Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why does my car feel MUCH SLOWER after installing my AEM CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm my objective is to keep the car in vtec most of the time anyway on an auto-x course so an AEM isn't a bad thing. Are you trying to stay in D-stock but have better aspiration that's CHEEEEEEEATING

j/p.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm my objective is to keep the car in vtec most of the time anyway on an auto-x course so an AEM isn't a bad thing. Are you trying to stay in D-stock but have better aspiration that's CHEEEEEEEATING

j/p.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I am not sure if you have ever autoXed but most of the courses I have ran will not allow much time to be in VTEC. Bottom-end torque has the advantage.

Besides, I can't keep it in VTEC if I don't even have VTEC. I have a 92 Si. And yes, I am trying to stay in G stock
Old 08-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (AndyD)

i guess i'm trying to carry enough speed through a turn to keep the revs up in 2nd, let's say above 4K rpm. The only point where i curse the no-low-end problem is if i overbreak or shift too early and end up way out of my powerband, but that's my fault, not my car's

i agree i could go for some low end torque, but i figure i can fix that with the right line...and some type S pistons

Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (bad-monkey)

nick m, i'd have to disagree with you considering a cai on any honda will have a lengthy pipe. there is no way around it. so yes, a 3 inch diameter all the way through intake will hurt throttle response a bit. this is what 5th gen.'s and itr guys are experiencing. people who have used the iceman cai's that taper towards the tb have experienced less. and 4th gen. h22a owners with 2.75inch piping have experienced less.

i also used to own an h22a accord about 3-4 years ago. 96 sedan with 99h22a4 running a 96 obd2 ecu. eventually went custom turbo but tried out a type s intake bought from jacques on po.com, stock intake with resonator removed, akimoto underhood intake, aem underhood intake, aem accord cai, aem prelude 5th gen. cai. i went through a number of intake set-ups when no information was available for swapped accords. yes, the diameter of piping does make a difference. eventually settled for a 2.75inch no limit cai (aem replica).

i also used to run my old 93 vtec with the 2.75 inch cai and experienced better throttle response compared to the 3inch.

i'd get the iceman's if i had to do it all over again.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bgod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bgod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nick m, i'd have to disagree with you considering a cai on any honda will have a lengthy pipe. there is no way around it. so yes, a 3 inch diameter all the way through intake will hurt throttle response a bit. this is what 5th gen.'s and itr guys are experiencing. people who have used the iceman cai's that taper towards the tb have experienced less. and 4th gen. h22a owners with 2.75inch piping have experienced less.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think we agree...if the piping diameter is 3" and its a CAI the throttle response will probably suffer unless the engine really needs the extra air flow UNLESSlike in the picture I posted, the bends are removed and the air is less restricted. If the intake is shorter, like a J's Racing and is very large (probably 5-6" wide and tapers to the TB) then the throttle response is great, but if you had a 5" intake all the way into the fender it would be awful, i think we agree

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also used to own an h22a accord about 3-4 years ago. 96 sedan with 99h22a4 running a 96 obd2 ecu. eventually went custom turbo but tried out a type s intake bought from jacques on po.com, stock intake with resonator removed, akimoto underhood intake, aem underhood intake, aem accord cai, aem prelude 5th gen. cai. i went through a number of intake set-ups when no information was available for swapped accords. yes, the diameter of piping does make a difference. eventually settled for a 2.75inch no limit cai (aem replica).</TD></TR></TABLE>

i remember your accord from way back when, SHO and HS, you also used to go to spring valley
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Why does my car feel MUCH SLOWER after installing my AEM CAI...

I just put a CAI on my 99 accord lx and it makes the car sound a whole lot better but definetly noticeably slower, it was out of a prelude in a junkyard though so I'm only out 80$
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Why does my car feel MUCH SLOWER after installing my AEM CAI...

You have to reset the ECU for it to relearn the new setup. And please don't bump 10 year old threads, just start a new one.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
You have to reset the ECU for it to relearn the new setup. And please don't bump 10 year old threads, just start a new one.
Sorry man, new user can't make new threads yet, didn't realize this was so old