Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring.

I got my harness back from Prospeed today.

I start putting it back on the engine....like nothing reaches where it seems like it's supposed to.

I think I might need to lengthen some.....a LOT of wires.

Also, the 02 sensor plug from the engine harness is like nowhere to be found.....what i THINK might be it is over on top of the transmission. It's the only plug anywhere that will plug into the 02 sensor. The wiring on the engine side of the plug is green/black, orange/black, white, and yellow/black. Is this the 02? If not, what is it? I've got nowhere to plug it into..and if it is the 02 wiring, can I lengthen it to fit?

Also, wiring to the EGR Control solenoid valve wiring is nowhere to be found. I specifically asked to have anything EGR related wired up. What do I do now?

Map sensor wiring plug also seems too short to reach where it needs to go. What I think is it has a white/black wire, red/white, and green/white. Is this MAP? If so, i've got to extend it like 8" or so.

I've got another empty plug...red/white, green/white. Is this the EVAP purge valve? I don't see anything else it can/would go to and the EVAP purge valve has no wire/plug whatsoever that will reach to it.

Everything else seems to be alright I guess.....entire harness seems to be a little 'short'. From a plug on the cam side to the tranny side, it seems like it's stretching the wiring a lil harder than I feel comfortable with.

I've also got two sensors on the fuel rail that now have no plugs whatsoever that will reach them. I know for a fact the H22 harness I sent him had wiring to go to these.

What do i do here? One is in a vacuum line connected to the FPR, the other is on the front of the intake manifold.

Is it safe to cut and then lengthen some of the wires that are just TOO short to reach their respective plugs?

Also, I've got ECU pins on long wires (like 20-30" long).....3 of them total. I was under the assumption everything would just be wired up all the way to the strut tower plugs, and I'd tap into the ECU from there. I've got NO clue where these are supposed to go whatsoever. One comes straight from a sensor right by the thermostat, and the others are wrapped up with electrical tape far enough that I can't tell where the originate from.

They're spliced into stock ECU leads. One is white, one is red. The one coming from a sensor by the T-stat is green/black.

I had the wiring done for me to save the headache, and now I think I'm more confused than I was to begin with.

Any and all help will be appreciated. I'm soooo confused.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (hot_EG)

Where in Tx do you stay?

Shoulda done it yourself....I did mine,and it wasnt as bad as you make it sound...

Mark

Old 04-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (SlvrEj6Dx)

I'm in dallas. PG.

I didn't say it was that incredibly hard to begin with....I said I had the wiring done to so I wouldn't have to mess with it.

If I would have known the harness was going to come like back like this, I probably would have done it myself.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you start out with your civic harness, or use the prelude harness?

Old 04-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sent him one complete Civic DX engine harness, and one complete H22 engine harness.

It looks like all that was changed was the Alternator wiring that goes up over the valve cover...that was spliced into the stock DX harness, and then the injector box was wired up.

I think that's why nothing reaches where it's supposed to go...because the majority of the harness is the Civic harness.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you need to send it back and ask what the hell is up....

Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my harness back from Prospeed today.

I start putting it back on the engine....like nothing reaches where it seems like it's supposed to.

I think I might need to lengthen some.....a LOT of wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well that isn't cool having a custom harness

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, the 02 sensor plug from the engine harness is like nowhere to be found.....what i THINK might be it is over on top of the transmission. It's the only plug anywhere that will plug into the 02 sensor. The wiring on the engine side of the plug is green/black, orange/black, white, and yellow/black. Is this the 02? If not, what is it? I've got nowhere to plug it into..and if it is the 02 wiring, can I lengthen it to fit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure off the top of my head, I will have to look at my O2 wiring colors and make sure. But yes, you can lengthen the wires to reach the O2 sensor on the H22 collector. I had to do this on my swap as well due to it not reaching.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, wiring to the EGR Control solenoid valve wiring is nowhere to be found. I specifically asked to have anything EGR related wired up. What do I do now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can wire it up, but I would talk to the person who did your harness bro.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Map sensor wiring plug also seems too short to reach where it needs to go. What I think is it has a white/black wire, red/white, and green/white. Is this MAP? If so, i've got to extend it like 8" or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will look exactly like the TPS plug. They have three wires in it, and is king of a bigger type plug. Hard to explain with no picture on here

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got another empty plug...red/white, green/white. Is this the EVAP purge valve? I don't see anything else it can/would go to and the EVAP purge valve has no wire/plug whatsoever that will reach to it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe the EVAP purge is right on the intake manifold near the IACV. With my stock harness, I had to extend the harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everything else seems to be alright I guess.....entire harness seems to be a little 'short'. From a plug on the cam side to the tranny side, it seems like it's stretching the wiring a lil harder than I feel comfortable with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You ordered a custom harness and it doesn't reach? I'd be bringin up some issues.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've also got two sensors on the fuel rail that now have no plugs whatsoever that will reach them. I know for a fact the H22 harness I sent him had wiring to go to these.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like you need to talk with him.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do i do here? One is in a vacuum line connected to the FPR, the other is on the front of the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only wiring on the intake manifold is the purge harness, iacv, map, tps, iab's, and fuel injectors. as for vacuum lines, there is iab's, egr, map, FPR (going directly from the intake manifold to the FPR), the purge hose and the brake booster.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it safe to cut and then lengthen some of the wires that are just TOO short to reach their respective plugs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, I've got ECU pins on long wires (like 20-30" long).....3 of them total. I was under the assumption everything would just be wired up all the way to the strut tower plugs, and I'd tap into the ECU from there. I've got NO clue where these are supposed to go whatsoever. One comes straight from a sensor right by the thermostat, and the others are wrapped up with electrical tape far enough that I can't tell where the originate from. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry bro, not sure what you're referring to. everything goes in one place. I would just lay the harness on the motor and wire accordingly. There are three big harnesses that go to the shock tower, there are also other harnesses on the OTHER side, which go near the brake master cylinder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They're spliced into stock ECU leads. One is white, one is red. The one coming from a sensor by the T-stat is green/black.

I had the wiring done for me to save the headache, and now I think I'm more confused than I was to begin with.

Any and all help will be appreciated. I'm soooo confused.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds to me like wiring from scratch is the best option and do all work yourself. I would have a talk with the person who did your harness.

HTH
Old 04-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think I want to.

I waited weeks to get that thing.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:49 PM

You paid to have a harness made. Now you have a headache bigger than you had before. This isn't right.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got ECU pins..the actual pins that plug into the ECU, on long wires just coming out of the middle of the harness.

I assume I'm supposed to tap into the ECU with them...but i've got no clue what each of them are for.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's true.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I literally waited weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks for this thing.

I'm afraid if I send it back to him it will be WEEKS before I ever get it back.

I start a new job next week and can't afford to be without a car.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:01 PM

Check the helms when you get it *wink*
Old 04-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam man, you have the worst luck, too bad I didnt see this post earlier I would have offered to talk on the phone with you and tell you the colors of the wires for each sensor on the IM and surrounding arear by just looking at my setup. If you want to I'll be around tomorrow night anytime after 7pm my time if you wanna holla.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (fastwanabe)

Well, after studying a Civic and Prelude manual, I've got it mostly figured out.

I need to extend a few sets of wires, no biggie.

However, I'm missing the IAB electrical plug, and also the EGR Control Solenoid Valve plug. So I guess I need to try to hunt down some plugs, and then just wire them up myself.

Anybody have any spare plugs? lol. They're all the same size *crosses fingers*

Old 04-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my harness back from Prospeed today.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

PROSPEED from so cali?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (There is no sp00n!)

yeah, I've talked to him and gotten most of it sorted out.

One of his employees forgot to send me a diagram on what I still needed to hook up.

It's mostly figured out now, but I'm still mising the IAB plug, and the EGR Control Solenoid Valve. I know they didn't come on the Civic harness, but they were on the Prelude harness, so I'm trying to get him to send me just those two plugs back and I'll wire them in myself.

I don't want to bash Brian at Prospeed..it was mostly just a gross misunderstanding by my part.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, I'm SOO sorry to hear that. If ya need plugs, let me know what they are. I have an entire Civic harness that I've destroyed, and probably have 2 or 3 of what you're looking for. Jsut LMK if you're in need.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:42 PM

Jon, sorry to hear about that. You'll get it done though, it's just extremely time consuming.

I still have the hashed up JDM prelude harness and have some plugs on it still. Let me know if you need plugs.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (poison)

The only plug I REALLY need (because I can't do the wiring with the engine in), is the plug to go to the IAB. With about 3" of wire or so so I can run the rest of it custom.

The only other thing I need is the EGR Control Valve plug..the one that sits on the firewall. I've got the EGR valve on the engine wired up...but not the seperate control valve.

So IAB electrical plug (most important right now) and the EGR Control valve....it's the green vacuum mushroom. There's an electrical plug that goes with it.

Anybody have any of these? I'm sure there's plenty of different plugs that'll work on the IABs..because it's the exact same plug as like 5 others on the engine. Just the lil round one.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:38 PM

yeah, I'll see if I can dig up one.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hot EG, I've got that EGR thingy you are talking about.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to bash Brian at Prospeed..it was mostly just a gross misunderstanding by my part. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, figures, they are asses, **** PROSPEED they can go EAT A DICK
Old 04-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring. (There is no sp00n!)

Alright. Engine is in! Axles are going in tomorrow. Hopefully I can have it on the road by Fiday night

Accidently chipped a small portion of the Crank Pulley lip off while trying to cram the thing in there....should I be worried about this?

Brian is sending me the IAB plug....so that's taken care of

Fastwanabe, how much do you want for the EGR plug?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you get the plug you needed? I can check if you didn't"

Quick Reply: Need MAJOR Help. H22 wiring.