Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

S2000 Build Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Build Suggestions

Hi, I'm looking to build a f series engine with some combos that's quite unusual for Hondas, but not for some others.

if you don't want to read my story, please jump to the end of this post.

I was going to build a K20/24 EK with a K20A2, a K24A2 and a K24A2 in hand. However, it seems that with all the cost, it will be better to just get a S2000 since my friend has one that need an engine rebuild in his garage.

The car will be for circuit trackdays. Not everything will be done right away, my money is not unlimited. It will be a stage by stage build, but I'm looking at the end result mostly.

At first, my plan was GTX3576R twin scroll with a build head, ITBs and stock rebuilt block.
It seems that people nowadays are doing CNC head porting.(4Pistons, etc.)
​​​​​Then, I found out I might have to import the car back to Asia. Where I live is full of small twisty touge roads and the track is about 4km a lap. So, I begin to think procharger with ITBs might be a better idea. Of course the rest of the car will be worked on. Don't worry about tuning as well.

​Recently, I've been back to Asia, visited the track, had a chat with my friend who races as a hobby and sat in his 993 on the Touge. My conclusion is a stock rebuilt with procharger.

Is there anyone who has done forced induction with ITBs with F20C/F22C compared to just forced induction? Will excursion home porting the head change the displacement emissions at a noticeable amount for import VI?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 Build Suggestions

Huh?????
I would not touch the ports of a F20 or F22 S2k head, with your goals in mind.

I have never seen any reason to swap intake manifolds either FI or NA on the S2k either.

stock rebuild is pretty pointless as well per $ in comparison of just another used healthy engine for sale.

If wanting a K swap, wait for Balladesports R & D of their long rod / stroke F series deck plated build. especially if your wanting to track.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never heard of Forced Induction used with ITB's how is that possible? have anymore information on that? sorry not trying to high jack your thread just very intrigued by this haha
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony101
I've never heard of Forced Induction used with ITB's how is that possible? have anymore information on that? sorry not trying to high jack your thread just very intrigued by this haha
Yes. it can and has been done. What one uses are basically ITBs with a single overall plenum. For example the Jenvey Dynamics ITBs allow for a larger plenum to cover throttles for one entry point. And no, it doesn't defeat the purpose of ITBs.

Turbo Plenum - Jenvey Dynamics
Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

OP is probably long gone at this point, but if you happen to read this thread again know that S2K members have a LOT of trouble keeping temperatures down with a turbo for circuit track purposes. It can be handled with a V-Mount intercooler/radiator setup, but that then somewhat limits you on what manifold you use as a forward facing one will probably get in the way of that.

I would recommend looking into either Science of Speed or Kraftwerks supercharger kits for the S2K. Would work out a lot better for track purposes.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
OP is probably long gone at this point, but if you happen to read this thread again know that S2K members have a LOT of trouble keeping temperatures down with a turbo for circuit track purposes. It can be handled with a V-Mount intercooler/radiator setup, but that then somewhat limits you on what manifold you use as a forward facing one will probably get in the way of that.

I would recommend looking into either Science of Speed or Kraftwerks supercharger kits for the S2K. Would work out a lot better for track purposes.
Which "temperatures" are you referring to? Water?, EGT?, Oil? I've dealt with a few Time attack S2000s, and honestly, a lot of that was solved, with proper coolers, venting, and aero. What I've found is that some S2000 users like to try to use body /aero packages for turbocharger use, when they were originally devoted to work with NA setups.

Riceball777 Is a perfect success story with his S2000 GTX3576R which on the daily duties was put through more paces than a Time Attack setup.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...60whp-3152804/

The case of a bad example:

A good friend of mine, with his "Amuse" GT aerokit , running a Full-Race setup. This was a wrong move to exhibit exactly what you're referring to. But my point is, the Aerokit, and other supplementals have a lot to do with whether or not you have issues with "temps".

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, I'm back!
Somehow the website reminded me that I have a few new posts here through email.
I was waiting for some people with more sense and experience to reply to my post.

There are some production cars that has ITBs with FI, for example R34, R32 and some people put Screw type and Centrifugal type on E92 M3.. you can also look into twin charged Exige.

Yes, it doesn't really matter which way, turbo or sc, both's problems can be dealt with some creativity.
The supercharger kit I've been looking at is indeed the SoS one, although I don't really mind the kicks in power.
I was looking at something similar like this with the turbo impeller facing towards the headlight or moving the intercooler more forward for the supercharger.

There is this double barrel ITBs I really want to put in, but space is an issue with barrel type.
I'm not in a hurry to start the project since I have a few more year to prove my skills/setup on the track to my friends in Canada.
Again, the car will also be used on twisty mountain roads.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM
------------

Have you considered just leaving the car NA until you come to terms with the platform?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forget about the ITBs, you will see no gains with forced induction and it will just making tuning more difficult, most likely leaving hp on the table. And yes I have experience with ITBs. The stock manifold is all you need and it very well designed.. Aside from replacing AP1 retainers or if your motor happens to be high mileage and needs a refresh I don't see anything to "build" in the head. Most people who are using CNC are trying to get every last bit of power and typically on B or K.

If you are on a budget and concerned with emissions keeping the engine closer to stock is what I recommend, even if you get the supercharger.