Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Acceleration Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:53 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Hesitation

Hi All,

I have just joined the Honda Civic Forum, as I guess with most its because its about vehicle issues first! yes I'm the same!

So here it goes, if anyone can point me in the right direction, as I'm not clear if I have one issue or there is a few ganging up on me!

2002 Honda Civic 1.4 (90ps) Max 5dr 65,000 miles, no EML light on.

1. after start up the car goes well, once up to normal temperature the idle drops to around 600 -700 rpm (is this normal?). If on idle and I put the aircon on, unlike other cars i've owned the idle does not increase, cars I have owned previously the idle will increase to 1000 - 1100 rpm?.

2. When driving at 3500 rpm the car hesitates till 4200 where it starts to clear and catch up. The problem is much worse if the aircon is on and at times is severe as if the ignition is turned on and off multiple times.

3. I have noticed that when at night, quite regularly when the car slows with the headlamps the dim or appear to dim as the car slows to a junction, it doesn't happen every time but very often.

4. The Fuel gauge now reads all over the place and the temperature gauge reads lower than normal all the time what ever the outside temperature is.

The cars has been serviced twice, scanned once to try and find any faults and nothing is showing. The plugs that came out after 12k were not the biscuit brown I would have expected. The CAT has been cleaned out with cleaner and made some improvement in the general running but the issues remain.

I understand that some of these issues can relate to the EGR valve? may require cleaning or replacement, not sure how to test it for function, but that wouldn't explain the other issues. the light/ issue could that be alternator/ battery? the idle etc could this be a problem with an the idle air controller?

Any advise on where to start would be welcome as a new alternator quoted at £245 is a bit expensive if not the issue as with the EGR valve, or the Aircon pump? any suggestions are welcome

Dave