I turned on my lights, and the passenger side flickered, then it shut off. Then I turned my headlights off, then turned it back on. It was fine. After about 40ish minutes of driving, I stopped at the gas station. I turned off my lights, pumped gas, and was ready to go. I turned on my lights, and noticed that the passenger side was dead again. So I figured my ballast was dead. The next day, I swapped my working ballast with the "dead" one, it didn't work. So this led me to believe that the passenger light bulb is possibly burnt out. I switched the working ballast back over to the driver side, and it's now dead as well. Now my passenger signal is messed up. It blinks really fast when I signal. I swapped out the bulb, and it was good.

I ordered a pair of HID ballasts of ebay for a temporary fix, because I thought it was the ballasts. I installed these ballasts, and the driver side works. The passenger turned on for about maybe 10 seconds, then it shut off. I played around with the wires, wiggled them around a little bit, and my passenger side headlight would flicker accordingly to where I position the wires. After awhile, they just stopped working. I tested the headlight bulbs and new ballasts, they still work.. After all of this, my passenger turn signal bulb is now messed up again after installing the new bulb!! I checked all my fuses, and they are fine.

I'm guessing there is a ground wire loose somewhere that's affecting this maybe? But I don't know where it is, and I don't know where to go from here. Maybe it's my headlight harness? IDK!
HELP! This is my DD and it is very frustrating! I need my car fixed ASAP.

I had fog lights wired up accordingly to my headlights before, but took them out since this issue occurred.

I'm currently running 35W ballasts with Morimoto mini h1's.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! One headlight works, but the other doesnt?

Fixed.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What was the problem?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely the ballast or bulb
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schlag96
What was the problem?

Originally it was the ballast.

I ordered new ballasts and it turned on for about 10 seconds then afterwards, it died again.

So I figured it had to be a wiring issue, because it was affecting my turn signal and the OEM bulb still wouldn't work in the OEM harness.

Went to Honda, got some helpful information/pictures.

Got home, saw that my ground for passenger was SUPER dirty.

This ground is both for the headlight and turn signal.

Cleaned it up, and it's as good as new. :D
Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can u please pm me where the ground wire is I think "hope" I have the same problem I drive an 04 lx with a hid kit that I got in the beginning of the year n it has always lightly flickerd but all of the sudden tonight I went over this bridge going home n it like shut my passenger light off then came back on n every big but on the high way was like that then a speedbump over by my house it did the same please pm me the location of the groundwire or what ever u fixed thank you it would really help
please pm me it took me forever finding ne thing like this let alone one with the same car I don't think im gonna find it again thank u