Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

1992 honda accord idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 honda accord idle issues

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my idle. I've replaced tps sensor, iacv, and checked for vacuum leaks, but it still pulses while idling and has recently started to cut out even while accelerating or coasting. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 1992 honda accord idle issues

This is very common from what I understand.
A vacuum leak is the most likely culprit but it could be a lot of things.
Try using carburetor cleaner or starting fluid to spray areas where there could be a vacuum leak with the engine running (obviously vacuum lines and fittings but also along the intake manifold gasket), if you get a surge of idle then you've found your leak. I'm not sure if the 92 Accords use a FITV(Fast Idle Thermo Valve) or not but it could be that. Another thing it could be is air trapped in the cooling system. Try bleeding the system:Top off the coolant in the radiator and reservoir, start the car(cold) and loosen the cooling system bleeder valve (on the thermostat housing), watch as coolant flows out of the top of the valve, you should see at least a few bubbles of air come out, wait until you have a steady stream of coolant and then close the valve. If so far you don't have any luck, the next thing you should consider is adjusting your idle. If the idle is out of range the Idle Air Control Valve will constantly cycle trying to maintain the proper idle. The idle is adjusted by turning the idle air bypass screw (a flat head screw at the top of the throttle body as your looking at the mouth of the throttle body)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Trial User

Thanks for that info, I just tried bleeding the coolant and it only flowed while the enginee was off. When I started the enginee nothing came out of the bleed screw. Is this normal?

[QUOTE=GoodUsername;50218862]This is very common from what I understand.
A vacuum leak is the most likely culprit but it could be a lot of things.
Try using carburetor cleaner or starting fluid to spray areas where there could be a vacuum leak with the engine running (obviously vacuum lines and fittings but also along the intake manifold gasket), if you get a surge of idle then you've found your leak. I'm not sure if the 92 Accords use a FITV(Fast Idle Thermo Valve) or not but it could be that. Another thing it could be is air trapped in the cooling system. Try bleeding the system:Top off the coolant in the radiator and reservoir, start the car(cold) and loosen the cooling system bleeder valve (on the thermostat housing), watch as coolant flows out of the top of the valve, you should see at least a few bubbles of air come out, wait until you have a steady stream of coolant and then close the valve. If so far you don't have any luck, the next thing you should consider is adjusting your idle. If the idle is out of range the Idle Air Control Valve will constantly cycle trying to maintain the proper idle. The idle is adjusted by turning the idle air bypass screw (a flat head screw at the top of the throttle body as your looking at the mouth of the throttle body)[/QUOTE
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you had the bleed screw open at any point with nothing coming out, you likely have air in the system. To answer your question, no, its not normal.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Trial User

That's what I thought. How would I get the air out?