Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM H23 VTEC swap ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM H23 VTEC swap ECU help

whats up. i havn't been here in a while but am an old skool member. i recently had to swap a motor on my 98 acura CL out of necessity and found that there was a place near me that had the JDM H23 VTEC for like $750 so i grabed one with an ecu. Now here's the situation.

I kept the vehicle OBD2B and am using a JDM OBD2B PCB ecu that i received with the swap. Now the car runs alright with this ecu. No CEL's, vtec engages and everything works like it should. But, the car idle's kinda funny when first started and seems to lack some low end torque. So i exchanged this ecu for a PCF which is for the JDM H23 Vtec. Only problem with this is that the ecu is for an automatic. Again it runs great only it idles perfectly when started, has great pull up to 5k, but thats it. Auto ecu = 5k limiter.

Question is, how can i trick the ecu into thinking that the vehicle is in D4 and not in park. Does anybody know what wires need to be grounded and which need voltage? I know it can be done, but i dont have the rest of the factory service manual here with me nor do i have an automatic i can take readings from. I have the 4th/D plug for the ecu and the D plug pinout. All i need is to get this thing to rev past 5k, someone please hook me up.

thanks again

mike

Name:  pg02.jpg
Views: 12001
Size:  64.9 KB
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM H23 VTEC swap ECU help

70 visits and no input. I'm still trying to figure this out if anyone has any ideas. i just need to trick the ecu into thinking that it's in D4 while driving.

thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bummer...i have an auto h23vtec engine harness just laying in my garage if you need it tho
Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92eg_h22
bummer...i have an auto h23vtec engine harness just laying in my garage if you need it tho
thanks anyway. I got a complete auto harness with my swap. I just need to trick this ecu so i can run this engine at it's fullest potential. I get kinda scared running this PCB ecu. I got a Fields SFC/VTEC to compensate the fuel, but it still runs kinda funky.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone.....anyone....Bueller?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the car Auto or 5 spd? Kinda confussing how you put it. If 5 spd wouldnt recommend running a Auto ecu. Different fuel maps, Different gearing etc.

obd2 h22a ecu may be your best bet. However not sure if there will be any issues with not having the crank angle sensor
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ESP.net
Is the car Auto or 5 spd? Kinda confusing how you put it. If 5 spd wouldn't recommend running a Auto ecu. Different fuel maps, Different gearing etc.

obd2 h22a ecu may be your best bet. However not sure if there will be any issues with not having the crank angle sensor
Its a manual 5-speed. My bad for the confusion. Now i can get around the sensor, thats not an issue. The issue with the H22A ecu is the 1) Immobilizer for the key and (2) - the evap system, vtec pressure switch and rear O2 that ecu would look for. I guess your right about the fuel maps, but the ecu that i'm using now prolly doesn't have the right maps either as it is for a DOHC Vtec F20B.

There's a dude on Ebay that offers a chipped P28 with the H23 Vtec fuel maps. If all else fails, i can convert and go with that. But seeing as i already have both the PCB and the PCF, i'd rather try to get the PCF working. The fuel maps can be adjusted as i have the SFC/Vtec controller
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crx_91si
Its a manual 5-speed. My bad for the confusion. Now i can get around the sensor, thats not an issue. The issue with the H22A ecu is the 1) Immobilizer for the key and (2) - the evap system, vtec pressure switch and rear O2 that ecu would look for. I guess your right about the fuel maps, but the ecu that i'm using now prolly doesn't have the right maps either as it is for a DOHC Vtec F20B.

There's a dude on Ebay that offers a chipped P28 with the H23 Vtec fuel maps. If all else fails, i can convert and go with that. But seeing as i already have both the PCB and the PCF, i'd rather try to get the PCF working. The fuel maps can be adjusted as i have the SFC/Vtec controller
I am not a obd2 wiz... but 98 cl immobilizer obd2 96-01 Prelude H22A ECU immobilizer, you need to add the vtec pressure switch not a bit deal. Take out the bolt and replace it with the vtec press. switch. Far as I know just has 1 o2 sensor obd2 h22. obd2 h22 ecu probably best fit. I would imagine the crank angle sensor wires for the obd2 h22 ecu will trace it out of the dizzy. Not 100% on that.

Yes OBD2B i guess your CL is to OBD1 jumper and a p28 chip h23a vtec would be an ending result if you have no major emissions issues. May need obd1 injectors then dont know. If then H23A Vtec manifold needs to be modified for the different injector angle that it has or just simply replace the intake manifold from a 92-01 Prelude. Either way sounds like some work.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ESP.net
I am not a obd2 wiz... but 98 cl immobilizer obd2 96-01 Prelude H22A ECU immobilizer, you need to add the vtec pressure switch not a bit deal. Take out the bolt and replace it with the vtec press. switch. Far as I know just has 1 o2 sensor obd2 h22. obd2 h22 ecu probably best fit. I would imagine the crank angle sensor wires for the obd2 h22 ecu will trace it out of the dizzy. Not 100% on that.

Yes OBD2B i guess your CL is to OBD1 jumper and a p28 chip h23a vtec would be an ending result if you have no major emissions issues. May need obd1 injectors then dont know. If then H23A Vtec manifold needs to be modified for the different injector angle that it has or just simply replace the intake manifold from a 92-01 Prelude. Either way sounds like some work.
ahh...like i said, it run's decent for now. maybe i'll just get a wideband and start tuning it with this , ultra JDM, kung-foo fuel controller i got. thanks for the input
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just convert the auto ecu to manual. Its a simple as removing one resistor with the obd1 ecu's, so might be possible with yours. Do a search on auto to manul ecu conversions.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
New User

I kno this iz out of your topic & I was wonderin if you could gimme some help plz. I have a jdm h23 in my prelude si. My cousin & I dida complete engine rebuild. Our only problem iz that my car jus cranks & doesn start. But if it does start it'll only stay on for a few seconds. We thought this problem coulda been tha timin belt. So we redid tha timin to see if it was tha problem. But sadly it wasn. Do you kno what tha problem can be?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 98 auto prelude with stock p5m-a52 ecu, i would like to switch to another ecu so i can go over 6500rpm, i know the tranny cant take it but the engine can but i dont mind blowing up the tranny as i have another. i saw someone use a obd2 f20 jdm ecu once so can i use that ecu or similiar i think it was a p0f or something. jdm f20 auto ecu or what other auto ecu can i use for higher rev limit? i dont want to convert to manual or obd1 as either way is a mission, the immobilizer isnt a problem for me i will just run a wire from starter to battery
Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Trial User

What Automatic ECU will run the H23 DOHC VTEC with an H22 tranny? It's going in a 93 prelude. I hear the p28 is what i need, and was recommended this "obd1 h23 dohc vtec automatic ecu" but i can't find it anywhere. I'm lost, please help.

~TheLudeDude
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring up a old thread. This is for the people that have the same problem.

Ok there are 3 correct ways to solve this problem.

1. You can simply use a JDM or USDM 96 prelude ECU VTEC

2. You can use a reprogrammed P28 ECU

3. You can use any JDM Prelude ECU

Because you want to keep your car OBD2B, The JDM ECU is your only choice.
97-01 USDM ECUs are equipped with the Anti-thift Immobilizer that everyone claims that they can remove. It won't work and is illegal, and even if it does, the ecu will be more confused than a naked girl and a virgin.

Not only the JDM ECU is the correct choice, its the smart one. Not only it doesn't have a immobilizer but it also lacks in emissions components that the USDM ECU have.

For performance Junkies and the people who don't really give a **** about the emissions and laws, the OBD1 is the way to go. OBD1 is the way to go because it provides the ability to be Tuned. Stay AWAY!!!! From OBD2 unless you have.

Hope this Helps everyone...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheLudeDude
What Automatic ECU will run the H23 DOHC VTEC with an H22 tranny? It's going in a 93 prelude. I hear the p28 is what i need, and was recommended this "obd1 h23 dohc vtec automatic ecu" but i can't find it anywhere. I'm lost, please help.

~TheLudeDude
You can use a P13 auto ECU or a P28 Programmed
Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by JdM-MiNistEr
You can use a P13 auto ECU or a P28 Programmed
I was told that a p28 is the same as a p72, cause i ordered a p28 from some guy that tunes them and such, and he gave me a p72 instead of a p28, and he said it works the same, but in reality it isn't doing me much good and I'm stuck using a p14 right now..
I might try to find an auto p13, i believe i tried one, but only 2nd and 3rd gear worked with the p13, same with the p72.
the p72 idles the engine nice and everything but gives a flashing D4, and only 2nd and 3rd gear will work with it.
Maybe I need another TCU as well? Idk what TCU, though.

Please help, anyone.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What TCU u using Now
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a f20b auto in a 97 accord..trying to find the right OB2A Ecu. Any idea? Tried PCB...car doesn't start
tried p5m..car starts wont shift out of park.
running out of options.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the same engine, whit a f22b1 trans, revs to 5800r pms, but still its not working factory, a friend told me that i can use a pcd-004 ECU , of the accord euro r h22a, is that correct? it will run smooth? i don t know if there is any diferences one engine to other than the heads displacements ,
Old 09-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got a h23a blue top engine on my accord 96 ex coupe, i keep the manual trans of my old f22b1, put all together on the engine bay, the problem was the ECU PCF, like u revs limit was 5k, so i buy a ECU PCD-014 from a Euro r engine h22a4, same hp, same most everything ( im trying to figure out the IAB's ) and runs smooth, the vtec engage at 5.5k , so my advice its to buy that ecu
Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheLudeDude
I was told that a p28 is the same as a p72, cause i ordered a p28 from some guy that tunes them and such, and he gave me a p72 instead of a p28, and he said it works the same, but in reality it isn't doing me much good and I'm stuck using a p14 right now..
I might try to find an auto p13, i believe i tried one, but only 2nd and 3rd gear worked with the p13, same with the p72.
the p72 idles the engine nice and everything but gives a flashing D4, and only 2nd and 3rd gear will work with it.
Maybe I need another TCU as well? Idk what TCU, though.

Please help, anyone.
hey lude dude i also got a prelude 95 i rebuilding the whole car know for over a year i also got the jdm H23A vtech with 5spd i lacking a turbo intake manifold and i cannot find a starter to fit but i got an extra ecu with p28 and a turbo chip in it i will double check to make sure no one took it as my garage recently got broken into but if i got it i will be willing to send it off to you if it willo help let me look and i will let you know.Rod tucson,Az