Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

TURBO PRELUDE NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO PRELUDE NEED HELP

I have a turbo prelude has around 17xxx miles on fully built motor... My problem that I'm having is that it's smoking white smoke and leaking coolant. It all started one night when I was running the car. I heard a rattling noise on my hot side of turbo and came to figure that the screws on the hot side the ones that hold the hot side that are attached to the circle ring on the outside were loose and 4 bolts were missing... So I took it with one of my buddies and when I got there the turbo was super loose like u could move the cold side and it would move like if it was loose.. So we took out turbo and put the bolts back on and bolted everything right back up when we turned it on it was smoking white that was the first time it started to smoke.. I just figured it was water or oil that fell on downpipe when we had taken off the lines... My turbo is a gtx3076r ball bearing oil and water cooled.. So after that I just ran it dude some pulls but it still was smoking... After that I stopped it and took it home after that I just drove it and it started to smoke when u turned it on and waited 10 min then when it got hot it would throw the white smoke and it wouldn't. Stop only when u drove it... So basically throws white smoke and leaks coolant.. Before it was leaking oil too but came to the conclusion that the oil turbo feed line was loose tighten it and it stopped leaking oil... I came to figure too that my turbo water line is loose only one but I haven't tightened that one... I did a diagnostic by blocking off the water lines of the turbo and see if it stopped smoking but it didn't I was still smoking... So I put the lines back....the car is not leaking oil or burning oil and no water is in the oil everything is fine the car drives fine... But just today I was looking at my boost guage and it normally starts to spool at the -20 on the boost guage but now it started spooling at -10... But I mean it still makes boost... I have not hit fully boost cause car is on 17 lbs of boost and don't want to **** anything. So now it's spooling slower... All of my friends I have talk to say it's my turbo seals but I mean if it the turbo I'm gonna spend a lot in getting one so I don't want to spend that much.. in my opinion is that head gasket is bad or seals on pistons are bad I need help deciding wat will it be.. Turbo seals or head valve seals or head gasket or piston rings or piston.. I need to know asap. The leaking coolant I think is that turbo water line but I'll fix my concern is the smokes
Old 09-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TURBO PRELUDE NEED HELP

Do a coolant pressure test on the cooling system.
You will find out if you are leaking somewhere.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it's leaking from the turbo oil lik cause its loose but it still Donst explain the smoke coming out I mean I blocked off the water lines to turbo and it still smoked... But I mean I was looking at it today and in the day the smoke looks kind blue tbh I mean it could be my rings but u have to consider that my car is turbo and it could be that the turbo seals are out and that it's burning oil from there... I'm not sure Wich one turbo seals or rings but I mean it looks white in the night the smoke
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant turbo water line is loose
Old 09-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pressure test the cooling system, and you will know if its the turbo or the engine.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That's the engine, not the turbo..your friends are idiots for thinking it is "seals". It's a real Garrett, not some Precision unit waiting to whole like an IED.

pressure test your engine system