Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

wats better individual throttle body's or upgraded intake manifold w/big thrttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 wats better individual throttle body's or upgraded intake manifold w/big thrttle body

I just bought another 93 prelude with a h22a1 engine, I hav some money to throw into it and was wondering wat would be better? Individual throttle bodies or an upgraded intake manifold with a bigger throttle body? If individual throttle body wat else would I need to get to get it running right besides a tune up for the car? ok with the 3 first replies i actually hav dc sport headers and a full skunk2 exhaust.

Last edited by BLampi; 06-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wats better individual throttle body's or upgraded intake manifold w/big thrttle

uhhh...from your post...dont even think about itbs. They are way too much for your stock motor and you don't need a "tune up" to run these. You need a standalone to tune the motor on a dyno. Dont even bother with the intake manifold and TB. Start with basic bolt ons and especially a good header. Don't waste your money on cheap obx, megan racing headers.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wats better individual throttle body's or upgraded intake manifold w/big thrttle

For your current setup, both would be overkill. In order to take advantage of either setup you need to have some supporting mods, maybe the most crucial would be cams. Upgrading the exhaust would also be very beneficial because you're going to want to extract the extra A/F your cramming into you cylinders as efficiently as possible.

You also have to consider what type of effect you want to have from your engine. Each setup is going to give something different. You can experiment a lot with custom intake manifolds and throttle body sizing to achieve different engine tuning. From increasing throttle response, to shifting power and torque curves. The more time and money you put into it, the better the effects.

Now, since it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with the subject matter, I would do some research and start off with some more accessible modifications.

As said before, to tune ITBs you're better off having a standalone, access to a dyno, and you're going to want supporting mods. The effects of ITBs are very different to an upgraded intake manifold. ITBs are generally used for increased throttle response. You can often expect to take a dip in overall power when compared to a comparable upgraded intake manifold. If the type of driving you do benefits more from throttle response then it's an acceptable trade-off.

I guess if you want a direct answer, for your situation an upgraded intake manifold and throttle body would be better. I don't think you'll notice too much of an improvement because you don't (I'm assuming because you haven't posted otherwise) have the supporting upgrades to optimize the use of them. If that's true, you may even see a loss in power and response. I say, put your money into something a little more straight forward.

I, personally, would overhaul the suspension first. Get it to handle great and upgrade the bushings, struts/springs, sway bars, etc. Make the car fun to drive and then turn your focus to the engine/drivetrain. By tuning the suspension you may discover the weak areas of your power output, or find that you like it where it's at.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're wanting to increase power, I would start with header/exhaust.

You'll have to decide wHat (see the H?) brand to choose.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Trial User

If you wanna really go big, get the individual throttle body. But like the previous replies said your gonna have to get the ECU and cams and all that other stuff.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What exactly do you mean by going big?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GTSRolla34
For your current setup, both would be overkill. In order to take advantage of either setup you need to have some supporting mods, maybe the most crucial would be cams. Upgrading the exhaust would also be very beneficial because you're going to want to extract the extra A/F your cramming into you cylinders as efficiently as possible.

You also have to consider what type of effect you want to have from your engine. Each setup is going to give something different. You can experiment a lot with custom intake manifolds and throttle body sizing to achieve different engine tuning. From increasing throttle response, to shifting power and torque curves. The more time and money you put into it, the better the effects.

Now, since it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with the subject matter, I would do some research and start off with some more accessible modifications.

As said before, to tune ITBs you're better off having a standalone, access to a dyno, and you're going to want supporting mods. The effects of ITBs are very different to an upgraded intake manifold. ITBs are generally used for increased throttle response. You can often expect to take a dip in overall power when compared to a comparable upgraded intake manifold. If the type of driving you do benefits more from throttle response then it's an acceptable trade-off.

I guess if you want a direct answer, for your situation an upgraded intake manifold and throttle body would be better. I don't think you'll notice too much of an improvement because you don't (I'm assuming because you haven't posted otherwise) have the supporting upgrades to optimize the use of them. If that's true, you may even see a loss in power and response. I say, put your money into something a little more straight forward.

I, personally, would overhaul the suspension first. Get it to handle great and upgrade the bushings, struts/springs, sway bars, etc. Make the car fun to drive and then turn your focus to the engine/drivetrain. By tuning the suspension you may discover the weak areas of your power output, or find that you like it where it's at.
+1 DUDE... well said

I think a suspension overhaul should always go before power upgrades. I just bought an EG with 130k on it... and as tempting as it is to throw money into things that make the car louder/faster, I know my original shocks are shot, bushings are shot, etc. A master bushing kit for example, (in the neighborhood of $200-250) will make your car drive like it was brand new. I swear, a good bushing kit is one of the best upgrades for your money... it makes SUCH a big difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda owns me

2 year old thread ...