Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

turn signal delay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal delay?

Im new to the forum but not to cars. Anyhow, I just bought a 98 auto base about 2 weeks ago. it was kept up pretty well with only a few scratches and dings. anyway. My question is: when i go to move the turn signal lever, there is a pause, then i get the blinking light. I have owned an 87 accord, 94 GSR, 93 RX7, 87 RX7, etc etc and none of them did this. Is this is a normal prelude thing? its kind of annoying, although the lights do work, theres just a strange pause..thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turn signal delay? (onefastrx7turbo)

no one can tell me if their 5th gen does this??
Old 06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Mine doesn't.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but try replacing whatever relay controls the turn signals. It could be getting sticky or dying or something.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turn signal delay? (xthephilx)

Thanks phil. I was thinking that too. maybe the relay or something in that area. I just wanted to see if this was a normal prelude thing before I started trying to chase a problem that doesnt exist.

neil
Old 06-05-2005, 02:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefastrx7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks phil. I was thinking that too. maybe the relay or something in that area. I just wanted to see if this was a normal prelude thing before I started trying to chase a problem that doesnt exist.

neil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not a problem

I know for sure that it turns on immediately because I single-flash to indicate corners when i'm rallying and I only need to tap the turn signal stick (is there a name for that?) to make the signal blink.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefastrx7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks phil. I was thinking that too. maybe the relay or something in that area. I just wanted to see if this was a normal prelude thing before I started trying to chase a problem that doesnt exist.

neil</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just bought a 2000 base and I am having the same problem. After I turn the signal on there is about a 1 second delay before the turn signal comes on. I was just wondering if the turn signal relay was the problem or if you tracked it down to something else.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turn signal delay? (JBzaLude)

actually I have a 95 prelude that does this too. I can tell you I used to have a 92 and It did not have the delay. and phil says he has a 94 that doesnt. So maybe in 95 they used different electronics for the relay. Or something is messed up?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefastrx7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My question is: when i go to move the turn signal lever, there is a pause, then i get the blinking light. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Have you checked the switch. I've seen a few with sticking contacts that do as you describe.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turn signal delay? (Chiovnidca)

actually, I checked the relay and it appeared to click as soon as i fed it voltage. So, I left it at that and decided to just put up with the annoying delay. i looked on slhondaparts and it looks like all preludes 92+ use the same part number flasher relay. fyi, the hazards go through the same relay, and they have a pause when i turn them on as well. I would say it was the relay, but I guess I dont care enough to fix it right now

neil
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefastrx7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually, I checked the relay and it appeared to click as soon as i fed it voltage. So, I left it at that and decided to just put up with the annoying delay. i looked on slhondaparts and it looks like all preludes 92+ use the same part number flasher relay. fyi, the hazards go through the same relay, and they have a pause when i turn them on as well. I would say it was the relay, but I guess I dont care enough to fix it right now

neil</TD></TR></TABLE>
I get the delay for the hazards as well. My last car, a 94 accord, had a similar problem with the blinkers but it didnt do it all the time. The relay would click for about 4-5 seconds before the actual lights began to flash. I ended up being the switch on the steering column. The only thing that makes me think that it is the relay is because it does it all the time.

It really isn't a big deal at all but I am too **** about little things on my car. Nobody pays attention to it but me.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: turn signal delay? (JBzaLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JBzaLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really isn't a big deal at all but I am too **** about little things on my car. Nobody pays attention to it but me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry. That'll all change once the big things start breaking