Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Steering wheel shake while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shake while driving

Ok guys I've got a difficult and annoying problem. My steering wheel shakes somewhat intermittently at highway speeds around 60 and 70mph. The weird thing is I notice it most at around 60 and it seems to be worst going downhill with the cruise on but when the engine is slowing the car down, it becomes less harsh when you go back uphill and the engine starts pulling a load again. But it is very noticeable on the interstate at 70 too. It's a 1992 prelude 5spd, with lots of new front end parts. Brakes are pretty new and it brakes nice and smooth. Just got brand new wheels and tires and I balanced them myself, although could use a double check but I don't think that's my issue. New rack and pinion, new outer tie rod ends, new upper control arms/ball joints. Lower ball joints are older but seem to not have play. All the suspension on the car is tight. Also have done alignments on it myself (I work at an automotive shop btw) and it is good. Like I said though, it stumps the hell out of me because sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. Most of the time it shakes pretty well and predictably, but if there's a slight turn in a road and the wind hits it from a different direction it pretty much smooths out. It looks like it might have the factory struts on it but they don't seem blown out, I do have aftermarket coil overs to put on it just haven't done it yet. Anybody have any idea at all? Maybe needs some new bushings in lower control arms or something? I'm pretty sure it needs trailing arm bushings replaced pretty bad because going down the interstate the *** end whips around like it's pissed off and it's almost scary, but that wouldn't cause the steering wheel shake. Anyway, and input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear drums needing resurfacing/replacing depending if it happens when lightly breaking, bubbles in tire, to name a couple possibilities.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering wheel shake while driving

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Rear drums needing resurfacing/replacing depending if it happens when lightly breaking, bubbles in tire, to name a couple possibilities.
Well it has disc brakes all the way around, but it's not brakes anyway, it brakes perfectly smooth. It's not tires because I've had 2 sets of tires on it and same exact outcome no matter what. It's kind of got me stumped
Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How old are the axles and what brand are you using ?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Aftermarket rims?

Could be as simple as needing hubcentric rings.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced the cv shafts less than a month ago with re-man shafts from Napa. And it does have aftermarket rims but it did this with my factory rims too. I've not heard much about hubcentric rings, my guess is they are designed to keep the wheel perfectly centered on the hub. I might give that a try but I don't think that's the problem. It's so weird because the wind will even affect it, sometimes with a head wind it shakes like a bastard, but I was driving about 60mph home tonight and I can't remember which way the wind was blowing but it was almost completely smooth. I've got this nightmare to figure out and also either a rare misfire or clutch slipping. Almost too much to handle
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a simple idea and I'm sure uve done it already. But did u try rebalancing the rims?

And check that the rotors are mounted completely flush on the hubs?

My opinion is that you're overthinking when the shaking occurs. Intermittent shaking may simply be wind shear that stabilizes the car making it not shake when the reality is in a vacuum, it would always shake. I've never really run across intermittent vibration
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by backinblue92
This is a simple idea and I'm sure uve done it already. But did u try rebalancing the rims?

And check that the rotors are mounted completely flush on the hubs?

My opinion is that you're overthinking when the shaking occurs. Intermittent shaking may simply be wind shear that stabilizes the car making it not shake when the reality is in a vacuum, it would always shake. I've never really run across intermittent vibration
Yes this is intermittent and confusing. I just ordered hub centric rings and sometime soon I'll take all my wheels off and re-balance them and also install the rings when I do that. Like I said, I'm almost positive that's not the problem but it's worth a shot, and I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with the brakes because I can be going 80mph and slightly press on the brakes and gradually press harder and it brakes nice and smooth like it should. It'll probably be a couple weeks, but like I said, I'll re-balance wheels and install rings and see what that does. Thanks for the input guys
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...r-did-2572614/
Read through it and try adjusting the rack guide screw just like how this guy explains it, see if it helps your issue at all.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thirsk66
https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...r-did-2572614/
Read through it and try adjusting the rack guide screw just like how this guy explains it, see if it helps your issue at all.
Thanks, I'll give that a try too. In a couple weeks I'll get back on and let everyone know what happens between re-balancing, installing hub-centric rings, and adjusting the rack.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be warped rotor
Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

cheapest deal i could find on the 40mm wrench:

07AAA-TL2A100 - Genuine Honda RACK GUIDE WR,40MM - Honda Parts Online
Old 04-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChinoxCochino
could be warped rotor
It's nothing in the brake system, it brakes perfectly smooth as it should. My boss has a small hunch it may be some type of a shudder in the clutch system (he's an ase certified master tech) which wouldn't surprise me because I know the guy who had the car before me put a used tranny in it with a cheap *** xtd eBay clutch and I doubt he even replaced the flywheel. Plus, when I go up hills on a hard load now for example in 4th gear going about 4,000 rpm, it has a very noticeable shudder in the car which is either a misfire under hard load or the clutch is starting to slip. I will probably put my hub centric rings in this Saturday and let everyone know what it does. That's all I've got for now
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I for one have installed an eBay XTD clutch kit with 10lb flywheel on my old 99 civic ex with a b20b engine. Those clutches are good but with anything the more you romp on it the more likely its gonna have issues, plus most of everything that is made for our cars on ebay is China parts. I would replace the clutch and flywheel and throw-out bearing if you suspect it being bad. Your issue with going up hills under hard load sound like an ignition issue maybe within the distributor itself or need to change the spark plugs, cap and rotor and see where it gets you.

Last edited by thirsk66; 04-14-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thirsk66, thanks for posting that, honestly that's the first time I ever heard of that. I was going to replace my steering rack as I have a thunk when turning right and left and I already know my inner tie-rods are junk(mevotech junk I bought a while back).

I'm going to pick up one of those wrenches and give this a try. I'm really surprised the op isn't giving your post any thought. This might just be the thing that is causing my steering shake I've noticed over the last couple years or so even though my alignment is great, but I still have a slight pull to the right that I can't get rid of AND it doesn't affect my tire wear.

You learn something new ever day.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, yesterday I re-balanced all my wheels and installed my hub-centric rings. The balance wasn't bad, I perfected it but they were only off by half an ounce. The Lude drives MUCH better now. Thanks so much for recommending those. I can't believe how much of a difference they made, before the steering wheel shook like a **** on the interstate around 70-75mph, now it almost drives like a new car. I didn't have much hope for those little rings but this definitely made me a believer.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad that helped, I had to buy a set when I got my rims.