Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

tranny help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny help!!

hi everyone i am in desprate need of some help with my tranny. I have a 94 lude witha h22a vtec and for the past couple months my car was having trouble finding 5th gear. it was like the gear wasnt there. i would have to shift bac into 4th and then try 5th again until it worked. also sometimes when i would hav to shift back into 4th it would be hard to get it into gear. and now the other day i was turnng a corner and it made some bad sounds and wouldnt go. it was really hard to even get it into gear and when it was in nutral and i took my foot off the clutch the car would die as if it was in gear. also when i got it into 1st and tryed to take off it would rev up but not go.

thats my story but my concern is that i hav the tranny out and the clutch does have a lot of wear and needs replaced but the guy at the auto store said it should still drive. also when i shift it into the gears on the tranny they all work fine except one gear it wont go into. im not sure if its 1st oor 5th but im thinking its 5th. my main problem is i just had 5h 4th and i think 3rd gears replaced along with all my syncros about 20k miles ago, but clutch was like new at this time so it was not replaced acording to family machinic.

is there any way of checking my tranny without taking it apart? or has anyone ad he same problem and it only being the clutch? i am temped to take it to tranny shop but i would hate to pay money for them to say nothing is wrong or it needs fixed and im sure they charge a lot to fix. also if someone can explain what gears r witch when shifting right from the tranny so i no what gear it is. (the gear thats not working would be the gear closest to the tranny and away from motor if tranny was connected. i think its 5th but not 100%)

any info i can get from anyone would be a lor of help.

thanks a lot for reading my post.