Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Stripped bolts!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped bolts!!

There are 2 bolts on my 4th gen that are stripped on one of my wheels. First off, is this safe to drive on? Secondly, to fix it can I just hammer em out and put new ones in or will i have to replace the whole thing?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (jdmh22luda)

are you talking about the lug studs? if you are, you will need to remove the brake rotor to replace them. don't even bother trying if you don't have air tools becuase the screws holding on the brake rotor will strip out before the break loose with a regular screw driver. most wheel/tire shops will do it for fairly cheap, say $50 or less.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (jdmh22luda)

I replaced all of my wheel studs recently, and you can certainly do it with a hammer and basic tools.

The rears are simple, just take the wheel, brake calipers and rotors off and hammer them out out. Then use a nut and washer to pull them through all the way.

The fronts can be hammered out, but the knuckle gets in the way...I had to grind mine down a bit--

And for those rotor screws, just put the correct size phillips head bit on a wrench or breaker bar and carefully unscrew it...it will come off easily.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (TurboBA8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboBA8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about the lug studs? if you are, you will need to remove the brake rotor to replace them. don't even bother trying if you don't have air tools becuase the screws holding on the brake rotor will strip out before the break loose with a regular screw driver. most wheel/tire shops will do it for fairly cheap, say $50 or less.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheels studs are not hard to replace it just requires the right tools. Taking off the rotors is the first step but not the only. You will more than likely need an impact screw driver to remove those screws. Just put the bit in and hammer the end to turn it(that is if you can't use a regular screw driver). You will then need to take off the hub/axle nut, I believe it is reverse threaded and you will need prevent the hub from turning while you try to losen the nut. Then use a slide hammer to pull off the hub. From there you can pound out the offending studs and them put in your new ones. If you don't have the tools or don't have the money to buy the tools or are unconfident in how to do it. Have a tire shop do it... save a headache

Old 08-03-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced all of my wheel studs recently, and you can certainly do it with a hammer and basic tools.

The rears are simple, just take the wheel, brake calipers and rotors off and hammer them out out. Then use a nut and washer to pull them through all the way.

The fronts can be hammered out, but the knuckle gets in the way...I had to grind mine down a bit--

[img]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTI0NTM1NzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg[img]

And for those rotor screws, just put the correct size phillips head bit on a wrench or breaker bar and carefully unscrew it...it will come off easily.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHHAHAHAHH grindage... Hooray Grinder!!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced all of my wheel studs recently, and you can certainly do it with a hammer and basic tools.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

holly grinder!! hahaha

I just pulled the knuckes, pressed out the hubs, intalled the new ARP studs then pressed the hubs back in the knuckles with new bearings.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (darkspector2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkspector2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HAHAHHAHAHAHH grindage... Hooray Grinder!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, well I'd rather grind than press hubs on and off
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Haha, well I'd rather grind than press hubs on and off </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I understand. It ended up costing another $150 or so in parts and labor.......
Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (darkspector2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkspector2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You will then need to take off the hub/axle nut, I believe it is reverse threaded
</TD></TR></TABLE>
no it is not reverse threaded, regular threads on the spindle nuts, they are just tight
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Stripped bolts!! (Speedra500)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speedra500 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no it is not reverse threaded, regular threads on the spindle nuts, they are just tight</TD></TR></TABLE>

thx for clearing that up for him..

As far as paying for it I had Les Schwab do more than 1 for me and it was like $50... although for as much as I've spend on having them do that I could've bought the tools and do it myself