Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!!

about 3 weeks ago I received a CEL for a code p1259. Which is a Vtec malfunction, and ive search all over here and s2ki. Ive changed my oil (oil was actually like a quart low) and the problem went away for about a week and the CEL popped back on again. So i took of my vtec solenoid and cleaned it, check to see that it works and put it back on. I cleared teh CEL and not even a day later it came back..

Its kind of hit and miss though. Sometimes when the CEL is on, my cutout is at 6k, but other times it revs all the way out. I havent noticed any loss of power with the CEL, vtec still kicks hard (when it revs otu to 9k). Anywho, i d/c my battery and the CEL will go for a few days before coming back on. As of right now, its off and has been since I seafoamed the thing 2 days ago.

Also, a week after the first time the CEL initially came on, I started to notice a lumpy idle. THis is only after it heats up and I come to a stop. Lets say im cruising at 30mph and I hit a stop light, clutch goes in, and the rpms drop. IT goes down to about 550-600rpms and nearly dies, but NEVER has died yet. And then it will sit there and flutter for a few seconds then go back to a steady 900rpms. This was one of the reasons I decided to seafoam it. It drove perfect after I seafoamed it, idle perfect and felt alot better all around. Then a day later, the idle problem came back!!! its driving me insane!

The only CEL i have had is the stupid p1259, so nothing really telling me why my idle is lumpy like that. Any thing I should check for? I was about to go take it to Honda today and have them look at it, but I decided against it. I have had past experiences wehre they I have paid them $400bucks for them to keep misdiagnosing my problem. oh.. and YES my oil is full.

and just for entertainment purposes, heres a video of my car after i seafoamed it. It cut out like crazy at first and im bouncing down my road, haha.

http://vids.myspace.com/index....49082

oh and heres a picture so everyone see's the icon and hurries in!! =D

Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!! (its_me_tuan)

idle just sounds like the ecu learning and making corrections... has there been temp changes where you live lately?

you changed your spark plugs after you seaformed correct?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!! (S@nt0s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S@nt0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">idle just sounds like the ecu learning and making corrections... has there been temp changes where you live lately?

you changed your spark plugs after you seaformed correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no and no.

ive been reading up alot, and i keep reading that it may be an oil pressure problem. I bought the car a lilttle over a month ago with 78k on it and ive put nearly 3k on it. If the rings are bad or something internal is wrong with it, IM GONNA BE SOOO PISSED!!. But contrary to that, it runs perfect pass idle, and pulls hard. I pulled an 8.83 on the 1/8th, which is pretty good for around here. I dont think i would be getting good ET's with a motor that is burning oil and starving for oil
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I boubt its your ecu trying to adjust to the enviorment, that only takes about 15 minutes to do.

You said the car was low on oil, have you checked the vtec solenoid? Has your valves been checked?

Its most likely something very stupid.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
* B A N N E D *

Did you change your oil again after you SeaFoam'd it?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

change your plugs anyways because you should have after the seaform...

check your valve adjustment as well
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!! (Francesco)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Francesco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I boubt its your ecu trying to adjust to the enviorment, that only takes about 15 minutes to do.

You said the car was low on oil, have you checked the vtec solenoid? Has your valves been checked?

Its most likely something very stupid. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea it was about a quart low before i change it, but I had been "vtec'ing" it alot prior to that and didnt check the oil before i bought it (i know i shoudl have but i bought it from a friend.) Yes i check the vtec solenoid, but i just sprayed it off. Am i suppose to take off the screen and clean it? and no I havent checked my valves yet.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you guys explain the sea foam to me?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!! (Mr. Projekt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Projekt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you change your oil again after you SeaFoam'd it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY YOU!! I WANT YOUR SPRINGS!!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Francesco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you guys explain the sea foam to me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

seafoam = engine cleaner, its like a fuel treatment. I put some in my crankcase, some in my fuel tank, and the rest in my intake. It suppose to clean out the carbon deposits and buildup in the motor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S@nt0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change your plugs anyways because you should have after the seaform...

check your valve adjustment as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i will, but i dont understand how changing them will fix my problem. I had these problems BEFORE i seafoamed it. But im sure they are in need of a tune-up so i swap them out. Would my valve adjustment cause the idle?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by its_me_tuan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

seafoam = engine cleaner, its like a fuel treatment. I put some in my crankcase, some in my fuel tank, and the rest in my intake. It suppose to clean out the carbon deposits and buildup in the motor
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The make a specific engine cleaner and a specific fuel cleaner. What makes that good for all the task you mentioned?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Francesco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The make a specific engine cleaner and a specific fuel cleaner. What makes that good for all the task you mentioned?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the new cool thing, everyone does it!

Except for that one retard in the Civic forum that didn't change his oil after he SeaFoam'd it, and it kept fouling his plugs and his car took a dump.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Francesco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The make a specific engine cleaner and a specific fuel cleaner. What makes that good for all the task you mentioned?</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Francesco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The make a specific engine cleaner and a specific fuel cleaner. What makes that good for all the task you mentioned?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have no clue, everyone and their moms who own a honda does it so I did it. You're telling me if everyone jumped off a cliff, you wouldnt??
Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!! (Mr. Projekt)

yes after seafoam u need to change the oil and the plugs.. jsut some insight for you...
your valves may need adjustment just for safe keeping dont know if its been over rev'd crazy and needs it...

yes you need to clean out the mesh screen as well... ensure you have a good seal on it *** well when bothing it back up to the motor...
what oil did you use btw...
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S@nt0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes after seafoam u need to change the oil and the plugs.. jsut some insight for you...
your valves may need adjustment just for safe keeping dont know if its been over rev'd crazy and needs it...

yes you need to clean out the mesh screen as well... ensure you have a good seal on it *** well when bothing it back up to the motor...
what oil did you use btw...</TD></TR></TABLE>

so do i take teh screen off? ill go take it off now. and i use Mobil 1, 5w-30
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

yes clean it out.. i use carb cleaner....
also this is under normal engine temps correct?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, the spark plugs looked great, nothing out of the ordinary, but they do look a little old.

the solenoid looks pretty clean, but i spray it off anyways.

some carb cleaner in every little hole and now its nice and clean.

I have a feeling i didnt really fix anything, but i guess it will give me some peace of mind. Ill adjust the valves later tonight
Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

hope u didnt put any carb cleaner on the gasket ...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S@nt0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hope u didnt put any carb cleaner on the gasket ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

i take it you did? the rubber is gonna dry
Old 04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S@nt0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i take it you did? the rubber is gonna dry </TD></TR></TABLE>

well damn, i hope it dont leak too bad befoer i order another one..
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by its_me_tuan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well damn, i hope it dont leak too bad befoer i order another one..</TD></TR></TABLE>

put a lil oil to moist it up.. dry it off with a rag.. then use some silicone...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's no leaks but I went to tear on it a bit and the cel came back on again. I think the more often I hit vtec the sooner the cel comes back. I'm still lost about the erractic idle though, I wonder if the two problems are related. I can only hope
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tested the connections with the multimeter. The vtec solenoid clicks with a 12v on it. The pressure with reads 0 ohms (which is good i think) and the connector going into the pressure switch reads -4 ohms. Im not sure what the reading are suppose to be.. anyone know?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (its_me_tuan)

Check for continuity through the switch. Check for 12v @ switch connector (blu/blk) wire and body ground, then through the connector.

key on, check resistance through 1p solenoid connector and body ground (14-30 ohm).

After those just verify proper wiring to components and to ecu.

Bad pressure switch, bad solenoid assy, bad pcm, low oil/pressure (what oil filter?)

one of those ^
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (its_me_tuan)

first of all the didnt have to seafoam your car.. its pretty much new for carbon build up...

second you use/applied it wrong!!!

"seafoam = engine cleaner, its like a fuel treatment. I put some in my crankcase, some in my fuel tank, and the rest in my intake. It suppose to clean out the carbon deposits and buildup in the motor"

^^ thats for carb application... (its all mechanical)

i hope you didnt ruin any of the sensors... now your ECU is crazy tryna figure out what wrong...

for cleaning the injectors, you suppose this container Injector Cleaning Machine that connects directly to the fuel rail.. mix with 50 seafoam and 50 fuel..

...and for vtec problem....

do you have test pipe?

Quick Reply: stupid P1259 code and horrible idle!!