Notices

EG with K20a2, having starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG with K20a2, having starting issues

I just bought this car last week from a member on here, it runs great and is a blast to drive. It is just having one issue and that is that when you turn the key to start it sometimes it doesn't start or crank it just clicks. It hasn't left me stranded it always starts sometimes you just have to turn the key 10-20 times to get it to start. The previous owner had changed starter, rebuilt another starter, main relay, ignition harness, and the grounds. I am just wanting to know if anyone has any insight on what this might be. It also has a viper alarm but I don't know if that would be causing it because you can hear the relay clicking.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know if you have it but if not Buy the ground kit , that happend to me before until i bought the ground kit problem resolve .
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG with K20a2, having starting issues

A little off topic but that must be 1 fun lil sleeper to play with...

But anyways, I had this issue before and I changed my ignition wiring and still had the same issue, then moved on to changing the main relay and that fixed the problem even after hearing it click but fuel pump wouldn't prime.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when it dont start when the car is hot you shoul fix main relay at first
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well so far I have bypassed the alarm no help, I have went through every wire under the dash and leading up to the engine harness and I can not find a problem, I have checked and grinded all of the grounds and added a few new ones, I have disassembled the under the hood fuse box and checked for corrosion on any of the wires and nothing there, I have hooked the hot wire on the ignition straight up to the battery and it does the same thing. It starts about 3-4 times and then it clicks about 5 times. When it clicks the main relay comes on, fuel pump primes, starter relay clicks, and the solenoid is getting power as well (checked it with a test light and it gets power every time I turn the key to start it even if it just clicks) the weird thing is when I run a wire from the solenoid to the battery it cranks every time never just clicks which makes me think that it can't be a ground or it would do it at that time as well. I'm so confused I bet I have spent 30-40 hours laying under the dash splicing wires and testing them and then soldering them back together. Any suggestions or anything would be great. Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It also starts every time that I connect the solenoid wire on the engine harness in the cab to the battery it cranks every time, which makes me think that engine harness is good as well.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Campin Cracker
It also starts every time that I connect the solenoid wire on the engine harness in the cab to the battery it cranks every time, which makes me think that engine harness is good as well.

That happend to my kswap, i put a relay directly into my starter wire and worked somehow..
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jogzu
That happend to my kswap, i put a relay directly into my starter wire and worked somehow..
I never thought about adding a relay and wiring the relay to the battery I can't see why that wouldn't work! Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jogzu
Thanks for the idea, I added a relay in the engine harness and it works like a champ!