Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

tapping, chatter noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping, chatter noise

last week when i was driving home i noticed a virbration noise as the rpms dropped while i downshifted getting off the interstate! it sounded like a heat sheild rattle or a loose exhaust manifold or possibly a blown exhaust gasket, after further investigation of the exhaust system i found no problems, the sound comes from the clutch area, gets worse wtih the rpms and gets muffled when i push in the clutch, well i needed a new clutch anyways so i replaced it, checked the fly wheel, replaced slave cyclinder, throwout bearing, clutch disk and the pressure plate. still makes the same noise, still comming out of the bellhousing/tranny area. i checked to see for play in the input shaft bearing and it was all good, no loose or shaking, i dont' know what it is the car drives fine but is super loud when i am shifting. the gears shift fine, no crunching or bad shifts, some one said the clutch fork could be worn down and the throwout bearing might be vibrating on it, which would explain the noise dampening wehn the clutch pedal is depressed, but i still don't knwo whyat is going on. anyone have a clue?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tapping, chatter noise

you get the flywheel machined?, and make sure you got a honda oem t/o bearing. that could be you problem
Old 03-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
you get the flywheel machined?, and make sure you got a honda oem t/o bearing. that could be you problem

why would i need an oem t/o bearing? and no i didn't get the flywheel machined.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oem t/o is more reliable than any other t/o bearing.... natchi is the name im pretty sure check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvc7O...eature=related
sounds like a bad t/o bearing... if you got similar sound than its most likely that. and usually when you put in a new clutch you should either get a new flywheel or get the old 1 machined because the surface may be unleveled.....
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oem t/o is more reliable than any other t/o bearing.... natchi is the name im pretty sure check this out

sounds like a bad t/o bearing... if you got similar sound than its most likely that. and usually when you put in a new clutch you should either get a new flywheel or get the old 1 machined because the surface may be unleveled.....
Everything stated here is absolutely....correct.

When I replaced my clutch about 5k miles ago, I used the T/O bearing from the OEM replacement kit I got at AutoWeDontKnowShitZone. Less than a month later, it started the cricket chirp.

Last edited by Kronn 98SH; 03-06-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvc7O...eature=related

holty crap that is the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but how i just put a new t/o in it?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shooter93
holy crap that is the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but how do i just put a new t/o in it?
Same exact process as replacing the clutch, except you leave the clutch alone and just replace the bearing. Throwout bearing is aka clutch release bearing. Honda Part# 22810-P21-003. SLhondaparts.com and hondaautomotiveparts.com charge ~$45+tax+S/H. Stealership charges ~$60+tax.

And while you're in there, take the flywheel out to get resurfaced.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea you got to take off the tranny casing and replace the T/O bearing with OEM honda t/o bearing. Few people i know who got there clutch replaced (mostly ACT clutches) came with aftermarket t/o bearing and within 500 miles the t/o bearing started to chirp and make all kinds of noises. and as kronn said get the flywheel resurfaced while the trannys dropped.

also when the car is running and you push in the clutch does the noise go away?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also when the car is running and you push in the clutch does the noise go away?
Originally Posted by shooter93
the sound comes from the clutch area, gets worse wtih the rpms and gets muffled when i push in the clutch
Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 PM

but i just put a new t/o bearing in it, as soon as i was done and started up the car, same noise, so is it bad out of the box? i mean i won't argue, that noise in the video above is the same noise but idk i just can't imagine it not being right straight out of the box!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha im an idiot
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
New User

Hey, I know this is a bit old but, just wondering if this chirping has been resolved? I just had my clutch changed with an OEM replacement, and it's chirping like mad. It's very loud. When you press the clutch pedal the chirping goes away completely. I noticed that as I'm pressing the clutch pedal the chirping goes away. At the point where the chirping starts to fade I can feel a slight pulsating in the pedal itself but that too goes away once the clutch pedal is fully pressed. I'm guessing it's the release (throwout) bearing, but I'm wondering if it could be the fork pivot as well. The car never did this before. Could the fork pivot somehow not mate properly with the OEM replacement pilot bearing? Could it be just a bad bearing?

The shop that did the clutch job told me to see if the noise goes away after a week. I somehow doubt it'll ever go away. The thing is, could I cause damage driving around with this? It drives and shifts fine otherwise, it's just this annoying noise and the pedal pulsating that will drive me nuts.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Chirping = T/O bearing
Pulsing = Something else
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to macgyver a tube to spray wd40 on the TO bearing through the transmission window thing. It stops the chirping noise for a while. Luckily the noise eventfully went away altogether.