Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16 swap- Satisfied or unsatisfied

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 swap- Satisfied or unsatisfied

I currently own a stock 1992 HB Si as my daily driver, but am planning to turn it into a track car (road course). My other car is getting expensive to maintain for track use (Evo), and now that i have a mortgage i would like something cheaper to track.

I am debating on whether or not to go B16 or go with something a little bit more powerful like a B18C. I wanted to see how many people were satisfied with their B16 swaps or wish they had gotten something more powerful. TIA

I did try a search for B16 (below), but didn't find anything i was looking for. i could've missed something though.

https://honda-tech.com/zerosear...age=1
Old 04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16 swap- Satisfied or unsatisfied (SouthernCrane)

You need to check the archived files. And you also might look at hybrid and road/AX forum. There have been tons of threads on this that are very helpful. I think you will be happy with either of the b series.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

So, wait. You have an evo that's too expensive to run at the track, and you have a mortgage, and now you want to mod your daily driver to use as an HPDE car? Riiiight...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 swap- Satisfied or unsatisfied (BauleyCivic)

ok well i will actually give you a straight answer, umm i really like my B16 but i wish i would have saved and got a B18C5 , my 94' CX Hatch does go pretty quick though. im not unsatisfied but i would have saved if i had another chance. Also it depends on if your going to turbo it and what all you plan on doing.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 swap- Satisfied or unsatisfied (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to check the archived files. And you also might look at hybrid and road/AX forum. There have been tons of threads on this that are very helpful. I think you will be happy with either of the b series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, wait. You have an evo that's too expensive to run at the track, and you have a mortgage, and now you want to mod your daily driver to use as an HPDE car? Riiiight...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the Evo is pretty expensive to run at the track (4-8 mpg, 200 dollars per tire, expensive pads/rotors, etc.). it's just that i want something cheaper to run there and something fun to drive on a daily basis.......or it could be that i have the mod bug and i want to mod something else bottom line is that in the long run modding the civic for track days will be cheaper. other than the motor swap the car will not be too outrageous.....just some 15 x 7s, coilovers, and a rear sway bar. i will hopefully be doing 4-6 HPDE events per year, also if i can get this car up i can take my dad to a 1-2 events a year ( he won't want to do more than that, he is getting old) and he can drive this and i can drive the other car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vandersmissenc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok well i will actually give you a straight answer, umm i really like my B16 but i wish i would have saved and got a B18C5 , my 94' CX Hatch does go pretty quick though. im not unsatisfied but i would have saved if i had another chance. Also it depends on if your going to turbo it and what all you plan on doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the honest answer

the car will be non-turbo and stock for the most part.....i think

Modified by SouthernCrane at 1:35 PM 4/26/2006

Modified by SouthernCrane at 2:25 PM 4/26/2006

Modified by SouthernCrane at 3:41 PM 4/26/2006
Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 PM

IMO -out of the box power, the JDM GSR is well worth the difference in pricing over the B16 for an EG.
The B16a is a nice swap for a EF, but 92+ I try to talk people into the GSR as they end up being or happiest customers a year down the road.