Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Think We've Lost Another One

Old 02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think We've Lost Another One

Hey all,

It sucks that I'm having to write this, but on the 28th my BB6 sustained a crash that is almost certainly a total-loss. My friend was driving me home from a party on the 28th and came into a roundabout a little too hot and hit a couple of fences not to mention hitting a curb. Fresh from a recent motor rebuild after 9 months off the road, it seems like the Prelude curse hit way too hard and this particular situation is too much to handle after having gone through all that. The rebuilt a4 had less than 2k on it...

Now that I have your pity, I thought I should consult you guys about how to handle the insurance adjuster. The car is fully covered and I was not responsible for the accident (riding passenger). I'm specifically wondering what kinds of things can I do/say to help them go easier on their assessment/estimates. I would love to repair the car, as my buddy is financially prepared concerning this situation and it is entirely possible, but only as long as the car walks away without a salvage title. I would much appreciate anyone else who's had experiences with insurance adjusters chime in. Some pics...

What it was...

What it is...

As you can see, front suspension is most certainly toast and all 4 wheels have fragmented. In addition, both airbags went off and it also suffered moderate cosmetic damage. However, the whole driveline seems to have made it relatively unscathed, luckily. Any input you guys can give me would be genuinely most appreciated. Thanks errone
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Think We've Lost Another One

man sorry to hear that bro but when u talk to the insurance company dont use words like i dont kno or it came outta no where they analyze any words like that and say its ur fault so be careful in choosing your words as far as salvage it depends on the statw laws and insurance company hopefully they fix her shes a beauty
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa. The car can be repair but it's going to cost some mulas. You're looking at around 5g plus of repairs.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My condolences!!!

Was it your fault? If not, life is going to be a hell of alot easier for you.

I usually just be a comple beeotch to insurance ppl and 9 times out of 10, get my way They tried to put me in a friggin PT Cruiser as my rental after my recent accident, and after a few cuss words and law suit threats, they were nice enough to put me in a G35... lol
Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trick_muffin
My condolences!!!

I usually just be a comple beeotch to insurance ppl and 9 times out of 10, get my way They tried to put me in a friggin PT Cruiser as my rental after my recent accident, and after a few cuss words and law suit threats, they were nice enough to put me in a G35... lol
haha. maybe my friend should have done that. when he got rear ended in his brand new F-250 just a couple months ago, they gave him a PT cruiser for a loaner/rental.

OP, i know in PA if the air bags go off for any reason at all its declared a total loss.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM

It'll buff right out.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by trick_muffin
My condolences!!!

this post makes me laugh. i'm not calling you a liar by any means but do you really think that an insurance company gives a **** if you threaten suit on them? you could be an extremely prominent person with a ton of money and lawyers and they could care less about your threats. i have a decent job for a really large insurance company and deal with these issues on a daily basis. the adjuster/claim rep likely put you in a G35 to make you happy, true, as it only makes things easier in the long run if everyone is happy. ins. co's want to settle claims and want to pay what they owe: nothing more, nothing less; and they want everyone to be happy. but they dont give a **** if you cuss and throw a fit.

Originally Posted by mllude
man sorry to hear that bro but when u talk to the insurance company dont use words like i dont kno or it came outta no where they analyze any words like that and say its ur fault so be careful in choosing your words as far as salvage it depends on the statw laws and insurance company hopefully they fix her shes a beauty
this is better advise. be honest and stick to the facts. the adjuster will be more willing to work with you and cut you some slack if you're truthful and easy to deal with yourself.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man sorry to hear about the lude. The driveline still looks in good shape though.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope things turn out good for you man. It sucks that you're prelude seems to be cursed with bad luck, I kinda know how it is. A month after I got my Prelude I dropped the timing belt because the guy that sold me the car was an idiot and didn't torque anything down after changing it, so i decided to put in an h22a. While it was at the shop, it was one of several cars at the shop that got broken into/vandalized, and had by far the worst damage out of all the cars. Few weeks after that, it got nailed by a hailstorm. So now its been sitting at the body shop waiting to get fixed up from about $5000 of damage to it. Hope the future is better for both of our cars
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year & mileage was it? As long as you don't have frame damage, that looks salvageable. See if you can be there with the adjuster and see what he thinks and talk with him about it. Honestly, the insurance company wants to spend the least amount of money they can. They'd rather pay $5k to get it fixed than $10k to you for a total loss.