Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if you have a Blown Headgasket or cracked Cylinder head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if you have a Blown Headgasket or cracked Cylinder head?

Hey guys just the the topics says....

How can i tell if i have a blown headgasket or cracked cylinder head?

I have performed a leak down test which was 8% on all cylinders and also a compression test of 270 on all cylinders. Which showed no sign of a blown headgasket. But i have alot of air going into my cooling system and i wanted to know if there was a test i could perform which would prove which of the 2 the air is comming from. Thanks !
Old 07-31-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: How to tell if you have a Blown Headgasket or cracked Cylinder head? (doublek)

How do you know you have a lot of air going into the coolant? Explain that a little more.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1322498

This morning i finally got a better clue on a blown headgasket........finally got some air comming out the resivor lines....bubbles like a champ. Weird thing is that no air comes out of the lines while at idle. I bleed the system. Idled for about 45 min. ALL GOOD. Took for test drive about 30 min into it the gauge skyrockets. Looked at the resivor and it was overfilled with air bubbles oozing out of it.
NOW how do i tell if its a blown headgasket or a cracked cylinder head?

Old 08-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (doublek)

There is really no sure fire way to tell. You just have to pull the head and bring it to a machine shop.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How to tell if you have a Blown Headgasket or cracked Cylinder head?

Heres a great article on how to tell if you have a blown head gasket also shows how to prevent one!

http://freecarsupport.com/blog/2012/...t#.UIsqSWk-t7Q
Old 10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell if you have a Blown Headgasket or cracked Cylinder head?

do a block test. vatozone rents out a little kit and you put on top of your radiator with a special fluid that turns yellow with a blown headgasket
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A combination of a bad thermostat and a LEAKY radiator cap can cause this issue
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem on my b20v..
Cap is new, thermostat, water pump. No visible coolant leaks in engine bay or on floor.
After driving for about 30 minutes the temp starts to rise. Tomorrow I'll check coolant level to see if it has gotten lower. If that's the case I guess I'll be pulling the head out.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow this thread is so old
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With cooling issues there are a lot of things it could be. But, with your leak down and compression results being good and equal I am leaning towards it being a coolant flow / pressurization (cap) issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a similar issue. I got a 2003 honda civic with overheating issues. At first it was a intermitten issue and would some how lose coolant and mechanic says it was electrical issue with fan and he said he fixed it but of course that didnt help at all. Then it started to get worse air was bubbling in resevoir and then car wouldnt start. Engine was flooded and rust was on sparkplugs, i knew then that it was the head gasket. Bought new radiator cap, thermostat, waterpump, headgasket and will be doing a coolant flush. I took off head is taken off and guess what i found...no blown head gasket. I took head to machine shop and they said it was fine. I dont see any cracks in cylinders but i can always check again to make sure but idk what caused all of this. Please help!!!