Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

HELP - 99-00 CTR Headlights and HID's

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - 99-00 CTR Headlights and HID's

Hey everyone I am looking for some advise on what to do. I have 99 - 00 JDM CTR headlights. Unlike the USDM headlights they do not have the diffuser to help reflect the light from the headlight bulb correctly. I recently installed some 8000k H4 HID's. The new HID bulbs do have a little diffuser around half the bulb but nothing on the end to help with the brightness. I am trying to find out if you can get a new diffuser and replace the one that came on the bulb. My problem is they are still too bright. Even with the small diffuser.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Do you know can you get aftermarket diffusers that cover more of the bulb?

Thanks for the help. Below is a picture of what I am looking for with more of the bulb covered by the diffuser. I just haven't been able to find the diffuser sold separate. The pic below are Bi-Xeons and I am just using the Single.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP - 99-00 CTR Headlights and HID's

You can get or make a casper shield out of some thin metal. It helps make a cutoff to direct the light better. But the real problem is youre using Plug and play hids in a reflector housing. You need to do an OEM retrofit with actual HID projectors. This way you have the proper cutoff and arent blinding people on the road.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This might sound weird, and ghetto. But i used tin foil and it worked great.
Really just need to stop, or limit the light getting to the bottom of the hosing.
You could also paint the bottom black, but i wouldnt with a ctr headlight.

Useing that, i never had high beams flashed or people doing anything, and most importantly never had any problems with the cops. If i got hid's again and didnt retro fit i would do it this way again.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
You can get or make a casper shield out of some thin metal. It helps make a cutoff to direct the light better. But the real problem is youre using Plug and play hids in a reflector housing. You need to do an OEM retrofit with actual HID projectors. This way you have the proper cutoff and arent blinding people on the road.
Ya just get some thin alum. flashing in the roofing section at lowes and start experimenting to see which controls the high reflection, plus the bowls(refractors) are reflecting towards the left instead of the right like a usdm headlight. I always wanted to take the CTR lights apart and just use the lense and bezel on a usdm refractor so that it wasnt blinding on coming traffic.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input.....i ended up just getting a set of the bi-xenon hid's just like in the picture. with the ctr headlights they work much better because of the shield around the bulb. much happier now