Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

2011 Insight Key stuck in ignition

Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Insight Key stuck in ignition

2011 Insight just out of warranty (mileage 39k) with key stuck in ignition.
I can move key to all other positions (crank, stop car) except "off" with car in park and parking break on, brake pedal pressed. Moving steering wheel, driving, putting shifter into and out of park multiple times does not help. Key moves easily in these other positions.
**I CAN turn to "off" and remove key easily with battery disconnected. Reconnect battery and key stuck again.
I can move shifter to all gears including park, and appropriate indicator lights show up on dashboard. Feels normal through the different positions.
Brake lights work.
Local dealer "checked resistances" after taking off steering wheel cover and says that we need a new cylinder assembly and estimates nearly 900 for repair: ~400 cylinder assembly, 2.5 hours labor, and over 100 for locksmith to rekey the cylinder to our keys. They are ordering part.
I'm still not sold on the need for a new ignition assembly... since I can get the key out with the battery off, it seems much more likely that it's an electrical sensor or switch at or between the shifter than something wrong with the cylinder/ignition itself? Any simple way to know or tell? Anyone else with this problem?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2011 Insight Key stuck in ignition

I'd call American Honda and ask if they can cut you a deal and possibly warranty it since you're just out of the range.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are usually pretty good with just outside of warranty claims.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The diagnostics for this are pretty simple. With the column covers off you can unplug the 6 pin connector from the ign switch. Then cycle the key from off to acc and back to off. If you can do that then the ign switch is not the problem.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the advice. I've asked for some relief in terms of the warranty. In the meantime, I had taken the steering wheel cover off to expose the ignition and ignition lock, but I can't figure out how to remove the yellow 6p connector to do the trouble-shooting suggested by KWayRacing. Don't want to force it and break the connection...can't find a clip.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be a green 6 pin connector that is located towards the key side of the ignition switch. There are 2 green connectors. You need to unplug the one closest to the key insertion point. That connector should be connected sort of vertically. Pointing towards the headliner. This video shows how most honda electrical connectors work. Around 23 seconds in. Not the best vid but I think you will get the idea.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Trial User

Thanks...figured out the clip to depress was on the hidden side of the connector. With it disconnected, I can cycle through all the key positions and put the key in and out smoothly. Appropriate acc and power, starts car. So I guess that means that they're wrong to want to replace the ignition assembly? The relevant 7.5 A fuse is ok as well. In that case, the next most likely think to fail would be some sort of park switch in the center console? The service rep said it couldn't be the shifter since the dashboard indicator lights up all the shifter positions correctly.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think they may be going down the wrong road with the assy. Possible trans range switch, park pin switch, open circuit. The trans range switch could still be bad/ out of adjustment even though the correct gear shows in the dash.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Trial User

Key won't come out of car ignition. i.e. key stuck in car ignition.

I read another post on honda-tech from Jeff247 that helped me in figuring out my problem. He said that the shifter may not be working properly and after disassembling and reassembling his it started working. So I took a closer look at the shifter enough though it seemed to be fully in park. I cleaned mine and removed the hair bands and scrunchies I had around the shifter. It is working fine now! Probably the scrunchies were the culprit(lol) not actually letting the shifter engage fully into park!...

I had the car at my local Honda dealership 3 times!! The first time they could not recreate and did nothing. The second time they could not recreate but quoted 320 to retumble the lock. But they told me to bring it back while it is stuck so they can better diagnose. Then when i took it back while it was stuck they told me that since they could not get the key out that it needed to be replaced ($600.00) and to have the keys for my doors match it would be $900.00.

Thank god I'm didn't believe them!!!!!....and continued troubleshoot on my own and google ...Thanks to the peps at honda-tech..
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

loll you need to visit the service center now for getting inside to a good solution at any cost,,...........