Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems....car wont start on its own

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems....car wont start on its own

K i have a weird issue with my cars charging system. Basically I have relocated the battery to the trunk of the car and its been like that for almost a year now. I swapped to a b series before this summer and ever since then ive been having random charging problems. When I had the D series in the car there was no issues so im unsure whats wrong with my car. Basically the problem is this, first alternator that i had in there was from the D series and something broke inside the alternator and was super noisy so i swapped it out for a GM case alternator that i was using before on the D series with no issues to keep the car charged with a heavy load from my system on it. Then that alternator stopped charging after a day of driving with no problms. Then i got a 4-wire B series alternator from a neighbour and the car starts up fine but then battery light would come on everytime id stop the car. If I revved with car out of gear the light would still stay on but when in gear and driving the light would go out. Ive been using the car like this for awhile now dealing with the car sometimes turning off occasionaly but the car would start up no problem if it died. So today i decided to swap in the alt. that was originally on the B series which worked fine in the other car the swap was in. After installing it the car would not start so i got a boost and the car started up fine, left it to idle for like 10-15 minutes with no problems. Then I went to leave and i got about 2 blocks away and came to a stop and the car shut off. When i try to restart the car all i get is clicking and it will not start. I jumped the car again and it idled fine but if u hit the gas with the jumpers discnnected the car will die if u let it drop back down. I got home by keeping the car revving the whole way home but i know i cant drive like this so i need to figure out whats wrong. When i got home the car would sit and idle fine but if i turn it off it will not start back up and the relay will just click. What do you guys think this could be? Alternator? Battery? Bad Grounds? Starter? Igniter? Something else? I need help ASAP please.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

test the alternator.

While the car is running, disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, if it stays on the alternator is good.

Also, add an extra ground from the starter bracket directly to negative terminal on the battery, the tranny ground might be shot.

Double check the ground on the thermostat housing
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">test the alternator.

While the car is running, disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, if it stays on the alternator is good.

Also, add an extra ground from the starter bracket directly to negative terminal on the battery, the tranny ground might be shot.

Double check the ground on the thermostat housing</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will check that, although i think if there was a bad ground or bad positive connection between the battery and the alternator it would cause the battery to not charge properly? The weird thing is why will it sit there and idle but then it will not restart if i shut it off and try to start it right after.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k i left a battery charger on the battery all night and went to start it today and it would not start at all it will just click or do nothing. I am guessing my battery needs replacing or there is a really loose wire from the back of the car to the front and its not getting enough power to the front of the car?