Notices

Kswap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Kswap build thread

This Thread is old news....go to MY Turbo build thread where magic is about to start happening!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...build-3282517/

I've been planning my Kswap for quite some time now since my d series was ready to explode anyday. Well guess what, it finally blew but luckily I made it home.

Last night I went ahead and got everything ready for the motor to be pulled.
This morning all that was left to pull was the motor mounts

My friend jacking up the car just before we wheeled the engine out from under. (this was a super easy way to pull the engine)

Time to clean this engine bay up and possibly a very mild tuck before prep and paint.

Most the d16y7 parts I obviously wont need so most anything is for sale. The trans is great, the motor has many parts that are good but the 3rd cylinder went down. Just PM me if interested in anything

Tomorrow Ill be cleaning/degreasing the engine bay and considering tucking the brake lines

Last edited by GoldieWang; 07-30-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kswap build thread

waiting...
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I went ahead and striped most everything from the engine bay other than the fuel line, fuel filter, and brake lines. When I finished striping it down I tied the wire connections off in bags and taped them up. Then I degreased the entire engine bay twice. I'm letting the degreaser set over night before I roll it outside and give her a good wash. I thought about running tucked brake lines but I really dont think I will unless I grow bored while waiting for my new engine to come in. I'm also leaving the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder on the firewall along with the fuse box in passenger corner.

I was also able to do a very mild wire tuck by running the fan and headlight wires through the fenders and coming out just before the firewall to hide behind the clutch master cylinder on the drivers side and the fuse box on the passenger side.

Tomorrow I plan to sand the shock towers, front sub frame, and the frame rails where the mounts go. I'm repainting it all black but Im not going to do the firewall unless the paint doesn't match well. I'll upload more pics as I do more!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cleaned and degreased the engine bay today several times. Then I sanded the original paint down pretty far, Added 3 coats of primer, sanded with 320 grit, primered again then sanded with 800.

Then I sprayed 3 coats of acrylic gloss black paint on the engine bay.

Im in no hurry considering I havent even ordered the motor and trans from hmotors.com yet. So to say the least Im letting it cure for two days and then Ill do a couple clear coats and wet sand. Then a little rubbing compound and a little polishing compound to make the clear coat really pop!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

take your time and do it right. Can't wait to see some of the progress.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So my list of parts for the swap is as follows. Anything I've missed?

k20a2 with trans wiring harness and ecu on hmotors.com
hasport mounts
Not sure which axles yet
k tuned steel header
k tuned fuel line and fpr
hybrid racing immobilizer
hybrid racing conversion harness
hybrid racing full radiator (deleting a/c)
hybrid racing coolant hoses
hybrid racing clutch line
coolant switch and temp sensor
karcepts a/c and p/s removal kit
some cheap cold air intake for starters

The motor comes with the stock shifter but I would really like the hybrid racing short throw just to avoid cutting the floor for a more clean swap. It would drive me crazy knowing I cut the floor out even though it would be sealed up tight.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the hybrid shifter and go straight for the K-tuned one. Research why and you'll find it's way more preferred.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

karcepts has some decent parts for this swap.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How many miles were on it before the D blew?

Looking sweet. Can you tell us costs? I'll be doing this when I hit 300k (probably 2 years.)
Old 08-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
Avoid the hybrid shifter and go straight for the K-tuned one. Research why and you'll find it's way more preferred.
Ok thanks for the advice man!
Originally Posted by doctorake
karcepts has some decent parts for this swap.
Yeah I really want the ac and ps eliminator i picked out. hope its not in the way of anything. it says its so the motor fits an ef but I dont know why it wouldnt fit mine.
Originally Posted by collkid
How many miles were on it before the D blew?

Looking sweet. Can you tell us costs? I'll be doing this when I hit 300k (probably 2 years.)
I bought it with 147k and it was running pretty weak but decent for a work vehicle. it now has roughly 165k on it now. Ive been very good to the car and engine but ive had a issue with it burning oil which has progressively gotten worse since buying it, few ignition issues, ate a couple electrodes on cylinder 3 and then finally popped. keep in mind at the time I needed a cheap work car and wanted a honda so it was perfect in my eyes. now i dont work far from home and you see where this is going lol
Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I've been doing some looking around on k tuned.com and I think I'll just buy their level 3 swap package alone with a hybrid racing full radiator, both coolant sensors, rad hoses, immobilizer, and heater hoses. that will have me pretty much set for a tad bit cheaper route.

Good news!
I will have my funds to finish the build within 2 months but for the mean time im working a lot of overtime and soon I'll be installed an after market steering wheel and new jdm type r red carpet with my overtime cash! I'll try and update asap. My auto body guy was supposed to paint the car metallic gold before the build but hes pretty busy right now.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today was my first day off work in a while....So I went ahead and finished the engine bay.

First I washed the engine bay, then I wet sanded it with soapy water and a garden hose with 2000 grit sand paper. then I washed the engine again. Then I used rubbing compound twice, washed the engine bay again, Then used polishing compound twice, washed the engine bay again. then used turtle wax.....FINALLY here is the finished product. Remember I didn't do the firewall but I figure most of it will be hidden anyways.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Fu*k the engine bay, wheres the engine?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Fu*k the engine bay, wheres the engine?
It is in route! lol I have a trust fund from my old job that is due within 2 months^^^^^ hench the original post about it taking a few days.... but seriously I know a guy who may have a complete k20a2 swap but otherwise it will be coming from hmotors.com they are not cheap but they are legit from the reviews I have read.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Fish Twig

Word. Keep in mind that you do have warranty with them but only if this gets up and running so you can spot those issues before the warranty runs out.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I was reading up on that. I plan on buying the motor last
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and the Misses went and bought her a new civic si today, shes happy! On a side note I am waiting to recieve my savings from my old job should be here soon then the ek Kswap will be continued. Dont want people thinkin I gave up just cuz we bought a new car today!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Fish Twig

Should've waited for the 5dr, which is next yr. Would've sexy, her and 5 other girls..
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I retro fitted my 06 rsx type s seats into my 96 hatchback today.

And so of course the kswap build is Too Be Continued....
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill just put my swap here for you for some motivation
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to hand it to you. That is some serious motivation! nice swap man for real. Hope you dont mind a few questions as I am going to go turbo within a year of the finished swap so really I guess I need to start checking out some peoples experiences. What size is that precision? What kinda setup you running? (e85? injecters, timing, etc)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a precision 6262 turbo with the complete full-race kit..running 1000cc injectors and tuned for 91pump gas..its my weekend driver and street legal
Old 09-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well dont ya hate it when your waiting for car parts......Only to recieve the wrong thing lol. Now that being said I bought a new carpet from stock interiors, but they sent the wrong color. I ordered jdm type r red but was sent black.
f

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I called them as soon as I recieved it (last friday) and they went ahead and started on the correct color. they had a fed ex truck here to pick up the wrong one yesterday, and the correct one is scheduled to be here tomorrow which isn't a big deal considering I dont have an engine yet haha.
The mass backing looks amazing I'd seriously recommend it to anyone buying aftermarket carpet.

As you can tell my stock carpet has seen better days. Its also much thinner than the new carpet.

And just for the sake of cabin sound quality while having the carpet out I went ahead and ordered spray on boom mat from D.E.I....I seriously wanted the sheets which im sure is better but have you seen the price!!! Im doing an expensive swap but damn Im not made of money. 20 pack of boom mat is 270 bucks.

Will post pics of the new red carpet when I get it and install it!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just ordered tie rod inners and outters hopefully it fixes my issue with steering play. the rack dont leak and the remanufactured ones are **** so this is my fix....hopefully.

Quick Reply: Kswap build thread