Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Question

Old 03-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rebuild Question

Ive acquired a '95 B18C1 from my friends wrecked GSR. Im putting it in a '91 Gen2 Integra LS. Ive taken the engine to a local engine rebuild shop. I want them to "rebuild" it but Im not really sure what that includes.

The motor has 95k miles on it and was in good condition prior to the crash. There was no internal damage to the motor or tranny but the motor mounts were broken - which Im having the shop fix.

My question is what should I have them do to the engine? I want it reliable as its going in my daily driver (not my racer). Im taking the advice from the swap guide on G2ic.com and replacing common maintance parts like water pump & thermostat, timing belt and timing belt tensioner, head gasket (most all gaskets), Cap, Rotor, Spark plugs and wires, spark plug seals, adjust valves, fuel filter, PCV valve.

Any recommendations on what else I should have the shop do to the motor while its there? This is an area I dont know much about. Would honing the cylinders and replacing the piston rings be a good place to start?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rebuild Question (Muckman)

If it was me, I would bore it 0.25mm over and install 0.25mm over factory pistons and rings. There are several choices when it comes to pistons-USDM GSR/JDM GSR/USDM ITR/JDM ITR, or CTR. Also have the rod and main bearings replaced, as well as the thrust washers. New oil pan gasket, front and rear crank seals. Have the reciprocating assembly balanced by a machine shop. At the very least, have the cylinders inspected for taper/out-of-round, and have them honed if they are in decent shape. New piston rings for sure. And bearings as mentioned above.
New cam seals and cam plug would not be a bad idea either. Replace the VTEC solenoid o-ring as well, they leak oil when they start to get hard. Have the head inspected for warpage and have it resurfaced if necessary, I would not recommend more than 0.010". Replace all of the valve guide seals, and have a valve job done, if your budget permits.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Rebuild Question (b19coupe)

Ironically this swap is not for performance but rather just a cheap reliable daily beater. So basically Im going more for just a general overhaul. Just wanted to get some ideas for clean up. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-06-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rebuild Question (b19coupe)

If it was me, I would bore it 0.25mm over and install 0.25mm over factory pistons and rings. There are several choices when it comes to pistons-USDM GSR/JDM GSR/USDM ITR/JDM ITR, or CTR. Also have the rod and main bearings replaced, as well as the thrust washers. New oil pan gasket, front and rear crank seals. Have the reciprocating assembly balanced by a machine shop. At the very least, have the cylinders inspected for taper/out-of-round, and have them honed if they are in decent shape. New piston rings for sure. And bearings as mentioned above.
New cam seals and cam plug would not be a bad idea either. Replace the VTEC solenoid o-ring as well, they leak oil when they start to get hard. Have the head inspected for warpage and have it resurfaced if necessary, I would not recommend more than 0.010". Replace all of the valve guide seals, and have a valve job done, if your budget permits.

thats what i would do also it would be just like a new engine and would last you many many years. what is said above isnt to make the car go faster really more along the lines of making it last longer. but its all up to your buget.

keith
Old 03-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Rebuild Question (kwil666)

cylinder boring and new pistons are way in the wrong direction for me and out of budget. I just want a good overhaul. I want the engine to be like new again.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:19 PM

you can get it shortblocked at a machine shop for fairly cheap just a refresh on the motor I believe.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Rebuild Question (UtahRockabilly)

its at a machine/engine shop right now. they want me to tell them what I want done to it. When I tell them I want it "rebuilt" I dont really know to what extent. I was looking for some specific rebuild ideas to clean it up and overhaul the motor.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:30 PM

short blocking it will replace the pistons and refresh the rods, regrind the crank, hone the cylinders. With your motor I dunno if they will resleeve it or not just basically ask them what they include in their short block service and you can decide what you need to do or not.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how many miles are on the motor?

You need to start there, if its a low milage motor, you are throwing your money away.

As for overboring it .2 and putting new os pistons in, thats a TOTAL friggin waste. TOTAL waste TOTAL waste TOTAL waste, and 1 more time, TOTAL waste... why is that? Because as u said, the motor runs fine. I would flex hone the cylinders to deglaze them, put new rings and new bearings. Get a new main seal, new water pump and new timing belt, new oil pan gasket, new head gasket and just other general maintence garbage.

You really should have compression tested the motor and asked your friend if it burns any oil.

As for the head, a simple valve job should be enough, if it burns oil, id replace the valve guides aswell.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Rebuild Question (irev210)

90k miles. $500 motor going into a $200 beater
Good tips. Thats pretty much everything I have on my list.
Thx for the replies!

Old 03-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wish I could get a B18c1 for $500
Old 03-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Moderator in Chief

ok i got all the crap off the block and the shop is going to take it apart next week. I thought it would be a good idea to clean them up while I have everything apart.

What do I use to clean the parts? Intake Manifold, Throttble body, greasy parts etc
I was thinking Simple Green?