Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

What batteries do you guys recommend?

Old 04-24-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What batteries do you guys recommend?

So, i'm having problems with very possibly my battery. I'm going to buy a new one and i would like to get one a little smaller than the norm. Can i get some suggestions on what to look for. All i know of is Optima, but i don't know which color is the best and i don't know if people like their batteries. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (H23ludedude)

optima yellow top is what i recommend
Old 04-24-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (GudeH23a)

yellow or red.... depends on what you like better.... color wise, both great batteries
Old 04-24-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (93turbolude)

whats the difference?

i don't have a system, in case that matters.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:09 AM

the different colors of optimas are for different cold cranking amps, etc. i have the red one thats all you'll need but again it comes down to preference of colors red= automotive, yellow=slightly better automotive( i think ), blue=deep cycle marine batt. but can be used in cars. in my opinion optima is the way to go.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (93preludevtec)

14 lbs, will work fine in spring-fall.. Slow in cold winter conditions.. South of VA, this is great!

Oh yea, 70$
Old 04-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (Honda318dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda318dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
14 lbs, will work fine in spring-fall.. Slow in cold winter conditions.. South of VA, this is great!

Oh yea, 70$</TD></TR></TABLE>
i've got one of those, they rock
Old 04-24-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (Boosted97Lude)

optima
Old 04-24-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (Prelude Vtec 23)

it does matter.

You need to get Optima RED TOP Starter Application battery for your lude. DO NOT get the yellow top, because that is a deep cycler battery. It's not a preference of color, they are for different applications.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda318dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh yea, 70$</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the battery brand would be?

I figured it out... Hawker Genesis...

Modified by kb58 at 9:11 PM 4/24/2003
Old 04-24-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (visualvb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by visualvb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it does matter.

You need to get Optima RED TOP Starter Application battery for your lude. DO NOT get the yellow top, because that is a deep cycler battery. It's not a preference of color, they are for different applications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they are different cca's..... (cold cranking amps) but if you must know it doesn;t make a difference...... i worked at a car audio shop for 3 years and many people came in and bought both red and yellow top batteries.... the fact is, the battery really isn't all that important, you want a good alternator such as one from ohio... or if you're lucky and good with a welding machine you can use one from a ambulance..... but thats a lil extreme..... thats for those guys pushing 8 12's or something ridiculous.... next you want good wiring..... the lower the guage the better.... and finally a capacitor..... this will prevent that annoying headlight dimming you see in cars with huge stereos without a good alternator.... much cheaper than buying a ohio generator also.... back to the battery... it doesn't matter...... but if you are running a mild to mid SPL (under 120 db's) stick with the red top...... the yellow will put too much stress on the voltage regulator, since you aren't drawing that much power, but getting alot extra from the battery....... so basically buy the red top....... its cheaper anyway
Old 04-24-2003, 03:22 PM

red top cheap ? i bought a 195amp redtop for $200
Old 04-24-2003, 03:28 PM

Im still using my oem honda battery, I have a 10'' Audiobahn AW1000X and a Kenwood 600 watt amp. I haven't had any problems with the honda battery, with my system all the way up the headlights dont dim, and I have pullies which decrease the life of a battery. It might be better to get the $70 batt everyone is recommending, the dealer will charge around 60 i think.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by visualvb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">red top cheap ? i bought a 195amp redtop for $200</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you go......we had them for 100 bucks and i thought that was expensive
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93turbolude

they are different cca's..... (cold cranking amps) but if you must know it doesn;t make a difference...... i worked at a car audio shop for 3 years and many people came in and bought both red and yellow top batteries.... the fact is, the battery really isn't all that important, you want a good alternator such as one from ohio... or if you're lucky and good with a welding machine you can use one from a ambulance..... but thats a lil extreme..... thats for those guys pushing 8 12's or something ridiculous.... next you want good wiring..... the lower the guage the better.... and finally a capacitor..... this will prevent that annoying headlight dimming you see in cars with huge stereos without a good alternator.... much cheaper than buying a ohio generator also.... back to the battery... it doesn't matter...... but if you are running a mild to mid SPL (under 120 db's) stick with the red top...... the yellow will put too much stress on the voltage regulator, since you aren't drawing that much power, but getting alot extra from the battery....... so basically buy the red top....... its cheaper anyway
ACTUALLY,

The Red tops are for automotive applications, they are some of the best batteries you can get for your car. The Yellow tops are Deep Cycle, made for other applications. What this means is...That in order to fully charge it, you need to fully decharge it before recharging. Your vehicle doesn't do this when you drive or use the battery..and the battery will go bad quicker. Since your car is using an alternator to constantly charge the battery, it will develop a memory for that short use cycle and will eventually die on you. It is a different CCA than the Red Top, but the Red Top is the one you want.

If you have any disputes to this, then please contact my Interstate Battery Rep named Roscoe who delivered 3 Red Tops and 2 Yellow Tops to my store today.

-Jon

And just to toss this in here...Taken directly from the Optima Battery website:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does deep cycle mean?
Deep cycle means using the battery in an application that will typically discharge 60% to 70% or more of the batter y capacity. An automotive battery is an SLI (starting, lighting, ignition) battery. It's plates are designed to deliver maximum power for a short duration. Starting a car typically discharges an SLI battery only 1% to 3%. When an SLI battery is used in a deep cycle application, or in a vehicle with heavy accessory loads, the battery life will be shortened proportionally to how deeply it is cycled on a regular basis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the Yellow Top can be used as an auxilery battery for car audio, but should not be used as the primary battery, as it gets recharged too quickly. Cops/Firetrucks also use Yellow top batteries because they sit on scenes for extended periods of time w/ their lights on therefore creating a deep or "heavy" cycle situation, and in that case the yellow top is required.

Please do not give misleading information if you are going to try to help someone.

Thanks again,

-Jon

Modified by Unboosted PeloTudo at 12:22 AM 4/25/2003
Old 04-24-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (Unboosted PeloTudo)

how mcuh does the Optima RED TOP weigh and how long does it last? are there any side effects i need to know about? and one last thing, how much and where? thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (sslude)

It weights: 37.9lbs
They say they last up to 2x longer than standard batteries.

check out http://www.optimabatteries.com to find places that sell them. Any place that sells Interstate Batteries can get them, as they are the same company. My shop sells them, but I doubt that does u any good

-Jon
Old 04-24-2003, 08:35 PM

Default Re: What batteries do you guys recommend? (Unboosted PeloTudo)

ok....... i just got schooled.....its cool...... i've just never had a problem with a red top or a yellow top in either car..... i was just going off what i had experienced in working at my old shop...... we did use a lot of yellow tops in show cars..... since a lot of the guys didn't want a isolater.... but wanted to leave TV's etc on in the car while at shows..... thats all..... but yeah..... red top all the way
Old 04-24-2003, 09:20 PM

red top owns joo all.. haha
Old 04-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand, why would you pay 200$ for a redtop, when you can get one, that starts your car, for less than half as much, at half the weight.. Damn Ricers, ashamed of...
Old 04-25-2003, 01:58 AM

im not a ricer .. i trusted my damn mechanic .. jeez. that hurt corey
Old 04-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Banned

Nah, can't be a ricer. A ricer only installs stuff that's visible while driving. You know, big tail pipe, big prominent tach, or my favorite, the fire extinguisher *out of reach* on the passenger A-pillar...
Old 04-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by visualvb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not a ricer .. i trusted my damn mechanic .. jeez. that hurt corey </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, that comment, was no way directed to you That and Corey had a few and a last night, so felt like ventin...
Old 04-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got another redtop cause how long they last. my last one made it 5 years of hardcore abuse. also they are sealed so it wont leak no matter how you lay it, great for people w/their battery in the trunk, like me.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:32 PM

http://www.gotbatteries.com/Pr...-2007

How long (yrs) will this battery last, given normal driving?

Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What batteries do you guys recommend?