Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so ive done my swap now, i followed the write up and now the car runs but its running very rough and when i give it to much gas it bogs and then dies
Anyone have any idea what could cause this? obd1 jdm b16 into my 96ek hatch.
btw Katman I was able to re-use my auto harness
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Re: (bigwally9876)

Katman I have a OBD2 F20b thats going into my 98 accord which is OBD2B. Plan on using stock engine harness. Can i use the stock injectors and dizzy of the OBD2 f20? Or even of my OBD2 accord. I have conversion harness OBD2B to OBD1 Ecu. Which i will be running a chipped p28 with F20b basemap. Will this work? With no wiring to the harness at all?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Katman)

- left side (driver side) dual-post engine block mount (only needed if going B18C)

this would still apply towards a b18b going into an ek correct?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Soarer5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soarer5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this would still apply towards a b18b going into an ek correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct.
All 94-00 B18B/C's use a 3-post mount.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Katman)

Katman I need help also please. i swapped a B16A into a 98 dx(I know this is the first mistake i made but cannot turn back now so i hope you can help me). It starts and idles great but will not rev past 3400 or so like limp mode or something.
I used your diagrams to convert all the wiring from my stock harness to obd-1. I dont know why this is happening. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Also, Will it hurt the car any to drive it in this condition???

Modified by supaslowdx at 8:42 AM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (supaslowdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supaslowdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Katman I need help also please. i swapped a B16A into a 98 dx(I know this is the first mistake i made but cannot turn back now so i hope you can help me). It starts and idles great but will not rev past 3400 or so like limp mode or something.
I used your diagrams to convert all the wiring from my stock harness to obd-1. I dont know why this is happening. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Also, Will it hurt the car any to drive it in this condition???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well first off, you need to figure out what CEL codes are being thrown by the ecu.

Do you know how to trip the diagnostic plug to make the CEL light start blinking codes?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. code 4 which is CKP sensor is coming up.
I checked the wiring again and it is right. I even tried switching the wires and nothing changed.

I need to find out what is wrong quickly. Is it possible for the CKP sensor to be bad in the dizzy??? BTW i swapped the dizzy onto a car that runs right and it is fine so I do not know what the problem is.

Modified by supaslowdx at 12:08 PM 4/2/2008
Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (supaslowdx)

ANYONE???
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 AM

i'm swapping a obd1 gsr into a 96 dx.

just double checking...but if i had a ctr L bracket, it should work the same as a si or gsr one right?

also, i was wondering if i needed different bolts for the L bracket. my civic ones seem to be too small.

please, any help will be appreciated. otherwise im going to end up crawling back to honda and spend some more unnecessary money...
Old 04-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (wendong)

FIXED.
Thanks again Katman
Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM

ok, so i figured out the bracket situation...i HAVE to use a 99-00 si L bracket.

now i'm stuck with the heater hoses. there are 2 heater hoses that come out of my civic firewall from the heater box. one hose (left) connects to the heater **** thing. i can't figure out where the second hose (right) connects to on my gsr engine. please help!!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Hi Katman.
Want to ask you, if i want to change engine from non vtec(m) to vtec(m) D16z6 single cam. The question is what modification in wiring need if i not change ECU (non vtec) to makesure vtec opened.

Modified by ferio3268 at 7:43 AM 4/13/2008

Modified by ferio3268 at 7:44 AM 4/13/2008
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my first swap, so I'm trying to make sure I understand all information to get it right the first time. I am not a mechanic so i don't always understand all terms, so my dad will be helping me. My goal is to put a 95 B18b into my 96 EK using stock harness with minimal cutting/splicing. Anyone, please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Wiring part 1 - Can I skip completely because of no V-tec?

Wiring part 2 - 1) Using obd2 dizzy from b20.
2) Using obd2 injector clips.
3) Using obd2 alternator from b20.
4) Make hole in intake arm for IAT.
5) CKF doe not apply with an obd1 ecu, correct?

Ecu - Obd1 ecu with obd2a to obd1 jumper harness.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (ferio3268)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supaslowdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FIXED.
Thanks again Katman</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're welcome

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ferio3268 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Katman.
Want to ask you, if i want to change engine from non vtec(m) to vtec(m) D16z6 single cam. The question is what modification in wiring need if i not change ECU (non vtec) to make sure vtec opened.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you HAVE to use a VTEC ecu in order to run the Z6 engine at its full potential, otherwise using a non-VTEC ecu on a VTEC engine is pointless and you might as well stick with your non-VTEC engine.

With that said, and if you get yourself a VTEC ecu, you will have to add wiring for the VTEC solenoid (1 wire), the VTEC pressure switch (VTPS) (2-wire), and depending on which non-VTEC model you have, you may need to wire in 3 additional wires to the 02 sensor. CX models only, use a 1-wire 02 sensor. All DX/LX/Si/EX models use a 4-wire 02 sensor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soarer5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is my first swap, so I'm trying to make sure I understand all information to get it right the first time. I am not a mechanic so i don't always understand all terms, so my dad will be helping me. My goal is to put a 95 B18b into my 96 EK using stock harness with minimal cutting/splicing. Anyone, please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Wiring part 1 - Can I skip completely because of no V-tec?

Wiring part 2 - 1) Using obd2 dizzy from b20.
2) Using obd2 injector clips.
3) Using obd2 alternator from b20.
4) Make hole in intake arm for IAT.
5) CKF doe not apply with an obd1 ecu, correct?

Ecu - Obd1 ecu with obd2a to obd1 jumper harness.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got about 95% of it
Injectors - You don't have to change out your injector "clips" because you're reusing your 96 EK engine wire harness, so just leave those as is. But you do want the B20 injectors (240cc).
IAT - You can either reuse your OBD2 IAT as you listed or u can swap the plug over to an OBD1 IAT plug
Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman, thank you for the prompt response. Just to clarify, ok to skip over Wiring part 1 right? Yes, I meant obd2 injectors (at work trying to post fast lol). What are your thoughts on aftermarket injectors? My dealer prices are still pretty high for new ones. Lastly, if I decide to use the obd1 IAT plug, do I just color match the wires from my EWH?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Soarer5)

i have a 99 civic cx. im swapping in a bseries motor. I have the obd2b to obd1 jumper and p28. I want to use my cx harness. i know i need to modify it for iac and vtec. is there anything else i need to do??

do i run an obd2 dist or obd 1 with the jumper? i also have a crank sensor if needed

just kinda getting mixed up if someone can help
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (AK94GSR)

Im getting more lost but i think i have an idea where im at... please help me im out a car right now and cant get to school or work....

96- civic coupe obdIIa
i recently pulled my gsr motor out 97 obdII motor i had a jumper 2-&gt;1 for my p30 hondata ecu.

i put in a 99 ls b18b JDM motor and still using the obdIIA orginal civic 96 engine harness with the same jumper i used for the gsr to the p30.

i have an 95 integra ecu i wanna use with the 99 so i wanna be obdI...but the car runs then dies after gas is mashed. tps was not reading right because it was not pined right for somereason.

does my problem have to do with:
- my chaiss is OBDIIa ---------and my jumper harness is OBDIIa to OBDI
-my motor is 99 ls b18b OBDIIb motor. trying to conver to OBDI and use either 95 integra ecu or p30 hondata.
-or does my problem lay have to do with the ls b18b 99 ls motor being jdm?

any help could be great please
Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (.doeboyfresh.)

okay i'm putting a B17a2 into a 96 cx hatch. i read almost every page, the only part i don't get is wiring VTECH will my stock harness have the wires or do i add them in (my car is non-vtech btw). Like will i be taking some gauged wire from the solenoid and routing it to my ECU or something? any picture would help too.

I will be using my stock harness so i do not need to be informed about trying to use an EX one btw.
Oh and Katman, ii'm interested in a jumper harness for my application, can i buy one from you? I live in Canada though. hah

Modified by optionJDM at 6:54 AM 4/23/2008
Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (optionJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by optionJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay i'm putting a B17a2 into a 96 cx hatch. i read almost every page, the only part i don't get is wiring VTECH will my stock harness have the wires or do i add them in (my car is non-vtech btw). Like will i be taking some gauged wire from the solenoid and routing it to my ECU or something? any picture would help too.

I will be using my stock harness so i do not need to be informed about trying to use an EX one btw.
Oh and Katman, ii'm interested in a jumper harness for my application, can i buy one from you? I live in Canada though. hah
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah double posting eh? heh..I answered your wiring question in my other post.

Yes I have a jumper harness for your application! being in canada is not a problem hit me up when you're ready for it...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Haha yes with the exception of the jumper harness question.

Thanks for the help read the other post already.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff guys,ill swap soon Z6 sohc vtec OBD1 into EK coupe 97 year that came with D16 sohc non-vtec 105hp, ok, i dont think engine wiring be p&p with OBD2 wiring, so just i need to convert all with connectors to fit to engine and it works good, right? i have complete another car with Z6 engine..what really do i need to do exactly? samething with B-series engine?

thx
Old 04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey KAT, i pretty much followed everything posted. I did a swap on my friends 99 civic ex with a b20b converted to obd1. Everything on the motor is obd2 now as for dizzy, alternator, starter. I used the 99 ex wire harness, motor starts up fine, idles fine, but when i give it gas, it stutters and bogs out and shuts off. I thought it was the CKF but double checked everything is wire up. Please help me out on this thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1kreationz401)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .doeboyfresh. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
96- civic coupe obdIIa
i recently pulled my gsr motor out 97 obdII motor i had a jumper 2-&gt;1 for my p30 hondata ecu.

i put in a 99 ls b18b JDM motor and still using the obdIIA orginal civic 96 engine harness with the same jumper i used for the gsr to the p30.

i have an 95 integra ecu i wanna use with the 99 so i wanna be obdI...but the car runs then dies after gas is mashed. tps was not reading right because it was not pined right for somereason.

does my problem have to do with:
- my chaiss is OBDIIa ---------and my jumper harness is OBDIIa to OBDI
-my motor is 99 ls b18b OBDIIb motor. trying to conver to OBDI and use either 95 integra ecu or p30 hondata.
-or does my problem lay have to do with the ls b18b 99 ls motor being jdm?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, here's my suggestions..
First check and see if the B18B TPS is damaged. Maybe swap the TPS from your GSR throttlebody over to the B18B TB and see if that does anything.

Next would be to check the jumper harness converter. See if any of the wiring came undone or loosened up.

It has to lie in there somewhere. The ECU wouldn't be the cause nor would be the engine harness * unless either has been tampered with*. It has to be either the TPS sensor being bad or adjusted wrong, or the jumper harness converter is messed up somewhere.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Walterronny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good stuff guys,ill swap soon Z6 sohc vtec OBD1 into EK coupe 97 year that came with D16 sohc non-vtec 105hp, ok, i dont think engine wiring be p&p with OBD2 wiring, so just i need to convert all with connectors to fit to engine and it works good, right? i have complete another car with Z6 engine..what really do i need to do exactly? samething with B-series engine?
thx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, its pretty much the same as a B-series OBD1 swap, just on a D-series level. You have to reuse your 97 coupe engine harness and perform the mods to it (add VTEC and perform the IACV mod). If you wanna make life easier on yourself, source out a 96-98 EX dizzy and injectors; reuse the alternator from non-VTEC motor you're pulling from the coupe as well as teh IAT sensor. Otherwise you can use the OBD1 dizzy but of course you'll have to swap an OBD2 connector plug to it. Or purchase a Rywire dizzy plug adapter harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1kreationz401 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey KAT, i pretty much followed everything posted. I did a swap on my friends 99 civic ex with a b20b converted to obd1. Everything on the motor is obd2 now as for dizzy, alternator, starter. I used the 99 ex wire harness, motor starts up fine, idles fine, but when i give it gas, it stutters and bogs out and shuts off. I thought it was the CKF but double checked everything is wire up. Please help me out on this thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a feeling it may be your wiring job on the dizzy plug. Perhaps you have a wire set in the wrong pin location or something. Double check the dizzy wiring.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Katman)

i tried that tps switching aroundand stuff already but i gotta check the harness thanks a lot kat
Old 05-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx katman.

just this package will be ok for swap and get it Z6 runs?

http://rywire.com/store/9600-c...9e80d

btw we will runs with p28 ecu chipped

Quick Reply: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *