Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Stupid question regarding low offsets

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question regarding low offsets

With the neverending longing for low offset/big lipped rear wheels for the S2000, I just had a random thought.

If you daily the car, running a low offset with more camber will just kill your tire life. I took a look at the rear rotor and noticed that the hub portion is quite thick compared to other cars. Is it possible to get an aftermarket rotor (or one from a similar vehicle) that was "thinner" to mate with a lower offset wheel? The entire rim would sit farther in the well allowing you to run a lower offset.

Am I on drugs?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (shamoo)

here couple reasons why you shouldn't do it..

1)the thickiness is an engineering detail of the brake rotor, they design it at that thickiness for a reason. maybe they will break off if you mill .012 mm off it, maybe not.

2)by removing material you are decreasing the themal capacity of the rotor, the sole function of the brake is convert rotational energy into heat, the rotor is a heat shrink and that's all it does. by removing mass off the rotor you are decreasing the performance of the brake.

3)buy proper wheels or rota

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (shamoo)

drugs ftw lol

i see what you did there so i will make a shitty paint drawing to illustrate my thoughts
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (361 accord)

right i think maybe you meant like if you get different offset rotors, well the offest from the hub and the disks, you could move the caliper inwards and therefore have huge lip?

thing is tryin to find said rotors that would fit then trying to get the caliper to sit right, but umm yeah i guess

umm just cuz its 4:20 here doesnt mean im high and think this makes some sense...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (361 accord)

i guess that i'm the only one who thinks wheels w/ a deep lip are ghey

seriously, peeps that use their cell phone/dollar bill/cigarette pack to show off their badd ballin jdm tyte wheelz are retarded IMO

big lips are only good for one thing
Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (GRAF-FITI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAF-FITI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

big lips are only good for one thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eating spaghetti right??? lol
Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here couple reasons why you shouldn't do it..

1)the thickiness is an engineering detail of the brake rotor, they design it at that thickiness for a reason. maybe they will break off if you mill .012 mm off it, maybe not.

2)by removing material you are decreasing the themal capacity of the rotor, the sole function of the brake is convert rotational energy into heat, the rotor is a heat shrink and that's all it does. by removing mass off the rotor you are decreasing the performance of the brake.

3)buy proper wheels or rota </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I totally understand that. I obviously would not try and modify the existing rear brake rotor/hub as it was designed with a specific purpose in mind by Honda engineers. If you look at the aftermarket options (i.e.: Wilwood, etc) you will notice the hub portion is significantly thinner than the OEM one. I'm sure that would allow you to fit a slightly lower offset wheel on there.

Doubt I will ever get wheels as I don't want to turn this car into a money pit, but it was just a random thought I had.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (GRAF-FITI)

i personally like the look of wheels that are flush with the fender... makes it look more agressive, but having to run a narrow/stretched tire and -infiniti degrees of camber imo doesnt look that great
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Stupid question regarding low offsets (Chris.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil-EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Eating spaghetti right??? lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

well what else would they be for