Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Tein HA vs. Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein HA vs. Tein Flex

I'm contemplating buying the Tein HA or Tein Flex used.. and I cant seem to find any HA vs. Flex topics anywhere since the HA were discontinued before the Flex even came out. Anyways, my car is a daily driver(and the roads here arent great).. but I will be auto-x'ing this summer. I also do NOT intend on getting EDFC.

So far what I've gathered is this:
Tein HA has higher spring rates
Tein Flex comes with pillowballs... easier install
Tein Flex is teflon-coated.. prevent rusting

Does anyone have any experience with both? Any insight? Recommendations?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Tein HA vs. Tein Flex (luder99)

The flex also allows you to lower the car without losing spring rate, whereas with the HAs when you lower it you in a sence lose spring rate.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Tein HA vs. Tein Flex (4bidden)

does this occur right after you lower below stock height? Or does this occur at a certain lowered level?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tein HA vs. Tein Flex (4bidden)

Eh? HA's and actually all Tein main springs are linear so why would you "loose" spring rate by lowering the car? With the collar all the way up, or all the way down, the springs are still going to be holding the car's weight.

Tein Flex's are a waste of money as anything below the HA level Tein struts are really not worth it. Plus the surface coat is still crap. (BTW I have the HA's so it's not like I hate Tein) Personally I'd just get a good shock and spring combo (koni, tokico, KYB, etc) along with a set of Tanabe spring or Eibach ERS's.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what differentiates the FLEX from the HA's is that ride height adj. is independent from suspension travel.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (bad-monkey)

Basically, the FLEX is more suitable for street use and occasional track use. The ride comfort is more suitable than the HA.

The FLEX do come with upper PB mounts. The HA, you can purchase an upper PB mount kit. The FLEX have Teflon coating to protect from rust and it's compatible with EFDC. Also, the FLEX is easier to adjust ride height.

The HA is made for every day hardcore track driving. The ride quality is not suitable for daily driving. It also have a helping spring to stop spring rattle.

Since your car is set-up for daily driving and occasional auto-xing, I recommend you go with the FLEX.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (Sticky Tires)

I agree with the above post. For everyday driving and the occasional auto cross, I would say the Tien Flex would suit you best.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the_eyecon)

I have the HA's and my car is driven daily. I wouldn't want the car anyother way. (I do like a stiff car though) It's still comfortable without the upper pillow pall mounts. so that's the way I drive it. With the Upper pillow ball mounts it's WAY TOO NOISEY!!! My girlfriend even loves driving the car and dosn't complain about the stiffness of the ride.
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Tein HA vs. Tein Flex (TimeRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TimeRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eh? HA's and actually all Tein main springs are linear so why would you "loose" spring rate by lowering the car? With the collar all the way up, or all the way down, the springs are still going to be holding the car's weight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, thats right I guess...I was thinking about it all wrong. No matter if you lower it a half inch or 2.5 inches, it still supports the same weight so will put the same load on the spring.