Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timeing belt help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timeing belt help needed

i'm having one hell of a time trying to get my minime timed right, i'm using a jdm d15d block with a y8 head. people say that there are two differnt kindas of timing belts, like this write up on mini me swap..

IMPORTANT: Several places on the net and several people on Honda-Tech say that the VX (D15Z1) timing belt is the one to use for this swap because it is for a 1.5L VTEC. THIS IS INCORRECT! When I did the initial head swap, I used a VX timing belt. The VX timing belt was WAY too tight, and whined when the engine was at high rpm. I unfortunately did not discover this until the entire head was assembled. The VX timing belt has 103 teeth, where as the Z6 timing belt has 104 teeth, and the B7 belt 106 teeth. I was finally able to replace the VX timing belt with the Z6 timing belt, and the Z6 timing belt fit much better and didnÂ’t whine. THE D16Z6 timing belt is the correct belt to use with a B7 block / Z6 head combination.

my belt after we get it all lined up and on right when we try to tighten it the crank moves untill all the slack is out of it and then it starts moving the cam, wouldnt that mess up my timing, might i have the wrong belt or an i just doin it wrong? i would really like some help on this one, it seems like every post i make no one will help me..
Old 04-16-2004, 10:29 PM

If the cam turns with the crank, then thats good.

Turn the crank(or cam) until it is back at TDC (top dead center), and see if both are aligned up properly. If they are, then you are golden and have nothing to worry about. hth

Old 12-26-2020, 11:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: timeing belt help needed

Originally Posted by sohchatch
i'm having one hell of a time trying to get my minime timed right, i'm using a jdm d15d block with a y8 head. people say that there are two differnt kindas of timing belts, like this write up on mini me swap..

IMPORTANT: Several places on the net and several people on Honda-Tech say that the VX (D15Z1) timing belt is the one to use for this swap because it is for a 1.5L VTEC. THIS IS INCORRECT! When I did the initial head swap, I used a VX timing belt. The VX timing belt was WAY too tight, and whined when the engine was at high rpm. I unfortunately did not discover this until the entire head was assembled. The VX timing belt has 103 teeth, where as the Z6 timing belt has 104 teeth, and the B7 belt 106 teeth. I was finally able to replace the VX timing belt with the Z6 timing belt, and the Z6 timing belt fit much better and didnÂ’t whine. THE D16Z6 timing belt is the correct belt to use with a B7 block / Z6 head combination.

my belt after we get it all lined up and on right when we try to tighten it the crank moves untill all the slack is out of it and then it starts moving the cam, wouldnt that mess up my timing, might i have the wrong belt or an i just doin it wrong? i would really like some help on this one, it seems like every post i make no one will help me..
try the 103 tooth timing belt. there are alot of factors,what head gasket,water pump,tentioner,etc.. I have the D15B jdm with Y8VTEC head and I have to use the 103 tooth timing belt.