Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Need help with H22 high performance build

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with H22 high performance build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a H22 engine block. I was wondering what all parts would I need to make it push 400whp. I need to know the parts and where I can get them from. Money is no problem. I'm going to be doing this build myself except for the things the shop can only do. This will be my first import build(My Uncle is helping me). I have built Chevy v8's before. No nitrous but definitely turbo. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help with H22 high performance build

first things first .. sleeve that block. The h22 comes with FRM sleeves from factory ( which are actually stronger than iron sleeves ), but you want iron in a high performance motor due to aftermarket forged piston choices. Internally, you'll have to balance the crankshaft, upgrade to stonger pistons and rods ( e.g. JE forged, Eagle ), iron sleeves, and make sure block is straight and even. 400whp is easy with h22 and right Turbo, but the above steps must be performed from reliability and performance standpoints. Search this forum and you'll get a lot of ideas.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info. What type of turbo and crank to get. I have nothing but the bare block. I need to know the name brand parts for the build. Also would a stock ecu work with the modifications. If not where could I get one that would work. Should I pull the transmission out of a Prelude and build it up or find one that is built. Like I said before all I know about are the carbureted Chevy V8's with a four speed on the floor.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Read some of the FAQ, you will probally get most your answers looking at other post.
What state do you live in?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jakebrake
Thanks for the info. What type of turbo and crank to get. I have nothing but the bare block. I need to know the name brand parts for the build. Also would a stock ecu work with the modifications. If not where could I get one that would work. Should I pull the transmission out of a Prelude and build it up or find one that is built. Like I said before all I know about are the carbureted Chevy V8's with a four speed on the floor.
If money is not an issue then just send your block and head out to laskey racing to have them sleeve your motor and they can also help you out with the turbo setup. Best service and very knowledgable. Then send your transmission to gearspeed. I would get a h23 tranny and send that out to them.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 AM

I live in Georgia about 60 miles from Savannah. I want to build it up myself and I know a good shop (My cousin works there) in Savannah. I've meet some people that has used them before and they said they will go back to it. I need to know every part: Crank, Cam, Cam Gears, Head, Pistons, etc. and the brand the part is.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to know every part: Crank, Cam, Cam Gears, Head, Pistons, etc. and the brand the part is.
"...and Bryan, I need them by tonight."

lol. go ask someone else.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Pm JJSPEC, we live in Macon. Hes a distributor with everything you'll need.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by street_ride14
"...and Bryan, I need them by tonight."

lol. go ask someone else.

2 of these, the BIG ones.

and PS Bryan wasn't buying spray from himself, he bought them from Harry, the owner of the speed shop...DUH.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Georgia about 60 miles from Savannah. I want to build it up myself and I know a good shop (My cousin works there) in Savannah. I've meet some people that has used them before and they said they will go back to it. I need to know every part: Crank, Cam, Cam Gears, Head, Pistons, etc. and the brand the part is.
just send it to erl or something. you obviously have no idea of what you are doing so let the professionals do the work for you. with a built motor and turbo setup you are looking at 4-8k depending on the parts you use. good luck mr. deep pockets.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think what most of the guys here are getting at is there is a wealth of information available on the forum. Search around and do some reading; most guys here are not just going to spoon feed you info, especially considering that every setup is different and unique based on what your goals are. Take a look at the FAQ's and the dyno pages to get you going. If you have further questions once you start spec'ing parts, I'm sure people will be interested in helping you out pertaining to particular questions and not just vagueness.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM

I have looked on here for days(Haven't found much of what I need). The reason I'm doing this build is for my dad. I'm doing it for him as birthday present. His birthday is in July so I figured I have enough time to get it running. It will be going in his daily driver, which is 94 Del Sol S and yes I know about how to do the swap.

Last edited by Jakebrake; 12-21-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlude90
2 of these, the BIG ones.

and PS Bryan wasn't buying spray from himself, he bought them from Harry, the owner of the speed shop...DUH.
chill dude we can always get overnight parts from japan if we need to

forreal though dude here is what i say do if your iffy on the companies... go pick up the following - an issue of:
honda tuning magazine
import tuner magazine
super street magazine
modified mag
dsport magazine

all those featured cars have top of the line stuff so search for our parts from those comapnys

btw greddy is also trust... trust ships over night....
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by street_ride14
first things first .. sleeve that block. The h22 comes with FRM sleeves from factory ( which are actually stronger than iron sleeves ), but you want iron in a high performance motor due to aftermarket forged piston choices. Internally, you'll have to balance the crankshaft, upgrade to stonger pistons and rods ( e.g. JE forged, Eagle ), iron sleeves, and make sure block is straight and even. 400whp is easy with h22 and right Turbo, but the above steps must be performed from reliability and performance standpoints. Search this forum and you'll get a lot of ideas.
I'm in the same boat as OP.

My original H22 has 157k and is starting to puff some white smoke so I'm thinking nows the time to start taking it apart and build it right.

The thing is i'm a complete noob when it comes to engine building. I've done a lot suspension and replacing various components bolted on to the motor.. (starter alternator etc... )

The question I have though is aside from the stuff a shop has to do... how much welding etc... is really involved in a turbo setup

Anything that can be bolted on and off I want to learn to/do myself.....

I dont know how to weld though and I dont know anyone that can personally help me.

Whatever I do will be done from learning and reading anything and everything I can get my hands on online and in a few books I've bought, including the honda service manual.

I guess I dont want to start taking **** apart and then stuck with a car that cant run but should really be at a shop for a particular step.

All the block/head work I know a lot of which needs to be done at a machine shop... but I'm thinking it'll be much cheaper (and educational) if I can get stuff taken apart and ready to go a shop myself.

I dunno, is someone with no formal training or access to anyone personally that knows what the hell they are doing getting in over their head here? 400hp is also my stated goal (just beacuse its a nice round figure, nothing else to back that up yet... needs to be built reliably and without nos)

I dont need specific part suggestions like the OP... I plan on researching and learning about each component before getting started...

I know its probably best to get someone to do all this for me, but this car was to be a learning tool... so I really dont wanna just hand the keys and a check to someone...

Last edited by starbai; 12-21-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you use the Mahle Gold series pistons, you do not have to sleeve your block, as they are designed for FRM. If you have an H22A1 closed deck block, I would run those and a set of eagle rods for the bottom end. We have a couple of cars here running those with 500 horsepower on 93 octane.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM

http://www.honda-performance.com/npe...e_services.asp
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM

I was hoping to find someone who already did this and made 400whp to tell me what they used. I know almost nothing about an import so I want to know where I won't be wasting money(I have money but don't like to waste it if I can help it). If it was for my dad's drag car(86 Camaro 8.49 1/4 mile 383 blown stroker 800hp Built by my dad, brother, and me) I wouldn't be asking a question. If any guy is like me and when someone asks them a question about a car I will answer it if I can. I do that just to save them time(aggravation) and money. I also like seeing their car back driving. So please don't be a *** about my question.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having some background on the situation helps. You have to understand there are A LOT of people that come on these boards with no clue what they are doing or what they are talking about and start their threads off exactly like yours. In 99% of the cases, they just need to go read and learn so they have an idea what they are talking about. I'm an n/a guy, so I'm not going to be of much help in the turbo department.
How concerned are you about motor longevity and what how much will this thing get beat on? That will determine some things like what grade of parts you need (like just getting the crank re-worked, or getting a good aftermarket crank; econo rods or top-of-the-line, etc).
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, I will also recommend going through the dyno pages and see what people are running. I don't look much at the turbo builds, but I can guarantee someone has done 400whp before. PM them and see if they were satisfied with the parts they bought and how the build went.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm looking for good longevity and it's going to only be beat like a few times a month. My dad babies this car and he will probably baby it after the swap. I'm the only one that will try it. And do you think I can get 400whp from this motor if I don't turbo it or will it be cheaper to turbo it(The turbo whine gets old after a while). I've been searching every where for info. The only info I can find are the brands of part that people used. After I reply each time, I always go to google and search different websites for this build. If anybody could see my computer history they would see the time I have put into research. I will also be checking the dyno pages again.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Darton Dry sleeves
any 9:1 compression piston
budget rods

Talk to Laskey Racing, Jim Justice Racing Engines, Golden Eagle, ERL...etc They all offer full machining services and block building inhouse.

leave the head alone
tubular manifold (no log BS)
QUALITY wastegate and BOV (Tial)
engine tuning (eCtune, Neptune, Hondata, AEM..etc)

done. easy 400whp.
________
Om603

Last edited by q16racer; 03-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're going to have to go turbo to hit 400whp. N/A, a good build will get you around 250whp, S/C can get you around 300whp-ish. If he's not going to push it hard, you could look at a supercharger setup with a 100 shot. Give you the extra kick when you really want it, but otherwise a solid 300whp the rest of the day.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To The OP..

I just finished an JDMh22a Build..

Mahle Gold Series Pistons (higher compression) w/ Rods
Port and Polished head
S300 Hondata ECU

Waiting on a price quote from the Custom Rosco Fuel Rail using the MDX Injectors..but until then it's heading for the Dyno end of the week..Other add ons include AEM Cold Air Intake, Custom Headers, Skunk2 Racing Intake Manifold..

Being optimistic but the guy I built it for is hoping for close to 230whp and maybe 170lb-ft torque or more after a good tune. me personally I think it'll nail that 250 mark right in the *** and i'm crossing my fingers for 200lb-ft torque..Drove the thing for 2 seconds and it's an animal...I think it's there.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WavyIntegra
To The OP..

I just finished an JDMh22a Build..

Mahle Gold Series Pistons (higher compression) w/ Rods
Port and Polished head
S300 Hondata ECU

Waiting on a price quote from the Custom Rosco Fuel Rail using the MDX Injectors..but until then it's heading for the Dyno end of the week..Other add ons include AEM Cold Air Intake, Custom Headers, Skunk2 Racing Intake Manifold..

Being optimistic but the guy I built it for is hoping for close to 230whp and maybe 170lb-ft torque or more after a good tune. me personally I think it'll nail that 250 mark right in the *** and i'm crossing my fingers for 200lb-ft torque..Drove the thing for 2 seconds and it's an animal...I think it's there.
This scares me.......People like this shouldn't be building engines.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NirVTEC
This scares me.......People like this shouldn't be building engines.

Like this? WHat do you mean by that?

For your information I scowered through more then several HUNDRED pages of information on SEVERAL forums including this one before I went about my build. I bought SPECIFIC stones to HONE out FRM cylinders, Researched PROPER FRM Safe Pistons AND RINGS and with a Chiltons in close proximity I WENT IN and DID THE DAMN THING and the motor and CAR both RUN FINE..

Because i'm being OPTIMISTIC before an actual DYNO run I have to be segregated in the "LIKE THIS" category? **** YOU..I didn't come here with no chip on my shoulder, i didn't come here with an attitude or like I was bigger or badder then anyone, I came here HUMBLED, I came EAGER to learn and DID from THIS SITE and OTHERS and succeeded in my build! Don't you ever in your life attempt to set urself apart from me or another person at their expense you've got some ****ing nerve. I was trying to hand the OP some gems through experience not **** ON HIM, grow the **** up.

Quick Reply: Need help with H22 high performance build