Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zip tie your shift cables? (h22 trans)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zip tie your shift cables? (h22 trans)

Hi guys, I read something about using zip ties to connect the shifter cables together to make it feel more positive, but I'm not sure how to go abouts doing it?

where abouts do i zip tie them?

and how close together do i need to do it?

I've already changed the big bushing type things, so i just wanna know how to do this mod..

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Botched thread poll

Default Re: zip tie your shift cables? (vtec_lude)

well you have to two cables running parallel with each other from the tranny to the shifter. take zip ties and fasten the two cables tight with themselves all the way starting from a few inches from the tranny and all the way to the bottom of the shifter underneath the car. its as simple as that. i probably used over a dozen, just fastened one nice and tight every two inches or so. its one of the many little things you should do while completing the swap.

edit: following the diagram above, use many zip ties from #22 all the way to #20.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a lot!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does this mod really work? Whats the theory behind it?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: (The Original Whitey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Original Whitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does this mod really work? Whats the theory behind it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto, ive never heard of this and i dont see how it would affect anything. As a matter of fact since i joined h-t 2 years ago ive NEVER read anything about this ever. So, please explain.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Original Whitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does this mod really work? Whats the theory behind it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It kind of falls in the same world of short shifters. In theory, you do not need them, but they can help. Only the zip ties do is stiffen the cables so the shifter feels tighter. In turn, some people like it.

It falls back to the "you can not out shift the transmission".
Old 04-10-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It kind of falls in the same world of short shifters. In theory, you do not need them, but they can help. Only the zip ties do is stiffen the cables so the shifter feels tighter. In turn, some people like it.

It falls back to the "you can not out shift the transmission". </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.... interesting. Never knew that. So basically as far as functionality it does nothing but makes for a stiffer feeling shift. It doesnt improve shifting and increase shift speed or anything like that?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AudioFuct)

Well, You have to look at it this way. No two people are the same drivers. Some people will benefit from it, some will hate it. It does not actually make you a better driver, just makes the shifter feel better to your liking (if you like it).

So, yes, it does not improve shifting by itself.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, yes, it does not improve shifting by itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info. Then its not something i care about, lol.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Botched thread poll

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AudioFuct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info. Then its not something i care about, lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah what moron would waste a whole dollar on zip ties and five minutes of his time to give a try at better shifter response...

it DOES give a better feel with shifting, and the only way i would know this is by dropping the four quarters and five minutes of my time.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (BIGBLOCKEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIGBLOCKEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it DOES give a better feel with shifting, and the only way i would know this is by dropping the four quarters and five minutes of my time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better shifter feeling is subjective. Im perfectly happy with the way my shifter feels. But im such a moron that i wouldnt know the difference, right?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so basically this zip tie mod doesn't really work for the prelude?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtec_lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so basically this zip tie mod doesn't really work for the prelude?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read the posts above. Not that it does not work, it is subjective.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Botched thread poll

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AudioFuct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Better shifter feeling is subjective. Im perfectly happy with the way my shifter feels. But im such a moron that i wouldnt know the difference, right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you can't feel the difference between a half *** notchy sloppy shift and a smooth clean engaging shift, id have to agree to the moron statement. aside from that you'll have to speak for yourself.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to try this but I don't know if this is just snake oil like miracle X braces or fender bracing helping handling
Old 04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Botched thread poll

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Original Whitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to try this but I don't know if this is just snake oil like miracle X braces or fender bracing helping handling</TD></TR></TABLE>

to be quite honest with you, i didn't feel much if any difference, but i did a perfect job at rigging up my linkage so they already sat evenly and together.

reguardless, it takes a dollar worth of zip ties and five minutes of your time to keep the cables uniform together.

any dipshit can look at the way the cable linkage works and understand the sense in keeping the cables together rather than flopping around freely... i don't see why there is any dispute about this.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drag racers would do this due to not being able to shift at higher than like 8k. When going higher than that it was said this would help it ease into gear when shifting that high. It was not meant to make the feel of it daily feel better.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Botched thread poll

Default Re: (BolivianFuego)

its like they cant figure out which shoe goes on which foot...
Old 04-10-2005, 11:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIGBLOCKEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can't feel the difference between a half *** notchy sloppy shift and a smooth clean engaging shift, id have to agree to the moron statement. aside from that you'll have to speak for yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like how, because i didnt zip tie my shift cables and how i dont think i will, that equates to me being a moron. But i still say it sounds more subjective then anything else. LoL, you yourself even said you didnt notice any difference because you so perfectly installed your cables. Could it be possible that i did a similar job with mine? Furthermore might it even be possible that my installation allows for a smooth enough shift to where I dont feel I need this "zip tie" method?

I think ill just hide here in the shadow of your massive e-**** and not continue this any further. Not to say its a bad idea or anything, but i just dont think I will be doing it.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Botched thread poll

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AudioFuct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like how, because i didnt zip tie my shift cables and how i dont think i will, that equates to me being a moron. But i still say it sounds more subjective then anything else. LoL, you yourself even said you didnt notice any difference because you so perfectly installed your cables. Could it be possible that i did a similar job with mine? Furthermore might it even be possible that my installation allows for a smooth enough shift to where I dont feel I need this "zip tie" method?

I think ill just hide here in the shadow of your massive e-**** and not continue this any further. Not to say its a bad idea or anything, but i just dont think I will be doing it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't see how anybody can have a "massive e-****" for understanding something as simple as the reason an enclosed cable assmbly like this would technically be better off secured rather than left free to move.

infact if i remember correctly you are the only tool who wanted to break out an e-measuring stick asking how many "swaps" i have accomplished. don't get your panty's in a bunch because you asked and got an answer.

im trying to think of something i can compare to with this cable tranny functionality, but i can't think of any way to further simplify it for you, its just so basic as is.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM

AudioFuct and BIGBLOCKEK...your differences of opinion are consuming this thread...let it go. I wanted to learn more about this, but all this thread turned into is a bunch of arguing
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIGBLOCKEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">infact if i remember correctly you are the only tool who wanted to break out an e-measuring stick asking how many "swaps" i have accomplished. don't get your panty's in a bunch because you asked and got an answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Afraid you have the wrong e-thug, ive never questioned the number of swaps you've done, a fact like that is irrelevant to me. I do see what you are saying and I do understand the thinking behind it, all i was saying is that I dont see myself doing it and I think the "feel" factor is subjective. But anyway, jdm guy is right, this is a retarded thing to argue about.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Botched thread poll

haha as long as its clear that neither of us are e-thugs im happy
Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIGBLOCKEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha as long as its clear that neither of us are e-thugs im happy </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, yeah it is. I believe you were refering to this guy "irev210" in the type r vs h22 thread. Now that thread has ALOT of e-thugish ruggish bone ish going on.... rofl.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Botched thread poll

oh yeah i think you are right haha. wow i think thats a sign for me to log off of honda tech and go work on the car...

Quick Reply: zip tie your shift cables? (h22 trans)