Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 runs like poopy. It bairly runs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 runs like poopy. It bairly runs.

I installed a h22 in my car and I am running into problems that I can't figure out. I am getting no cel's either.
Here is the symptoms:

1) Car idles ok but still doesn't sound smooth, every 5-7 seconds I get a little backfire out of it.

2) When I take it for a drive, the lights go dim, the wipers start moving really slow, and it eventually shuts off. Once the car shuts off, It won't start back up, even if I have someone jump me. I also smell alot of unburned gas too.

3) Speedo does not work, the tach works, but once I turn the headlights on, the tach needle goes dead and doesn't work. Once I turn the headlights off, the needle slowly works its way back up to the current rpm.

4) If I let the car idle for 5 minutes, the idle eventually lowers and shuts off.

5) And last, I have to hook up the battery charger every time I want to start it.

Ok, after all this, this is what I checked/repleced.

1) replaced alternator
2) checked all fuses
3) made sure I am getting spark
4) Timing is dead on, I installed manual tensioner and looked the timing over, and over, and over.
5) Checked wiring harness and everything is were it is suppose to be, I used this harness on my last h22 in this car and I had no problems, the only thing I can think of on the wiring side of things is maybe something with my resistor box.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Shooting Star

Is there a possibilty when you put that manual tensioner on that you tightened the tensioner to tight? If you didnt wire the resistor right it will fry your ecu!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

I will look over the tensioner and check my resistor wiring, hopefully I have it hooked up correctly
Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Shooting Star

the wires coming from the injectors that showed continuity on that plug will be the ones you hooked up to the same colored wires such as if you have 4 blacks and 1 red...those wires are individually wired to the black ones. the left over wires are then wired to the red one. And where did you get your resistor box from? Is it any good?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the wires coming from the injectors that showed continuity on that plug will be the ones you hooked up to the same colored wires such as if you have 4 blacks and 1 red...those wires are individually wired to the black ones. the left over wires are then wired to the red one. And where did you get your resistor box from? Is it any good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought the box for my last h22 swap but never used it cause I found out I didn't need it becasue I had saturated injectors. I am going to check the wires over. Will it really fry the ecu if they are hooked up incorrectly?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Shooting Star

yeah within a matter of minutes from what I understand.