Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

(video) H22A swap barely idles when cold and bogs/bucks when throttled (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (video) H22A swap barely idles when cold and bogs/bucks when throttled (video)

This is odd, i'm usually the one with all the answers lol oh well. i figure someone has to have run into this kind of problem before and hopefully has a helpful answer!

I just bought this 1992 prelude Si from a friend who installed this 97 h22a he bought from a wrecked older accord. he never could quite get it running right and i found/repaired several reasons why (o2 sensor wasn't plugged in, h23 plug wires, p28 hondata ecu tuned for a f20b apparently) the h22a has a skunk2 pro series intake manifold and 68mm throttle body. this video will explain more

my red car in the video already has a running h22a swap (bad rings though) so i've been borrowing bits off of it for diagnostic purposes.

if you try to hold the throttle at any rpm between 1500-2500k the motor will just buck back and forth. not really surging like revvvvv, uhh, revvvvv, uhh, but bucking like rev, rev, rev, rev and the frequency increases as you open the throttle till you get to about 2.5-3k rpm then the rpms surge all the way to like 5000rpm.

tried two p13's and a p14 - same results.
tried 2 map sensors
set the TPS sensor to spec
ate some cheez-its
set ignition timing with my timing light
made sure the wires are installed properly (FO:1342)
tested dizzy and coil on the red car - no problems
checked all important connections - everything is plugged in
tried the resistor box from my red car

why would it buck like that when a little air is let into the manifold. and when the throttle is not even a qtr of the way open it surges all the way up to about 5000rpm?

i suppose my next step will be trying the fuel rail and injectors from my red car. and checking the fuel pressure.

in the meantime, anyone have any insight into this issue?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (video) H22A swap barely idles when cold and bogs/bucks when throttled (video)

Can't watch the video at work, but from what you are describing, it sounds like the cam timing may be off. I would pull the valve cover and line it up to TDC, and see how it looks.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (video) H22A swap barely idles when cold and bogs/bucks when throttled (video)

you know, i was thinking about that... you never know what people have done to these things :/
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now ive replaced the fuel injectors and fuel rail with the ones from my red car, problem persists...

while i was in there i noticed there is a hondata gasket in there. that's cool except someone didnt remove the oem gasket first. the oem gasket was completely in tact and testing with propane and brake cleaner told me there were no vacuum leaks to begin with.

im in the process of removing the oem gasket (which happens to be sub-atomically fused to the head.... fml) because it needs to be done anyways.

i pulled the engine wire harness so i could unwrap and re-route/tuck it and maybe find a bad wire in the process. the ECT sensor (2 pin below the coil) plug just fell off the harness so thats probably part of the problem. i'll have to get back to work on it after work and let you all know what i found (unlike all the dead threads with no final answers i've come across)
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I would do is use an obd1 p13 and buy an obd1 intake manifold that actually has an iacv and ob1 injectors and go from there.

You can start with a compression test to see if that engine is any good or not.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

iacv need to be install had same issue
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Answer this question. Check the ohms on the injectors from your red car. How many ohms are they ?

Your '92 has a resistor box which means you need to be using low impedance h22 injectors. I'm confident this is your issue.

You should check your ecu for possible damage.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figured it out! sadly... it was something so simple.... in all my searching i never found anything that said you must have an iacv plugged in.... this car didnt have one when i got it and i never knew the ecu would go limp if it wasnt plugged in. i just have it plugged in, no tubes hooked up and the engine runs properly now.... lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Let this be a lesson to everyone that reads this to always check for codes before posting to ask for help.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, there was a post i made earlier that got lost forever when i went to reply and it took me to the login page. back button wouldnt bring all that i had written back and i was pretty pissed. that post was pretty long and comprehensive. i believe that was the post where i explained that i have been checking codes and trying multiple ECU's the whole time. i was getting an IACV code but i assumed it would be similar to a code 12 (EGR) where it lets you know the egr is not functioning properly/plugged in but it does not affect vehicle performance.

Anyways, the final answer is you must have an iacv plugged in for the engine to not run like poo.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NFrank89
so, there was a post i made earlier that got lost forever when i went to reply and it took me to the login page. back button wouldnt bring all that i had written back and i was pretty pissed. that post was pretty long and comprehensive. i believe that was the post where i explained that i have been checking codes and trying multiple ECU's the whole time. i was getting an IACV code but i assumed it would be similar to a code 12 (EGR) where it lets you know the egr is not functioning properly/plugged in but it does not affect vehicle performance.

Anyways, the final answer is you must have an iacv plugged in for the engine to not run like poo.
I have an H23 obd1 95 prelude.. and no code pops up but idles lil rough but the main thing is when I'm driving @ 1500 to 2700 rpms the car bog but once it passes that point it smoth no issues... the IACV is plugged in with lines running... I have checked the Fast idle valve aswell.. found one Leak at the By-pass solinoid.. any Ideas