Notices

EP3 or RSX radiator into K swapped DC2-R

Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EP3 or RSX radiator into K swapped DC2-R

Hello friends,

I have a DC2-R with a K24A2, RBC manifold, and Hasport mounts. It has AC. I believe it is the HR AC kit?

It currently has a Mishimoto half sized radiator for a civic. The brackets have been re-located to fit it.

I would like to track this car on a road course, and I'm not convinced that the half size will do the trick. And I'd rather not drive all the way to the track just to be nursing an over-heating car all day.

So....I was planning on using either a RSX or EP3 2 core radiator. I don't want a giant radiator because I don't believe it will fit. A 2 core should fit just fine with slim fans and a shroud.

Are there any advantages to either? Does an EP3 radiator fit better than a DC5, or vice versa?

Anyone using a full size radiator on the DC2 chassis with a K swap and AC?

Any other model of car have a radiator I should look into? S2000? RDX? TSX?

I don't want to spend $500 on a "direct fit" K swap radiator because I have a welder and can easily re-weld the bottom brackets. I have to re-locate the bottom brackets anyway because they are set up for a half size radiator currently.

I searched and found some info. But it was a bit conflicting or incomplete.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: EP3 or RSX radiator into K swapped DC2-R

we have a CSF kswp radiator that uses stock location, stock brackets and stock fans

$333 shipped

CSF 2850K Integra K-Swap Radiator - Cooling System - Accessories
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hasport
we have a CSF kswp radiator that uses stock location, stock brackets and stock fans

$333 shipped

CSF 2850K Integra K-Swap Radiator - Cooling System - Accessories

Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't have stock fans. And any radiator is going to be "custom fit" because I will have to reweld the bottom brackets.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM

Update in case anyone is interested.

I ended up with a high performance radiator/shroud/fan setup that is meant for a RSX-S. Any year will work.

Try to find the thinnest one you can, if you have AC. Koyo and other brands make thin performance radiators. This one is about 2" thick, for reference. If you don't have AC, its a much easier fit...and a 2" core won't be an issue.

I don't like the idea of zip tying fans to radiators. So...I wanted a shroud. The shroud and fans are a bit too thick to sneak past the AC compressor.

So....as you can see, I'm using the shrouded fan on the left (driver) side. I had to remove the passenger side fan.

I am using 2 pusher fans mounted on the AC condensor to make up for it. It works great. The car has been driven hard and I have still never seen any coolant temps that are anywhere close to "hot". I have a K PRO and a OBD2 bluetooth thingy. Stock thermostat.

The most action this car will see from me is 20-30 min lapping sessions in summer. I *highly* doubt it will need more cooling.

If it does, I'll find a way to drop a 8 or 10" fan INTO the passenger side shroud opening.

I don't want to get rid of my AC....but removing the compressor and AC system would be another solution. If I did that, I could easily use the second fan.

But I won't. Because I'm not getting rid of the AC. Lol.

I'm using stock DC2 upper holders. I had to re-drill the core support for the driver side holder because I didn't want it to sit crooked.

I had to customize my lower hose. I used the K tuned hose meant for a 1/2 radiator and added a 90 degree copper water elbow.

Here it is mounted up before I painted it (yes...I know the clamp is loose). It swings around the AC compressor just fine.

Hope this helps someone in the future.