Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor

Driving around last night when I threw my check engine light. Got the car home to read the code and it's my o2 sensors. How hard would it be to change them myself, anyone ever done it? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA
Default Re: o2 sensor (megalomaniac001)

not hard at all... you can do it yourself... buy a haynes manual... also they might just need to be cleaned... check them out before you buy new ones, clean em and reset ur ecu... any mods to your car?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (SupersonicBlueGSR)

nothing to the motor. stage two clutch but that's it. how much would new o2's be?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well according to majestic, there around $200:

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...IFOLD

part # 007
Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

universal o2 sensors costs about $50 @ http://www.sparkplugs.com

oem costs near $150-200 depending on front or rear sensor.

i would just get universal & tap it into oem wire.

btw, make sure the car is cooled off before loosening the sensor or your going to strip the thread.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (LBBP R)

what about just cleaning them? just pull them out and rinse them off, haha. Is there something special I'll need to clean them with?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM

no, you cant clean an o2 sensor
and your better off replacing it with a factory one instead of a universal one
all you need is a 22mm wrench or a 3/8" ratchet with an o2 socket
i've seen the universal o2 sensors cause some trouble..
btw, i think honda has a pretty high mile warranty on emission components..if not then just repl. it with a stock one
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (LemurFaktore)

its not too hard just simple tools will do it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (s2kdre)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LemurFaktore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, you cant clean an o2 sensor
and your better off replacing it with a factory one instead of a universal one
all you need is a 22mm wrench or a 3/8" ratchet with an o2 socket
i've seen the universal o2 sensors cause some trouble..
btw, i think honda has a pretty high mile warranty on emission components..if not then just repl. it with a stock one</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually you can clean them...
i was running a gutted cat for some time and all this black exhaust covered the entire sensor and finally threw a code. I replaced it with a high flow cat and i was still throwin a code... propped the car up, removed the O2 sensors, gave then a good cleaning with a towel, put them back in, reset the ecu and viola... good as new... try it out, whats the worst that gonna happen, it throws the code? ohh no, not a big deal because you were gonna replace them anyways... lemme know how that goes...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its the O2 sensor in your catalytic converter, your trouble might run deeper than just changing the sensor. In my car the actual honeycomb material inside the cat broke off, and sheared the O2 sensor.

If that's the case, you have to also replace the catalytic converter, either with another one or with a test pipe. I put in a Berk Test Pipe, but the thing is still throwing a code for some reason, and I have no idea how to get it to go away....

Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (Lsos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lsos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its the O2 sensor in your catalytic converter, your trouble might run deeper than just changing the sensor. In my car the actual honeycomb material inside the cat broke off, and sheared the O2 sensor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds like a bitch
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lsos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its the O2 sensor in your catalytic converter, your trouble might run deeper than just changing the sensor. In my car the actual honeycomb material inside the cat broke off, and sheared the O2 sensor.

If that's the case, you have to also replace the catalytic converter, either with another one or with a test pipe. I put in a Berk Test Pipe, but the thing is still throwing a code for some reason, and I have no idea how to get it to go away....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you replace the sensor before putting on the test pipe?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o2 sensor (Mr. Projekt)

awesome, looks like i've got a world of pain to look forward to in getting this fixed. thanks for the info guys, I'll let everyone know how it ends up.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Projekt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you replace the sensor before putting on the test pipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean after? Yes, I replaced the sensor. Cleared the codes, turn on the car, two seconds later *bam* check engine light. Same code. Even tried a different sensor, and tried different methods of splicing wires. Same thing every time.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

What was the specific code?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went back and was showing one of my friends the o2 code that got thrown and now it's changed. I wrote down what it's saying is wrong and it says "o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)"

So this is the new code I have. Any ideas what this means?

Also on the emissions check list everything is checked good except Evap. System, Catalyst, and o2 Sensor. Only threw the one code thou. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

"Bank 1 sensor 2" would mean the secondary in the cat. Give us the actual code that it throws.

Instead of saying Bank 1 or 2, though, it should have told you Primary or Secondary. What did you use to pull the code? If I'm seeing correctly, the code should be a P0141, which usually requires replacement of the sensor itself.

Catalyst and Secondary HO2S would go hand in hand. The EVAP might be a different problem. Do you have an intake on the car?

EDIT: There is a trouble shooting procedure that requires removal of the HO2S and a multimeter. LMK if you want to undertake this yourself.

Modified by Mr. Projekt at 3:09 PM 6/28/2007
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM

ha word up, i've never really tried to clean o2 sensors but then again at work i just replace 'em...hook up the computer, pull codes, find freeze frame data, and if the problem lies within the cat, i hook up a cat tester n low n behold...but then again i work on mercedes so i mean i guess hondas arent as complicated....thank god for that
Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah p0141 was the actual code.

Sure I'd like to do it myself, what am i looking at to get them replaced?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lsos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean after? Yes, I replaced the sensor. Cleared the codes, turn on the car, two seconds later *bam* check engine light. Same code. Even tried a different sensor, and tried different methods of splicing wires. Same thing every time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you use the cel fix on the tp? That could be the reason it came back.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by megalomaniac001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah p0141 was the actual code.

Sure I'd like to do it myself, what am i looking at to get them replaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the code I've been getting and am still getting. I didn't do the CEL fix, but the Berk test pipe supposedly comes with it. Sure enough the O2 bung sticks out a couple inches. And besides, the CEL comes back within a second or two of turning on the car.

I actually wanted to do the CEL fix (spark plug non-fouler) on top of the Berk test pipe, but the O2 sensor I'm using seems to be too large. It's bigger than 1/2 in. so if I drilled the spark plug non-fouler any further...well, there'd be nothing left.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you replace the sensor before you put the test pipe on?

So I guess I'm going to go test pipe now...taking all that down just to replace a o2 is just giving me an excuse to do it

So what's a good one?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by megalomaniac001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you replace the sensor before you put the test pipe on?

So I guess I'm going to go test pipe now...taking all that down just to replace a o2 is just giving me an excuse to do it

So what's a good one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I first tried putting the new sensor into the catalytic converter but it wouldn't fit due to the dislodged media inside. I then put the test pipe on and then the new sensor. I got the Berk test pipe. It's cheap and looks to be good quality. Plus it has the CEL fix built in. Except it apparently doesn't work
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by megalomaniac001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah p0141 was the actual code.

Sure I'd like to do it myself, what am i looking at to get them replaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Around $260 the last time I checked.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called Honda and the dealership here said it was like 280 so no thank you. I bought my car from a VW lot so I have to deal with them if I want anything done. I called them about the problem and since I haven't had the car very long they told me to schedual an appointment and they would replace it, no charge. Saves me the money and the headache so I'm happy.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor