Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Light rain/water

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light rain/water

Yesterday I drove to DC basically to pick up a mint 03 with 19k on the clock. It has been raining for the last few days here and I noticed it hopping around just a little when I first started driving it home. Once I got back to Raleigh, I continued on to Asheville.

About an hour outside of Raleigh, I got sideway on the highway and clipped a center divider. This was about 11 last night, and I have no idea how much real damage there is to the car. I wasn't speeding, and tehre wasn't any standing water in my lane. Are these things all squirly as **** in the water or was it the Potenzas on it or am I just a shitty driver??

On the plus side, something like this makes you realize how much your family and friends care about you. I'm really luck to not be hurt.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light rain/water (Ricey McRicerton)

Before anybody asks. My cruise was set on 66 (speed limit is 65), and I was going straight down the road in the far left lane.

This is my first accident outside of the track, and it's like it's slow motion.

I remember feeling the rear end shift around twoards the passenger side, I turn back into it, ans gave it a little gas, but it just kept turning. I remember looking at the big concrete divider, hearing a bang, having my ears ring and smelling the stink of airbags and then getting out and checking myself for injuries on the side of 40.

I feel like such an idiot. On top of that, I was trying to be strong so that my mom and girlfriend didn't worry because I wasn't having any part of them coming out to get me in this mess (I got a hotel in Burlington). This morning, I'm having a rough go of things. All I can think about is how much this is going to cost me and that I really hope it's totalled out. I don't want a car that just hops sideways in the rain.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn so you crashed the **** the same night you got it? that's a damn shame...

please say you at least put insuirance on it already
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light rain/water (GRAF-FITI)

Yeah, it was covered. I should have stayed my *** at home instead of packing up and heading on to Asheville, but hindsight is 20-20.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 AM

Well buddy, I dont know what to tell you. Im sure you were driving to fast for how much water was on the road and or you didnt check the tire depth before you drove it. I assume this is your first rwd car and your tires were not good.

Also, if you hit the gas when you go into a slide what do you think will happen? its going to keep the slide!!! At least you are ok. Just see what your Ins has to say. Im sure they will fix it if they can. Good luck
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I first got my S2K the guy i bought it from still had the original S02s from 2001 on it.

The rears were completly worn out so he offered to replace them before he sold me the car. He put on Falken Ziex 912s which are an awesome tire.

I still had the worn S02s on the front though and the car felt nervous at high speed and I had drive in the rain one day and almost hydoplaned it. Luckily I have some experience with low traction conditions driving in the snow and freezing rain so I backed off the throttle and did not brake and saved myself.

I have since replaced the fronts with Falken Ziex 912s and the car is excellent on the highway now and really confident and I have driven it in the driving rain at 80 mph and had no problems

So It is my theory that S02s are either a bad rain tire or like a lot of high performance tires bad in the rain when worn out.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: Light rain/water (01SSAP1)

tire pressure?
tire wear?
first time with a rwd?

sorry to hear about what happened....
i would never use cruise control in the rain....... no matter how lil
Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The s2k isnt the most stable car in the rain esp on the highway with bald tires (in my case). On the way home from work lastnight on i-95 I couldnt do over 45mph without having to constantly correct my steering, it was freekin pooring. I noticed a big difference of traction when the asphalt switches to concrete. When its wet and your car is on asphalt you still get a lil feedback from the rear and it basically feels like driving a regular car in the rain granted your right foot isnt happy. But on concrete its a complete difference, my car feels like its constantly hydroplaning or on freezing rain you get minimal response from the rear and if you dont pay attention the car will try to slip out from under you. The S2000 isnt a very easy car to drive in general so forget about driving it in bad weather conditions and not having to be paranoid about loosing control. But then again it is a rear wheel drive with some what of wide tires in the back its not a civic or a teg with 195/55/15 size tires that have way more response in the rain the 245/40/17. Sorry to hear about what happened but if I was you I would keep it or get another because this car will make you a better driver if you have the ability to keep inprooving.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light rain/water (S@nt0s)

I agree Cruise control is not a good idea in bad weather.

I have driven in everything from hard rain to blizzards and generally in bad conditions if your not going to fast for the conditions and you don't make any sudden movements with the Gas,Brake or Steering your fine.

Nice smooth movements are what works. Plus having good tires made a big difference because in the end there the only thing that is connected to the road.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light rain/water (01SSAP1)

Sucks man. I think the road could have played a big factor.

If the road is like a black top type of asphalt that is slick and doesn't drain water well, then that could very well do it.

I find the S2000 (at least the AP2 with wider tires) to be very stable in the rain.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about your accident.... glad you are O.K. though.....

as far as what caused your accident, it is hard to say, but I would bet that it happened because of the rear tires being worn out....

I would also be willing to bet that they are the original tires that came on the car...and the owner did not want to chunk down $300+ for rear tires....

I have never been able to get a set of rear SO2's to last any more than 10k miles.....

and when they are at the wear bar they are scary, and beyond the wear bar deadly.... esp. in the rain....

I am on factory ap2 ver1 wheels w/ new re050's in the rear, and even they worry me in the rain...

good luck with getting everything taken care of....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 AM

yeah...that's a bad deal. I'm researching tires right now so I'll have fresh tread soon after I get my s2k. hope the adjuster is on your side...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alpha Kenny Wun: I find the S2000 (at least the AP2 with wider tires) to be very stable in the rain.

^^^ wtf are you talking about the wider the tire the more it sux in the rain and snow. wide tires dont pierce through water like skinny tires do, unless the wide tire is a rain tire made to perform in the rain. Why do you think the WRC cars run mad skinny tires in the snow.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (Black S2K)

I am really sorry to hear that you crashed the s2000 on your first day owning it. I can only imagine how shitty that feels! I do, however, have my doubts about the speed you say you were going... The car gets squirly, especially in rain, when the right amount of throttle is pressed in the wrong conditions. Being that it was your first day, I'm sure you put the throttle down on some kind of turn or slope which most likely cause the rear to give.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black S2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alpha Kenny Wun: I find the S2000 (at least the AP2 with wider tires) to be very stable in the rain.

^^^ wtf are you talking about the wider the tire the more it sux in the rain and snow. wide tires dont pierce through water like skinny tires do, unless the wide tire is a rain tire made to perform in the rain. Why do you think the WRC cars run mad skinny tires in the snow.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

leave it out of this thread and both of u are wrong anyways...
Old 10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (S@nt0s)

Got everything home. Thank god for a bunch of friends/family in the race scene. I got it on a flatbed and got it home without paying whatever ungodly fee it would have been to have it towed 80 miles.

Here are the pictres. The front tires look great. The rear tires look like ****. I'm an idiot for not checking closer. That is 100% my fault.

The tow truck driver told me that at least in NC (I bought the car in VA) that it's illegal for a dealership to sell a car that won't pass state inspection. There is an inspection sticker on my dash saying that it was inspected 10/10/07. There is no way they inspected the car with good tires and then swapped them. They had to break the wheel locks that were on the car because they didn't have the key.

I'm ******* furious that I was sold a car with tires that look like this. I know, there's a whole buyers beware thing, but I don't expect to walk away from a dealership with a car that isn't roadworthy to get home.

It's hard to see, but everything is shifted up on the drivers side:

Me and dads handywork to get the thing on a trailer:

Drivers side rear:

Passenger side rear:

Both of the fronts look like this:

I feel like such an idiot for not checking the rears. I looked at the fronts with the wheel turned to the lock and just assumed that the rears would be fine.

I chalk it all up as an expensive life lesson.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

wow those rears are worn

going through the insurance? or paying out of pocket for the fixing?

maybe contact your state lemon law?

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-ca...w.php

or check into the state you got it in?

http://www.dc.gov/agencies/detail.asp?id=24

I'd be calling the corporate office of whatever dealership sold me that.

oh and btw i dont see how its possible the car had 19k on it and THAT kinda wear ?mismatched rubber

I checked the dealer you bought it from and nothing about the tires

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=27

drats
Old 10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Type X)

I am going through insurance. I'm not blowing my nest egg to fix this thing.

I found a few things that seem to say that it has to pass safety inspection at time of sale. The odometer says 19,500 on it now, and the rest of the car does reflect 19k-20k conditions. It was pristine.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bi...-1539 That looks like it shoud have had to have passed inspection for it to be sold. I got no such peice of paper or anything.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bi...00000

This is the website I found it through. I just want to get it all taken care of and finished up. I hate the waiting.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

Sorry to hear about it, bro...looks like it would have made a fine car...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (ntensehonda)

hmmm. an expensive lesson for sure.. but check the lemon law. in MA they would probably have to buy back the car if the damage was severe enough. Those tires were terrible man! can't believe they sold it like that. also, ive been told to NEVER use cruise control in the rain.. its all over the internet..it can cause really sketchy things to happen when the car starts hydroplaning!
anyway, welcome to the s2k community.. and also glad to hear youre okay.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:10 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (mikesta21)

glad to hear you are ok!

that said-

seems to me they might be liable...

if that was a dealership, i can't see how they can't be held at some sort of fault. the car is supposed to be in a certain condition, and was represented as such. that car would have NEVER passed any inspection anywhere with those tires in that condition.

EDIT: ok, just read your last couple posts. pursue this man, please.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (builthatch)

I definately am.

My mom works for a high profile attorney in the area that is licensed to work in VA as well. I plan to have this thing resolved and not end up costing me a ton of money.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't give a **** what anyone says

light cars + rain don't mix....i stay under 60 NO MATTER WHAT when it's wet out. i have spun my civic around doing 50 in the rain by just hitting puddles........it's not fun.

people don't realize how easy it is to get into an accident in the rain until it happens to them...then they will be more cautious. I can't tell you how many fucktards i see FLYINNNN in the rain on my way to school in the mornings....
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black S2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alpha Kenny Wun: I find the S2000 (at least the AP2 with wider tires) to be very stable in the rain.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I just went out and traded my 255/40/17 for some 185/70/14s and does my car cut through the wet like no other!

I dont really like the way it looks but who cares when i can feel safer in the rain. Im being sarcastic btw.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black S2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf are you talking about the wider the tire the more it sux in the rain and snow. wide tires dont pierce through water like skinny tires do, unless the wide tire is a rain tire made to perform in the rain. Why do you think the WRC cars run mad skinny tires in the snow.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this has to be a joke

Quick Reply: Light rain/water