Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help!!! rebuilt ls/vtec oil light flashing. oil pressure at 4psi

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!! rebuilt ls/vtec oil light flashing. oil pressure at 4psi

like it says. i just bought this rebuilt b18a ls block from a shop, new used. bored out to 82mm, usdm itr p73 pistons, ls rods with arp rod bolts, balanced stock ls crank. new 99 b16 oil pump, gsr w/p and gsr timing belt. cleaned oil pan and oil pick up.
resurfaced and cleaned 95 gsr head, everything stock. GE ls/vtec kit (did not buy the head gasket) using a b18a ls gasket.
so when i first started the car, everything was fine, just had to turn down the idle just a little, set the timing. no CEL. let it warm up a little, flushed out ND 30w oil out, replaced oil filter. added 5w20 oil, and started it again, and again it was fine, no CEL. finally when car got hot a normal temp, my oil light starts flashing and the idle drops a little. when i push in the clutch or turn my head lights on the idle drops and oil light flashes/blinks. but when i rev the motor up up over 1500 rpms the oil light goes away. i'll turn off the car for a few seconds and start it again, but when i do start it, it makes a wired sound like there is no oil, its starts just fine and the wired sound goes away, but still oil light is flashing.
any help at this point is great, before i end up taking the hole motor apart, please
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help!!! rebuilt ls/vtec oil light flashing. oil pressure at 4psi

im new at this site.
oh and i forgot to mention that i hooked a oil pressure gauge and at cold start it was at 50psi and slowly droping. at hot idle around 750-800rpm its at 4psi. rev it up to 3k rpm oil pressure is 28ish psi
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help!!! rebuilt ls/vtec oil light flashing. oil pressure at 4psi

trust me already searched, like i said no check engine light, cant drive the car to see if vtec works, because when i try to put the car in gear it wants to die.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i already replaced 2 oil pressure switch, and the oil pump is brand new, anyone????
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would drain the oil again and look for any remains of bearings , 4psi at idle is way low do you know what your bearing clearances are ?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did 6 oil changes already. last two times took off oil pan and oil pick up to clean it again. took the pain off again last night, and there was a little amount of shavings, new motor tho. same as oil pick up, just a little, not as much as the first time. i asked the girl that i got the block from for any papers, she said no. they take motors to the same machine shop. my last guess is that the build was not put together right. but just wanted more advises that i can do that i didn't do before i begin to take take it apart and bring it to a machine shop to get it checked.

can a little amount of shavings cause that low of oil pressure?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its pumping oil if its got any pressure. Is the oil pump OEM? 5w-20 is **** for oil I would rather use 10w-40. But thats not your issue. Honestly I would try a new ITR oil pump, use 10w-40, and be looking for around 15-20psi at a hot idle. 60-70psi at 3000+ rpms.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an new itr oil pump on there before I went an got another brand new b16. And it's still came on. Just took a litte long longer this time caused I used 10w30, but it still was flashing
Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Both oil pumps were new oem
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you figure the problem out ?