Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K series specs and EG/DC/EK swap FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K series specs and EG/DC/EK swap FAQ's

Hybrid Racing FAQ

What K do I want?

K20a-JDM ITR and CTR both come in with 11.5:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Type R motor is rated at 220hp at 8,000rpm and 152lb-ft at 7,000 rpm. The CTR is rated at 200hp and 144lb-ft. Both of these motors have the same VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC. It also has Larger cams, higher compression and larger intake manifold than the Type S motor. This motor comes with a 6 speed transmission and LSD. The 6-speed manual transmission uses multiple synchronizing cones for all gears, including a triple-cone synchronizer in 1st and 2nd gears and a double-cone synchronizer in 3rd through 6th gears.

K20a2-Acura Rsx Type S has 11.0:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Type S is rated at 200hp at 7,400 and 142 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm. This motor also comes with a 6 speed transmission with no LSD. It has the same VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC.

K20a3-Acura Rsx Base and Civic SI models come in with 9.8:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Base motor is rated at 160hp at 6500rpm and 141lb-ft at 4000 rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no VTEC mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor also comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

K24a1-Honda CRV comes in with 9.6:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 160hp at 6000rpm and 162 at 3600 rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no VTEC mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor also comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

K24a2- The Acura TSX comes in with 10.5:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 200hp at 6800rpm and 166lbs-ft at 4500rpm. This motor uses the conventional VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC. This motor uses a drive by wire throttle and has EGR castings on the manifold. This motor comes with a 6 speed transmission and no LSD.

K24a4- the Honda Element and Accord come in with 9.7:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 160hp at 5500rpm and 161 at 4500 rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no Vtec mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor also comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

What is I-VTEC? VTC?

The "intelligent” I-VTEC system uses Variable Timing Control (VTC) to adjust "camshaft phasing." By varying oil pressure, VTC can continuously vary intake timing relative to the engine's exhaust timing. The result of I-VTEC is improved response and enhanced performance at low engine speeds and efficiency across a broad power band. This has been coined Hondas gift to tuners. From the factory VTC has not been optimized for pure performance. In the future look for the K series motors with the most power to be optimizing the VTC system.

What is the Immobilizer?

Honda has installed a new immobilizer (type 3) in there 02+ model cars. The immobilizer system has 4 parts: The Key, Immobilizer system indicator, immobilizer control unit, and ECM. All of these must be in place for the car to crank. The key is coded with a transponder id code. The immobilizer control unit is around the ignition switch. It uses an electromagnetic induction to power the transponder in the key. The key then sends its ID code to the control unit. Once received it is matched against the code in the receivers’ memory. If the code matches, the immobilizer will send a coded signal to the ECM allowing the car to crank. If it does not match it will not send a code and the car will not crank.

What ECU will I have to use with my K series swap?

Honda has installed its latest version of the immobilizer into its newer generations. This limits us on how to bypass this system. Luckily Honda of Japan gets an ECU that does not have the Type 3 immobilizer installed. Thus you can install a Type R ECU into your EG to allow it to crank with the necessary wiring. The other method requires the use of a Hondata K-pro. The K-pro has the ability to disable the immobilizer from within. In addition to allowing you to disable the immobilizer you will be able to adjust timing, fuel and crank angles. If you plan on going fast with you K motor than the K-pro should be your first purchase. For more information regarding the K-pro check out Hondata’s website in addition to the Hondata notes found on hybrid-racing.com.

What header will I need to use for this swap?

Hybrid Racing is working on a custom Header that will be available with all of its swaps. For now the best header to use on the market is the Comptech TSX header or the stock TSX header.

What harness do I need to use for my K series swap?

The harness that hybrid racing offers can be used with both the Type R engine harness and the Type S engine harness. It requires you to run 2 wires and allows the use of the factory gauge cluster. It includes a DTC to interface with the ecu and comes with a lifetime warranty from manufactures defects.

What do I do about the cooling system?

Hybrid Racing will offer a direct bolt in radiator, fan, and radiator bracket.

How will I shift the car?

You will need to use the stock shifter box in the RSX. Then you will need to run the cables into the chassis and connect them to this unit. The stock center console will not fit over this box. Hybrid Racing is working on a replacement console for all chassis.

What axles do I use when swapping a K series motor into an EG/DC chassis?

Hybrid Racing offers axels for your K series swap. Designed with a chrome molly center and a billet inner c.v. The outer C.V. is superior to Hondas dual arc design and incorporates a single arc design. The level 1 axel is rated at 225whp and is more reliable than a cheap rebuilt unit.

How much do K series motors go for?

Being the new kid on the block there is not a large supply of this motor from Japan yet. As the availability of these motors rise in Japan and America you will see the prices drop. Honda has generously placed the K series motor in 4 chassis in America and look for more to pop up over the course of the next few years. The motor codes are as follows: k24a1,2, and 4 found in CRV’s, Elements, and Honda accord and the TSX. The k20a2 is found in the Acura RSX and the k20a3 is found in the Civic Si and the Base model RSX. With all of theses chassis to choose from the motors should be easily available. The K20a2 ranges in price by mileage usually somewhere around 3500-4500.00. The k24 ranges in price from 950-1500.00. This does not include the TSX motor that has proved very hard to find. This motor would fetch somewhere around 3500-4500.00. And finally the base model k20a3 should go for around 1500-2000 for a complete swap.

Do your mounts come with a warranty?

All mounts come with a limited lifetime warranty from manufactures defects.

How will I engage and disengage the Clutch?

A custom clutch line will need to be run. Hybrid racing will offer this line with its swap kits.

Can you keep AC and PS?

You will be able to keep AC with custom lines and condenser mounting. The PS will function in the EG/DC/EK chassis.

I know that the EG has a return fuel system and the RSX has a return less system what do I do about the fuel system?

You will need new fuel lines, new fuel rail and a new fuel regulator. This is due to the fact that the RSX motor has a return less fuel system and the EG/DC/EK chassis have a return fuel system. The Rsx does not have a Regulator on the fuel rail like the older style B, H, and D series motors.

Are your mounts a full race version? Can I drive my car on the street?

We will offer our mounts in 2 stages Race and Street. Both are suitable for street driving with the race version offering a harder bushing than the street.

Are there any clearance issues with the K series motor?

The hood on your EG/DC/EK will fit with no modifications. We have tested the Invader style carbon fiber hoods and have not had fitment problems with these either.

On the DC/EG/EK chassis with power steering some lines will have to be rerouted and/or removed.

The oil pan sits about 3in from the ground on a lowered car. In the future hybrid racing will offer a stronger oil pan with more support to prevent scraping. We have had no problems with the oil pan hitting or scraping.

If you have any questions that are not covered here you can contact us via our website at http://www.hybrid-racing.com.

Thanks

Modified by 6spdEG at 1:35 AM 4/27/2004

Modified by 6spdEG at 4:31 PM 4/27/2004

Modified by 6spdEG at 5:06 PM 5/13/2004
Old 04-26-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: K series specs and EG/DC/EK swap FAQ's (6spdEG)

Whats the deal with the ps on the eg...whats preventing it from working?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:21 AM

The Pump hits the hood of the car. We are currently working on an updated version of the mounts and are working to allow the pump to clear. The only problem is we dont have much room to play with. I will keep you updated as we progress.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6spdEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What header will I need to use for this swap?

Hybrid Racing is working on a custom Header that will be available with all of its swaps. For now the best header to use on the market is the Comptech TSX header or the stock TSX header.

Modified by 6spdEG at 1:35 AM 4/27/2004

Modified by 6spdEG at 4:31 PM 4/27/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will any aftermarket TSX header fit?
Would the top half of the stock RSX header & custom downpipe clear the firewall?
Any pics of the TSX header?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: K series specs and EG/DC/EK swap FAQ's (Googs16)

The only header that we have tested is the comptech. I would think that as long as they are designed for the TSX/Accord/CRV then you should have no problem. Again we have not tested any others.

Modified by 6spdEG at 6:29 PM 5/8/2004
Old 05-12-2004, 02:18 PM

Modified by hybrid racing at 3:37 PM 7/17/2004
Old 05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pictures?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:40 PM

The prototype is being re-cut from aluminum. As soon as I get it in I will post picks.