Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

valet key no start car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valet key no start car??

ok so i've noticed that the red valet key i got with my 99 prelude will unlock the doors but not start the car. it will go into the ignition and turn but not start it. and when i take it out the green key light flashes for like ten seconds. if i use the regular black key it starts right away. but if i try the red key it wont. even if i use the red key and then quickly try the black one while the green key symbol is still flashing it wont start. i have to wait. is their anything that would cause this? i'm pretty sure its the correct valet key for the car because it works in the doors and turns in the ignition fine, but it just dosent make sense to me why it dosent make it start. any ideas on what it could be?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: valet key no start car?? (ludenoob99)

search. Top right of page in red!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valet key no start car?? (slamdlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slamdlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search. Top right of page in red!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey fuckstick

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FORUM RULES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5. RESPECT

Non-Compliance: Insulting newbies, telling people to search bluntly, or buy a helms, being argumentative for no good reason, poor attitude in posts, blatant flaming, condesceding tone in posts, being an ***, warping other people's threads for your own benefit etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not the valet key. It's the master immobilizer key.

That key will not start the car, but your black key shouldn't work now either since the red key is supposed to de-program your immobilizer when used in the ignition.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valet key no start car?? (MilanoLude)

so that key is only for reseting the imobilizer? what would be the point of me having that? obviously it only shuts something down for a short period of time so it cant be started.

and sorry i will do some more searching, previously searching for valet key didn't get me much info, maybe now that i know what it is it will help.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM

dont use the red key, i heard it was only for the tech's to use when needed
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a bad call on Honda's part with that red key and I'm not just speaking for myself. I haven't heard anything positive about it.

In case you lose all your keys: black & gray (valet key) you're supposed to be able to take the red key to the dealership to get another key cut and they use it to program the new key and immobilizer.

What's odd is that your car shouldn't recognize your keys now that you've used the red key... but I wouldn't worry too much about it if they work. Just forget about the red key now.