Notices

Intermittent Fuel Cut / Misfires and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED: Intermittent Fuel Cut / Misfires and CEL

Hey Everyone,

About 4 months back my car started bogging and throwing a very brief CEL. At first, it had only been occurring during highway driving in 4th and 5th gear as I approached like 4000 RPM after driving the car for about 30-45 minutes. Upon inspection I found some very "jankily" done wiring by the fuel pump which I fixed. Soldered, heat shrunk, etc.

That seemed to totally fix the bogging and random CEL misfires, until a couple of weeks ago. It started getting worse, and I was throwing P00134 and the car actually died once while coming to a stop. So I went and got a new OEM O2 sensor. Took it for a spin, everything felt great. This morning though, the car drove like complete **** again, bogging and throwing a brief CEL, and even died as I was cruising on back roads at about 60 mph. Threw a CEL and was coasting, then picked back up and started running again... But I can't pull the CEL because it is so brief, but also when the car dies the Hondata cuts the wifi signal to my phone.

So I pulled into a parking lot and let it idle for a bit. Then as I started pulling away, the car died. For several moments the car wouldn't start and I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime when I turned the key to ON. Then after a minute or two, it started up like normal.

So I'm trying to figure out what the hell could be causing this. My thoughts are as follows.

Fuel pump going bad
Main Fuel Relay
Short somewhere in the wiring that I haven't found
Head gasket
Valve lash adjustment
Poor Grounding
??

Is there anything else that I should try?

The Fuel Pump is a Walbro 255lph, about 4 years old. Pulled that out and "looks" brand new, but that doesn't mean its not going bad. The wiring around the fuel pump is all intact and looks good.

Car Information:
1998 Civic CX Hatchback
K24 swap with all new parts, not pieced together using random used stuff
Hondata KPro
Walbro 255lph
RDX Injectors

Last edited by Battle Monkey; 10-31-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intermittent Fuel Cut / Misfires and CEL

So I solved the issue and figured that I would share. I figured that it had to be related to the wiring/electrical in some way so I traced all of the wiring associated with the fuel system. Wound up pulling the main relay to inspect. Upon looking closely, I found that 2 of the solders with completely cracked. Being that I've had a lot of practice soldering lately with this car, I was able to fix it. VOILA! The misfires are gone.

It's crazy how such an obscure little thing like this could cause such an annoyance. I've been trying to source this issue for over a month, trying something and testing as I have time. Glad to finally have figured it out.

After I fixed the solders