Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Buying single LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying single LED bulbs

I'm trying to repair an older style LED third brake light on a 1994 Accord and I'm having trouble finding LED bulbs. I know they're out there, I just don't know where to look. Instead of spending a bunch of money buying a third brake light assembly, I'd like to be able to find some bulbs to solder in. They wire these things up like the older Christmas lights so when one goes out, it takes out a whole section. All I need is a few bulbs. If anyone knows of a place to buy LED bulbs please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Buying single LED bulbs

Are you looking for plug and play bulbs or component LED's so you can make your own array?

I made my own which is way more reliable and much brighter than any PnP bulb you can find on the market. I find that 4 pin LED's are the easiest to work with. You can get genuine Lumileds Superflux at Future Electronics. >Link< or Cree P4's at DigiKey >Link<. Nichia is also a good brand that sells them in a 4 pin package.

Look for something with a 40 or 70 degree viewing angle. The more narrow the angle, the brighter they'll appear.

There are also several sites that sell cheap Chinese versions, but don't expect the same intensity or reliability.

Here's a photo of my brake light for reference. There are genuine Superflux LED's.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great. I'm trying to fix this for a guy at the shop that I work with. It's an aftermarket third brake light and the bulbs on the PC board are 2 pin so I need to find some that are 2 pin. I haven't looked at those sites yet so I'll check those out in a little bit. I just wanted to go ahead and aknowledge your input. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, I see. LEDsupply >Link<, Oznium >Link<, and SuperBrightLED's >Link< are few sites I can name off the top of my head. I've bought LED's from all 3 sites.

If you only need a few LED's, try your local Radio Shack. They carry 3, 5 and some 10 mm emitters in a 2 pin package. They're expensive, but it's an option if you need them right away.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Oh, I see. LEDsupply >Link<, Oznium >Link<, and SuperBrightLED's >Link< are few sites I can name off the top of my head. I've bought LED's from all 3 sites.

If you only need a few LED's, try your local Radio Shack. They carry 3, 5 and some 10 mm emitters in a 2 pin package. They're expensive, but it's an option if you need them right away.
Thanks a lot man...excellent sites. Blessings.