Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

buying "S2000 vs S2000 CR"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying "S2000 vs S2000 CR"

To my Knowledge, the only mechanical difference between the regular s2000 and the Club Racing is the suspension.

Would I be loosing out on anything if I buy a CR vs a regular s2000 ?

Any complications with modes? Pros/Cons...

I would really appreciate your feedback.

I searched around and I couldn't find any info.

I'm trying to avoid running into the Prelude SH scenario, where the ATTS is a pain when it comes modifying the car.

Thank you
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying "S2000 vs S2000 CR"

There are more differences than just the suspension.

The chassis is stiffer.

The car is lighter thanks to the absence of a softtop.

The stock tires are sticker.

The aero parts make the car cut through the air better and give it better downforce.

You can buy it without A/C or a radio if you'd like additional weight savings.

The interior is totally different, including the material on the seats that hold you in place better.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things, but that's pretty much the jist of it.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are many differences.

CR
-ap1 steering ratio (May be wrong, but i'm sure it's different from the ap2)
-different spring rates
-no soft top
-a little lighter
-optional a/c
-optional stereo

Those are the ones i think of off the top

Edit: Missed the post above me, he pretty much said it
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u r correct on the steering dots
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why do i feel like we go through this at least once a month with someone? the search button is not a novelty...

pretty much what everyone said, with that said however, you can get an AP1 and all the money you save from not getting a CR, you can buy parts to make it perform just as well, if not better and you'll save a ton of money because i know CR's around here are still in the 27k-29k range which i think is ridiculous....i think if they would have put the F20c in it and just retooled it(i.e. fix the banjo issues, retainer issues and used the same concept with the ECU tuning they did with the AP2's) it would have been a lot more appealing to me...plus, i absolutely hate DBW, but thats a personal preference
Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
why do i feel like we go through this at least once a month with someone? the search button is not a novelty...

pretty much what everyone said, with that said however, you can get an AP1 and all the money you save from not getting a CR, you can buy parts to make it perform just as well, if not better and you'll save a ton of money because i know CR's around here are still in the 27k-29k range which i think is ridiculous....i think if they would have put the F20c in it and just retooled it(i.e. fix the banjo issues, retainer issues and used the same concept with the ECU tuning they did with the AP2's) it would have been a lot more appealing to me...plus, i absolutely hate DBW, but thats a personal preference
Personal preference? How bout safety issue. Toyota has finally admitted that the issues with the Prius running state troopers into others on the road due to uncontrollable acceleration is due to the throttle pedal sensor going bad.

They always said...ever since this DBW thing started, that if anything in the system were to malfunction that it would simply shut down...BUT, what happens if it malfunctions and goes WIDE OPEN?!?!?!?!?!?!? You get a Prius...or any other car that has DBW and has an unfortunate malfunction.

I think that **** is dangerous and shouldn't be used on anything other than race cars. /rant
Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With that said, OP, get what you want!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ntensehonda
There are more differences than just the suspension.

The chassis is stiffer.

The car is lighter thanks to the absence of a softtop.

The stock tires are sticker.

The aero parts make the car cut through the air better and give it better downforce.

You can buy it without A/C or a radio if you'd like additional weight savings.

The interior is totally different, including the material on the seats that hold you in place better.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things, but that's pretty much the jist of it.
you mean by suspension components or do you mean the actual frame?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The chassis itself. It has a stiffener where the soft top used to be.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

technically it doesnt have a chasis
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ap1 all day!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jabuhanna
To my Knowledge, the only mechanical difference between the regular s2000 and the Club Racing is the suspension.

Would I be loosing out on anything if I buy a CR vs a regular s2000 ?

Any complications with modes? Pros/Cons...

I would really appreciate your feedback.

I searched around and I couldn't find any info.

I'm trying to avoid running into the Prelude SH scenario, where the ATTS is a pain when it comes modifying the car.

Thank you
From Wikipedia:

The 2008 model year marked the first time the S2000 was offered in more than one trim level in the United States.[9] In addition to the base model, Honda offered a more track-oriented version of the S2000, distinguished by reduced weight, fewer amenities, and a claimed increase in performance. The S2000 Club Racer made its world debut at the New York International Auto Show on 4 April 2007.[10] Changes for the CR included a lower ratio steering rack, stiffer suspension and all-new Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires, widened at the rear from 245/40R-17 to 255/40R-17. A revised body kit, composed of a redesigned front lip, rear bumper, and a large spoiler, were wind-tunnel tested and claimed to reduce the overall coefficient of lift by 70-80 %. The power folding soft top was removed and replaced with additional chassis bracing topped off with a tonneau cover, while the hard top, optional on other models, became a standard feature on the CR. Finally, in an effort to reduce weight and lower the center of gravity, the spare tire was omitted and air conditioning and stereo were offered only as options. Net weight savings without the additional hardtop was 90 pounds (41 kg) relative to the standard model. The engine in the S2000 CR was unchanged from the standard trim.[11][12]

The 2008 Honda S2000 CR became available in the fall of 2007, with a base price of $36,300. Production volume of less than 2,000 units was expected. Redesigned five-spoke wheels were standard on all S2000s, with bright silver on the base model wheels and a gunmetal color on the CR wheels. All CR models were only available with yellow and black cloth interior. Honda continued both trim levels of S2000 unchanged for the 2009 model year. The price was increased to US$34,695 for the base trim and US$36,695 for the CR trim.

PD: 2 "It Wasn't Me", 0 posts left, 11 days 2 Go.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would rather have a CR over my ap1 any day homie. It is a collectors car and will prob hold it's value pretty well against a regular s2000. I don't track or beat on my s2000 anyways so performance isn't a huge deal to me. I just like ballin' It would have to be a white CR btw, or maybe that crazy *** blue but i would have to get the top painted to match either way. Black tops look silly to me unless they are on a black car. I dig the yellow seats and big goofy lip & wing for some reason
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ntensehonda
Personal preference? How bout safety issue. Toyota has finally admitted that the issues with the Prius running state troopers into others on the road due to uncontrollable acceleration is due to the throttle pedal sensor going bad.

They always said...ever since this DBW thing started, that if anything in the system were to malfunction that it would simply shut down...BUT, what happens if it malfunctions and goes WIDE OPEN?!?!?!?!?!?!? You get a Prius...or any other car that has DBW and has an unfortunate malfunction.

I think that **** is dangerous and shouldn't be used on anything other than race cars. /rant
For some reason that cop didn't know [how?] to shift into neutral. If those cars are so messed up the automatic transmissions won't go into neutral that's a whole different story. But a manual tranny car getting stuck at WOT? No problem.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think it all bout the price different if it worth it.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ excellent advice.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Botched thread poll

Originally Posted by 4doorH22
For some reason that cop didn't know [how?] to shift into neutral. If those cars are so messed up the automatic transmissions won't go into neutral that's a whole different story. But a manual tranny car getting stuck at WOT? No problem.
Exactly, I never understood why the drivers didn't just shift into nuetral OR turn off the ignition.

Then I remembered that these were prius drivers we were talking about, the biggest idiots I ever see on the road who seem to have no common sense or driving educate.

They are passengers with a steering wheel.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

technically it doesnt have a chasis
It does have a chassis....technically it doesn't have a frame.

Originally Posted by dagle
you mean by suspension components or do you mean the actual frame?
And yes, thanks to extra supports that the standard model S2000 doesn't have the chassis is stiffer than the standard model S2000.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with the regular and add the hardtop later if you have money
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x 2.

i think CR's look like **** too. i don't like the wing/wheels/lips. you can get a nice ap1 or early ap2 for a fraction of the cost and be much better off.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM
GDD 1%

The front bumper and wing on the CR are hideous to me, along with the BLACK Hardtop. I'm completely satisfied with my 04.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rtzx9r
The front bumper and wing on the CR are hideous to me, along with the BLACK Hardtop. I'm completely satisfied with my 04.
i dont think you understand how different the car is. its not just a facial uplift. and if you had one you'd probably say otherwise. when tested on tsukuba the car ran nearly 2seconds faster than a standard s2k...and that speaks a lot when the upgrades done to the cr did not include the engine.

plus its a cr. im sure everybody and their moms would choose an integra type r over a gsr any day. its the same concept to me. most people hate because they cant afford one...it is what it is. if you've driven a cr the comparison to the standard model is very apparent.

but yes, like many have said. you'll still be very happy with a standard s2k with minor upgrades. all s2000s are fun and great cars getting rarer and rarer every year.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to keep the car stock and don't use it for a daily driver... I think the CR is the way to go.

If it's a daily driver or you're looking to modify it... I'd take the standard s2000.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BIGBLOCKEK
Exactly, I never understood why the drivers didn't just shift into nuetral OR turn off the ignition.

Then I remembered that these were prius drivers we were talking about, the biggest idiots I ever see on the road who seem to have no common sense or driving educate.

They are passengers with a steering wheel.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

more bullshit threads ?

Quick Reply: buying "S2000 vs S2000 CR"