Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18B LS engine into 95 Del Sol...Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B LS engine into 95 Del Sol...Need Help!

Yes i know where the search button is and yes ive tried using it but after doing so for the past two hours and getting mixed answers i have become overwhelmingly confused. So this is where I need your help. Please only post information if you are 100% positive. I am hoping that this post will not only inform me, but will help others who are performing this swap on their Del Sol. The car is going to be a daily driver with future plans on adding boost.

First off, I am putting this engine into my car (95 Del Sol S):

94 or up...B18B1 1.8 Liter DOHC non-VTEC Integra LS engine

I have decided to purchase the engine through hmotorsonline due to the countless number of positive customer responses i have read about.

<U>What year B18B engine should i put in my car</U>
Question #1
Does law in fact require you to put an engine that is your model year or newer into your vehicle?

Question #2
Since OBDII started in 96 and my car is a 95 with OBDI...assuming that question #1 is in fact true, would my best choice be a 95 B18B in order to save money and stress converting my car to OBDII while at the same time staying legal?

<U>Engine mounts (I will be using stock LS tranny)</U>
Question #3
Will the B18B drop into the Del Sol using the stock Del Sol engine mounts?
If not, what are my options? (Hasport, Del sol VTEC, LS mounts?)

<U>ECU (Engine Control Unit)</U>
Question #4
Will I need to change or modify my Del Sol ECU or is everything plug-n-play?

<U>Electrical wiring</U>
Question #5
Any wiring differences i should know about?

<U>Transmission</U>
Question #6
Since the LS tranny is a hydraulic clutch tranny and the del sol is a cable clutch tranny, will I need a conversion kit?

<U>Axles</U>
Question #7
Axles from a 90-93 Integra, 94 and up Integra, 94-97 Del Sol VTEC, or 99-00 Civic Si will work correct? Since im using the 94 and up LS transmission, I wont have to change the intermediate shaft seal on the left side of the transmission correct? (I heard you have to change this if you use the 90-93 integra axles)

<U>Radiator</U>
Question #8
Im pretty sure i can retain my stock radiator but in regards to radiator hoses, which ones do i need? (both the upper and lower hoses)

<U>Throttle Cable</U>
Question #9
What throttle cable do i need?

<U>Shift linkage </U>
I know the 94-97 Del Sol VTEC shift linkage will work and im pretty sure it is the only one that will work using this engine in the Del Sol. Correct me if im wrong.

<U>Air conditioning</U>
If you want to retain your AC you will need a 94-95 Del Sol VTEC AC bracket.

....finally, if theres anything else i am forgetting or anything I should know to make this swap a whole lot easier, please do tell.

I know this is a long post and time is valuable these days but I thank anyone in advacne for helping me out and responding to these questions.

If you know of any good threads, articles, or books in which this topic has already been discussed and is backed by factual information including everything i have discussed in one concecrated area...please do let me know so i can stop wasting your time as well as mine. Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: B18B LS engine into 95 Del Sol...Need Help! (Bryro22)

bump
Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM

BUMP...i will seriously pay someone for this information.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. that law depends on state.
2. 94 & 95 b18b1 would be a good choice
3. the only mount from the ls that you need is the drivers side assuming that all your other mounts are in good shape.
4. Get a p74 or obdI p75 from a 5spd teggie for plug and play ecu.
5. If your using the del sol engine harness you may need to extend a few plugs, ls will require no mods unless it's jdm.
6.your del sol tranny is hydro, no conversion needed
7. Your intermediate shaft, axles, and seal should all match.
8. Your radiator will work, your lower hose will interchange but need upper dohc del sol radiator hose(put on extra hose clamp hose is bigger than the nipple on the engine and radiator).
9. ls throttle cable will work
10. yes, use dohc del sol linkage
11. yes, " " " " a/c mount bracket
Old 05-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: B18B LS engine into 95 Del Sol...Need Help! (dohcdelsol93)

95 is considered pre obd by the federal gov. so that means you can use anything 93 to 95 if you want. The deal is that the motor put in must meet state criteria for emissions. but if you want an obdII motor you must install all parts for that motor that meet state standard for emissions also. best thing you can do is to contact the state and find out what the rules are for your state. Im an emission inspector for Ga so i have to deal with this alot
Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a question regarding all this info....
I'm looking to do the same thing except swapping from d16z6 to a b18c1, when shoppin for the b18c1, i noticed a LSD was available. Can i still use the del sol vtec axles with the b18c1 with LSD or what should i use? And for wiring, i believe i need to wire up for a knock sensor and for the IAB correct? Don't mean to hijack the thread, i just wanted to add on a feq Q's myself.