Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.

I own a 2001 s2000. And I noticed it getting hard to shift so I checked the clutch fluid and it was low. I put some clutch fluid in that has already been open ( I know not that good but it was what I had). When I put it in I put in too much not knowing. I pumped the clutch with out the cap on like 10 times. When I went to put the cap on I noticed it was over filled. I took out enough to be at the max line. I then pushed the clutch petal down and put it in gear and let go and the car did not move. I tried other gears still nothing. I then tried shifting with out using the clutch petal and I could easy with no grinding at all.

What do you think could be the problem? Sorry it is kinda long but I wanted to give as many details as I could about the problem.

Any help would be great. I was thinking that the slave cylinder may of been stuck fully depressed and is not letting the clutch go. But I couldn't find that every happing to anyone else.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.

I own a 2001 s2000. (I know it is not the right section but I figured the prob would be the same for any model) And I noticed it getting hard to shift so I checked the clutch fluid and it was low. I put some clutch fluid in that has already been open ( I know not that good but it was what I had). When I put it in I put in too much not knowing. I pumped the clutch with out the cap on like 10 times. When I went to put the cap on I noticed it was over filled. I took out enough to be at the max line. I then pushed the clutch petal down and put it in gear and let go and the car did not move. I tried other gears still nothing. I then tried shifting with out using the clutch petal and I could easy with no grinding at all.

What do you think could be the problem? Sorry it is kinda long but I wanted to give as many details as I could about the problem.

Any help would be great. I was thinking that the slave cylinder may of been stuck fully depressed and is not letting the clutch go. But I couldn't find that every happing to anyone else.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.

Since you were low on fluid, air might of entered the lines. I suggest you bleed the clutch! Do it a couple of times
Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.

Did you bleed the lines?
Does the clutch pedal have resistance or does it go straight to the floor?
Did you check under your dash for any leaks in the clutch master cylinder?
Have you changed the transmission fluid?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i am about to try that now but if i put in in gear i can still push the car around with the motor off like it was in neutral still.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you will need to check under the car on the drivers side you will see the clutch slave cylinder you can pull the black boot back. This boot covers the slave cylinder piston and the clutch fork, you need to check to see if the piston is stuck out or the fork is stuck. It sounds like something happened when you pumped the clutch and now either the slave cylinder piston is stuck out or the clutch fork is stuck. Making it not engage the pressure plate, this will cause what you describe as being able to push the car around in gear.

Another thing could be your clutch is so past worn that it no loger clamps even with it engaged and in gear. Before you had this new problem and it was hard to shift did you have issues with the clutch slipping?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by camoy
you will need to check under the car on the drivers side you will see the clutch slave cylinder you can pull the black boot back. This boot covers the slave cylinder piston and the clutch fork, you need to check to see if the piston is stuck out or the fork is stuck. It sounds like something happened when you pumped the clutch and now either the slave cylinder piston is stuck out or the clutch fork is stuck. Making it not engage the pressure plate, this will cause what you describe as being able to push the car around in gear.

Another thing could be your clutch is so past worn that it no loger clamps even with it engaged and in gear. Before you had this new problem and it was hard to shift did you have issues with the clutch slipping?
yea it moves when you push it but not very far. i am going to bleed the system right now and see what happens. and when the car was running it wasn't slipping at all grabbed pretty hard the last owner said he changed the clutch
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA

the last owner can say a lot of things... did he show documentation???
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolo95
Since you were low on fluid, air might of entered the lines. I suggest you bleed the clutch! Do it a couple of times
i just bled the system and i took the boot off i can see it getting pressed in and out and the fork is moving but still nothing. could it be anything else
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2KILLA
the last owner can say a lot of things... did he show documentation???
no he dident but the clutch was not slipping at all and this happened right after i filled up the clutch fluid. it was working fine last night and i left it over night filled up the fluid and tried to drive and got nothing.

and i am pretty sure there is no air in the line because the fluid was very black and i used super blue fluid and it was coming out bright blue thru the bleeder with no bubbles at all.

i just bled the system and i took the boot off i can see it getting pressed in and out and the fork is moving but still nothing. could it be anything else
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch fluid is not for the engagement of the clutch. It's for the disengagement. So nothing you did with the fluid reservior (over or under filling, filling with grape jelly, emptying out, whatever) would not affect the ENGAGEMENT of the clutch.

Your disk is probably worn out. Maybe time for a new clutch.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
The clutch fluid is not for the engagement of the clutch. It's for the disengagement. So nothing you did with the fluid reservior (over or under filling, filling with grape jelly, emptying out, whatever) would not affect the ENGAGEMENT of the clutch.

Your disk is probably worn out. Maybe time for a new clutch.
Yea but if i can shift thru all the gears with the car turned on and i do not have any grinds and the car doesn't move doesn't that mean the clutch is always disengaged?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So your saying that if the car is running, in gear, and the clutch is not pressed the car still acts like its in nuetral? so the clutch is not engaging at all, correct?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ReddotsS2K
So your saying that if the car is running, in gear, and the clutch is not pressed the car still acts like its in nuetral? so the clutch is not engaging at all, correct?
yes car is on motor running and i can shift gears without pushing the clutch pedal with no grinding and the car does not move.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just because you can shift without the clutch doesn't mean anything, since you can shift without the clutch in any gear with a perfectly good gearbox (except from a stop and the engine running).

what were you doing prior to the car becoming harder to shift? did it just progressively go away and you added fluid... or were you driving it hard?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Driven
just because you can shift without the clutch doesn't mean anything, since you can shift without the clutch in any gear with a perfectly good gearbox (except from a stop and the engine running).

what were you doing prior to the car becoming harder to shift? did it just progressively go away and you added fluid... or were you driving it hard?
no i can shift the car without pressing the clutch with the motor on. with no grinding. and when i put it in gear it still does not move. it was working fine last night the only thing i did was put clutch fluid in the car. and it was not hard to shift before this happened. just was low on clutch fluid
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very weird. Sounds like there is an issue somewhere with the pressure plate. It should be pushing the clutch to the flywheel but it sounds like it is failing to. If it were the slave cylinder or fork then it would disengage the clutch, but the clutch is already disengaged somehow. Unfortunatly this does not sound like a quick and easy fix. Pulling the transmission on this car is a pita.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very weird. Sounds like there is an issue somewhere with the pressure plate. It should be pushing the clutch to the flywheel but it sounds like it is failing to. If it were the slave cylinder or fork then it would disengage the clutch, but the clutch is already disengaged somehow. Unfortunatly this does not sound like a quick and easy fix. Pulling the transmission on this car is a pita.
Yea that is what i was thinking but it is so weird that it just stopped working over night. I am hoping it is something else but that is was it sounds like to me. a new clutch any other ideas?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ur master cylinder could have gone to **** look at in from the inside C if its leaking the seals could be bad enough for it not to work at all but the peddle will still feel like its ok
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black S2K
ur master cylinder could have gone to **** look at in from the inside C if its leaking the seals could be bad enough for it not to work at all but the peddle will still feel like its ok
i did look there there was some old thick fluid on the seal but i did not see anything fresh coming out when i pressed the clutch in.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope for your sake it is something else but the only other thing i can think of is your transmission. With the car off does is sound and feel like its going into gear?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope for your sake it is something else but the only other thing i can think of is your transmission. With the car off does is sound and feel like its going into gear?
yea you can hear it and it feels like it is going into gears just fine. with the car on or off. but before this happened i use to hear a slight noise when the clutch was not pushed it like a bearing noise. and when i pushed the clutch in it would go away. but now today i dont hear that bearing noise so it does also seem like the clutch is just pushed in all the time guess i should just get a new clutch or take it to the shop hope i can get some other options if there is any
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have anymore ideas. sounds like a pressure plate/clutch issue. Let us know when you figure out what the problem is. Make sure you get everything...flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have anymore ideas. sounds like a pressure plate/clutch issue. Let us know when you figure out what the problem is.
Will do
Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2851629

Pick a thread.

Quick Reply: Can shift gears at a stop with out pressing the clutch & car does not move.