Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Apexi N1 smog legal in CA?

Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Apexi N1 smog legal in CA?

I am getting some mixed reviews here.

anyone have that exhaust/catback that passed smog/visual inspection?

does it carry a CARB EO number? i need it to pass smog and i don't want a fix it ticket.

See if you guy could help me out
Old 10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Apexi N1 smog legal in CA? (iam7head)

who cares find a place with the hookups haha.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exhaust does not violate any carb laws. you'll have no problems as long as you have your cat on.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (silver j)

just dont be vtaking by cops and you wont have any trouble
Old 10-03-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: (trejap1)

okay. here's the rundown.

1) Any aftermarket exhaust that is put on or being replaced is technically legal IF, the exhaust is under 95db in sound. Sounds good Right? Wrong. Majority of all exhausts on the market whether name brand or not are over 95 dbs there for making it illegal for the state of california. Majority of high end companies such as greddy, comptech etc etc is Legal because they dump so much money into the research and development it to make it legit, while attaining performance to it.

2)The APEXi does not carry a CARB EO# what so ever. Pick up a dB digital reading at radio shack or something and stand a couple feet away and let someone rev your car. If its under 95db, you should be straight. But knowing the APEXi N1 Catback, it will well exceed over 95db IMO. According to cops, if you run any type of aftermarket exhausts, without a CARB # its illegal. Bull. Sound tells all. Theres nothing wrong with running a replacement exhaust if it's within sound.

3)Don't be confused though. Cops and State Referee's are two differn't people.
If you get caught by a cop and he sends you to the State Referree, Your fuked. The REFEREE WILLL NOT PASS YO UNLESS YOU HAVE CARB #'s regardless of sound.

4)When getting the car smoggged, depending on the smog tech, if you have your catalyic converter on, you should be straight even with the catback exhaust. It your running a cat-delete pipe/ test pipe. You Will not pass.

cops aren't your problems. State Referree's are.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Apexi N1 smog legal in CA? (LAS2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LAS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who cares find a place with the hookups haha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i did that too many time, i used to have a turbo'ed honda with no cat, 2.5 inch muffler

damn, forget it, i'll just stick to my old pipe

THANKS ALL
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OBSeRiouSo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBSeRiouSo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay. here's the rundown.

1) Any aftermarket exhaust that is put on or being replaced is technically legal IF, the exhaust is under 95db in sound. Sounds good Right? Wrong. Majority of all exhausts on the market whether name brand or not are over 95 dbs there for making it illegal for the state of california. Majority of high end companies such as greddy, comptech etc etc is Legal because they dump so much money into the research and development it to make it legit, while attaining performance to it.

2)The APEXi does not carry a CARB EO# what so ever. Pick up a dB digital reading at radio shack or something and stand a couple feet away and let someone rev your car. If its under 95db, you should be straight. But knowing the APEXi N1 Catback, it will well exceed over 95db IMO. According to cops, if you run any type of aftermarket exhausts, without a CARB # its illegal. Bull. Sound tells all. Theres nothing wrong with running a replacement exhaust if it's within sound.

3)Don't be confused though. Cops and State Referee's are two differn't people.
If you get caught by a cop and he sends you to the State Referree, Your fuked. The REFEREE WILLL NOT PASS YO UNLESS YOU HAVE CARB #'s regardless of sound.

4)When getting the car smoggged, depending on the smog tech, if you have your catalyic converter on, you should be straight even with the catback exhaust. It your running a cat-delete pipe/ test pipe. You Will not pass.

cops aren't your problems. State Referree's are.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ref's can't do anything to you.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/26.pdf
chp can't do anything to you.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/27.pdf

just keep your silencer in and your cat on and you're golden
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (silver j)

wow. Now i just feel silly. haha

but thats weird though. When i had my del sol, i got caught by a cop, gave me a ref ticket for my greddy catback, went to the red, and they wouldn't even test my darn car because of the exhaust. I need to print out this paper. haha THANK YOU!!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they dont make you do db testing when you get smog checked do you? im sure my spoon wouldn't pass even with silencer.

i haven't had to get smog'd yet.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: (LAS2K)

They shouldn't. When i went to get smogged with my del sol, i still had my greddy cat back on and he still tested. Just as long as you still have your catalyic converter on you should be straight

although, i know i won't pass emissions with my s2 though because of the T1R 70 Full Headerback. hahah
Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a ref ticket for turbo on my civic.
the guy asked me wut i did, i only said "i took off all non-carb stuff and put on carb legal stuff. i have aem intake, DC header, and catback (i have tsudo knockoff n-1), but the cat is stock".

He said fine, and it passed. I even had the emanage harness (emanage disconnected) on the ECU (had labels with injectors, MAP sensor, etc).
they even checked the ECU and they still passed it.

Also, they DIDN'T do db testing, altho i did go in with the silencer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by apexi homepage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> All A'PEX exhaust systems comply with applicable emission laws since they neither modify nor relocate the required factory emission control devices; they are considered "direct replacement" parts. Such parts do not require a CARB Executive Order (EO) since they are not "add on" or "modified" parts. A'PEX exhaust systems are "functionally identical" to the OEM parts during emission tests. Sound levels are tested on stock vehicles before the product release to ensure compliance with the 95dB limit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by D16Y8-JDMYO at 2:39 PM 10/7/2006
Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (D16Y8-JDMYO)

from my experiences, db testing is done if you get cited for excessive exhuast noise.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Apexi N1 smog legal in CA? (LAS2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LAS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who cares find a place with the hookups haha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Best bet...... search for "smog" here on h-t......
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Apexi N1 smog legal in CA? (hazw8st)

if ur only worried about visual, just goto the right place. i went to a "test only" smog (not referee) center for the first time, popped the hood, asked them if this intake (ebay no name) will pass, "yes", ok gg!
they even passed me with a nitrous nozzle in the tube, quote "is this nitrogen?"
A Z N hookup ftw.

Modified by D16Y8-JDMYO at 3:47 PM 10/13/2006
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 PM

I agree.... With you on the most part,but I have to say when I got reffed for my civic gsr motor and everything,the ref didn't care about my exhaust,he just checked if I had carb numbers on my intake,headers,nd see if it passed emisions he was real cool =]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Apexi N1 smog legal in CA? (iam7head)

thanx for the info bout the exhaust being legal or not....i needa print those papers out look like they can be useful!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBSeRiouSo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3)Don't be confused though. Cops and State Referee's are two differn't people.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

NEGITIVE.......

in fact ANY exhaust can be made legal... the BAR ref can BAR CERT any exhaust system, just like BAR cert swaps they will read teh DB reading and you get the same lil sticker as a bar'd motor just for your exhaust.
and this is not something i read i have SEEN IT....

now for the OP. as long as the car its self is stock with cat and all... take it to a lil hole in the way place.... as long as everything else is there they wont really trip off the exhaust.
i take all my "STOCK" cars by this place and i just walk off and with exhaust and everything and pass...