Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref

Let me share my experiences:

I am in a dilemma with my H22A EG hatch now, took it to the ref. the other day to the local smog ref in evergreen valley college, in San Jose, California.

I have done a smog test at a smog auto shop already and it passed. The engine itself is a JDM H22A, but has replaced and installed additional smog equipments.

I can not get it passed by the state Ref. since he wants me to get a work order from Honda dealer stating the ecu # 37820-P13-L11 (it’s an usdm ecu for 95 prelude si). I thought all I have to do is take the ecu into a Honda dealer and get a work order. However, I found out that the dealers are not willing to give me a work order unless I bring in the car and it can not be swapped into a civic hatch, it must be a 95 prelude. I don't know if they bullshitting me or not, but I saw some others who have gotten their work orders.

I went to the parts dept. and even got a letter from the parts sales rep. stating that it is the correct ECU and he even signed and wrote down his phone #. However, this was not good enough for the state ref., since they it their requirement.

Everything is good to go except for this freaking work order for the ecu verification. I am not sure if it has to be only from a Honda dealer, or can I just get a work order form a certified smog tech from a local auto shop.

I am scheduling my next appointment with the ref. in Fremont, ca instead. I think this ref. is too picky in my honest opinion. I am anxious waiting for my freaking smog bar sticker so that I can drive the beast again.....this is a long saga. For those who plan to take the EG H22A route this is my story.

I was planning to find a 95 si prelude and take in the dealer to get the work order. This is the only work around i can think of.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (tanker)

any varification from the dealer that its a USDM computer and u should be fine. Take it to another REF. Some are more picky then others.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tanker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me share my experiences:

I am in a dilemma with my H22A EG hatch now, took it to the ref. the other day to the local smog ref in evergreen valley college, in San Jose, California.

I have done a smog test at a smog auto shop already and it passed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just go to another referee in another county, preferably inland, and you'll be alright. Don't worry about the ECU work order, thats what BAR referees demand when the car passes visual and smog, but they don't want to certify it. I get that nonsense all the time, just go to another county and you'll be good.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how many dealers have you tried? maybe a different one will give you the work order...then you can prove to the picky bastard that you are legal. hope it all works out for you. good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (dkim48)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dkim48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many dealers have you tried? maybe a different one will give you the work order...then you can prove to the picky bastard that you are legal. hope it all works out for you. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Go to your local Honda-Tech GTG. And ask around if someone knows the service manger at a local Honda dealership. Ask for hook-up references! That is another option!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (hazw8st)

take it to fremont bro, i went and passed first try, the smog tech was really nice, and the student chic was cute
Old 03-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (STEV3-O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STEV3-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to fremont bro, i went and passed first try, the smog tech was really nice, and the student chic was cute </TD></TR></TABLE>

I really hope you are refering to a girl.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I really hope you are refering to a girl.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I really hope u can read
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STEV3-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to fremont bro, i went and passed first try, the smog tech was really nice, and the student chic was cute </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (STEV3-O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STEV3-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I really hope u can read
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Butthurt. LOL.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 PM

I took it to Fremont, Wyotech yesterday. Yes i have to agreed the ref there is much more nice than the one in Evergreen valley college one. However, still have the ECU work order requirement written in the dam Bar database. It's a no go, back to the drawing board.

I been to Capitol Honda, Hopkins Honda, next is maybe gilroy, and fremont honda.
Don't understand why it so hard just to get a work order to state it is the correct ECU.

unfortunately, i do not have connecitons to anyone who works at a honda dealer.

Anyone has a 95 si prelude in the bay area who willing to help me go to a honda dealer just to verify the ECU?

Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stanker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anyone has a 95 si prelude in the bay area who willing to help me go to a honda dealer just to verify the ECU?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're almost there. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tanker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I took it to Fremont, Wyotech yesterday. Yes i have to agreed the ref there is much more nice than the one in Evergreen valley college one. However, still have the ECU work order requirement written in the dam Bar database. It's a no go, back to the drawing board.

I been to Capitol Honda, Hopkins Honda, next is maybe gilroy, and fremont honda.
Don't understand why it so hard just to get a work order to state it is the correct ECU.

unfortunately, i do not have connecitons to anyone who works at a honda dealer.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

go to the one in Alameda. I failed there...lol...but the ref was hella cool. Didn't even hook up my ecu to check for codes or anything. The second time I came (it was within a weeK), he just put me right up on the sniffer within 5 minutes (just checked timing). Good luck on BARing your h22. I still haven't got mine to pass...keep finding little problems and things keep breaking on me.

btw, what intake are you using? cuz my big problem right now is getting my AEM intake approved. The state ref says the EO# doesn't say anything about the airbypass valve and there's no extra hole for it on my intake.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (Braco11)

I am using the ITR AEM intake w/ Carb# on it, and i drilled a hole and inserted an hose adapter so that i can connect the hose from the starting air something. I ref. said that it is modified, so he marked it as a no go. He said it has to be exact air intake on the repair manual like all-data, or Mitchell.

It sucks, would have like to keep the way it is but no.... bureacratic **** of California. Wish i was in another state where i don't have to deal with this ****.

Looking for a decent stock motor and drop it in and pass the smog. I'll sell it to anyone who is interested. Maybe the entire car to someone in a state who does not care about this smog issue. It the only car i can think of that is reliable, fast, and gas saver, which there are so many things you can do to it because of the after market support.

ah. back to square one to the d1.5 litter gas saver.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont give up so easily man. the guy in alameda didn't even tell me anything about the starting air thing. i had an aem short ram for a prelude. the air thing wasn't hooked up and he passed me on visual. but when i came to la, that's when i started having visual problems with these bastards.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (Braco11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Braco11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont give up so easily man. the guy in alameda didn't even tell me anything about the starting air thing. i had an aem short ram for a prelude. the air thing wasn't hooked up and he passed me on visual. but when i came to la, that's when i started having visual problems with these bastards.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alameda, hmm maybe i give it a shot. Hopefully he will as easy as described, I will let you know my results. If it pass great, else again anyone in a less restricted smog state interested in my loss?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tanker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Alameda, hmm maybe i give it a shot. Hopefully he will as easy as described, I will let you know my results. If it pass great, else again anyone in a less restricted smog state interested in my loss?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

he will check the aem part # though, so make sure it's for a prelude. that was the only thing he was picky about.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it pass great, else again anyone in a less restricted smog state interested in my loss?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't give up yet....
Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 PM

I notice you used the Prelude short ram. Does that one fit in a eg hatch with a h22a? Does it have the carb#?

I saw that AEM has hybrid version for 92-95 civic h22a engine, wonder if those have carb# on them.

Should have picked the prelude intake in the first place instead of the ITR. I chose the ITR cause someone told me that it fit and assuming it has the carb# on it, that the ref will allow it.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tanker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I notice you used the Prelude short ram. Does that one fit in a eg hatch with a h22a? Does it have the carb#?

I saw that AEM has hybrid version for 92-95 civic h22a engine, wonder if those have carb# on them.

Should have picked the prelude intake in the first place instead of the ITR. I chose the ITR cause someone told me that it fit and assuming it has the carb# on it, that the ref will allow it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

from what i remember, the hybrid intakes dont have carb numbers. yeah, i originally got an ITR CAI and then learned I needed the intake that matched the motor. The short ram is a little long, so i cut it right before the second elbow. There's no place to actually bolt it to the frame, but it fits fine.
I found out my egr solenoid was dying on me. Hopefully that helps me out. last time I only failed the 15mph on Nox (blew 1100, but my 25 mph was only like 300).
Old 03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Greddy CARB plaque....
Old 04-01-2006, 10:19 AM

come to salinas, about an hour south.... we can help you out over here.... he already knows what ecu you should have... so no need for work order...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (Boo2Tuk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boo2Tuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">come to salinas, about an hour south.... we can help you out over here.... he already knows what ecu you should have... so no need for work order...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great.... more details......
Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-15-2006, 12:27 AM

yea its a pain in the ***...gave upon reffing it...all about the temporary tags!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea its a pain in the ***...gave upon reffing it...all about the temporary tags!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, forget the temp tags, it's all about having your car fully registered. If a pig sees expired tags, he's more likely to pull you over, regardless if he sees the temp tag or not....

Quick Reply: h22a eg owners who have gone through the CA state smog ref